Gibson Brands Forums

Hi what is worth more between these custom models?

gibsonrene

I am thinking of buying a LP custom 2012 in very good condition black beauty for 3200 eur.....

But there is another offer    Customshop 58 Reissue VOS  for same price....

what is worth more? I presume 58? ANd for how many percent?

Basically I just want a black beauty...it looks the most beautiful guitar to me ever...

The new one is 4500 eur, and I got offer for 2012 for 3200 eur....seller does not want to go lower

If all you are concerned about is which one is worth more, go with that one. Or play them both and see which one you like better. And if you can’t play either, then you will be playing the one you buy. I have no idea what 3200 Euros is compared to USD. I’m thinking a lot.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Of the two, the Custom Shop '58 Reissue VOS is worth more. 

In my opinion, the one you really want, the LP Custom Black Beauty is priced just about right, if it's in really splendid condition. 
The Custom Shop jobbie is priced lower than normal at 3200 Euros. 
(They go for a thousand more than that, on Reverb anyway.)
Maybe it's not in such great shape. 
Or the seller just wants to be rid of it. 

Either way, you should get the one that you really want, and not worry about getting a deal on something you don't particularly crave. 

😛

• Like 1

Just now, sparquelito said:

In my opinion, the one you really want, the LP Custom Black Beauty is priced just about right, if it's in really splendid condition. 

Either way, you should get the one that you really want, and not worry about getting a deal on something you don't particularly crave. 

😛

i bought the black beauty.....it is in almost mint condition......the best guitar I ever played.....

it was hanging on the wall most of the time for 10 years....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

😛

BB go for 4000 eur on reverb....I doubt that....

the seller was 80 yo....his wife bought it for him when he was 70 yo....and he cant play it because the neck is too narrow or something and probaly his artritic condition is the reason......the guitar never left his flat....the only damagd is a little blemish where the wall hanger holds the guitar near the headstock and that was pretty much all...

it was never gigged....well taken care off, mint frets...mint case.....i think I was really lucky.....

is there a way you can polish that blemish out on nitro? I mean it is there if you look closely.....but it does not bother me.....

note to self....always buy guitar from 80 yo people....

Edited by gibsonrene
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, gibsonrene said:

.....the guitar never left his flat....the only damagd is a little blemish where the wall hanger holds the guitar near the headstock and that was pretty much all...

is there a way you can polish that blemish out on nitro? I mean it is there if you look closely.....but it does not bother me.....

I would use a piece of terrycloth (or any rough rag) and some automotive paste wax. 
The blemish will rub right off, and you will have a beautiful waxed finish. 

Mind you don't get any of the wax in crevice's, cracks, or seams. 
You would have a devil of a time getting the dried residue out of there. 

Some would use a small amount of lighter fluid or WD-40 first. 
That's fine, but be sure to wax again over that. 

My personal favorite is a liquid Carnauba wax product. 
Over here it's Turtle Wax Express Shine, or Wax N Dry, same thing. 

I have used it on all my cars, motorcycles, and guitars for at least 20 years now. 
No dried reside, ever. 

😛

t1UER1_AS03?hei=536&wid=536&$adapimg$=

uh i am afraid to do it with wd40....it is GIBSON CUSTOM....

So you are saying there is no damage in nitro and in fact the soft pads on guitar wall arm kind f left it residue?

I bought this a while ago for my car...is that the same thing?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B07SR37WBL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by gibsonrene

17 minutes ago, gibsonrene said:

uh i am afraid to do it with wd40....it is GIBSON CUSTOM....

So you are saying there is no damage in nitro and in fact the soft pads on guitar wall arm kind f left it residue?

I bought this a while ago for my car...is that the same thing?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B07SR37WBL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@gibsonrene, if at all possible, I'd take it to someone reputable that can restore the finish since the potential to screw this one up is high when you start "experimenting" with stuff.  I mean, you are asking here, so you aren't in the know about what to use, how to do it, etc.  I personally wouldn't finish touch-up work because I have a guy for that.  It's worth the extra cost whatever small cost it is to take care of your $4k instrument.  You could end up having to refinish not only the original blemish, but refinish the bad refin attempt.  Just my advice here.  I'd hate for you to something you did or put on it.  Not saying that the suggestions here are wrong or the like, just saying that you could have peace of mind giving this to someone who HAS restored nitro finish before on something like a Gibson.  Again, reputable being key word here.  Don't cheapy out on someone either.  It's like buying a nice car and putting garbage tires on it.  I call it putting good money to bad.  Good luck - and we need pics of that LP Custom haha!