Gibson Brands Forums

1963 Gibson Hummingbird

uyasgali

I just wanted to post some pics of my old girl. This guitar was made in the Kalamazoo (sp) plant. Either the bridge is not original or they used plastic bridges that year. I bought the guitar in 1975 for $300 dollars and have played it a lot so I figure I got my monies worth.

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Thanks, I try to keep her out of harms way. Still there are a few dings in it (mostly from the previous owner). I have a special custom made case made out of plywood and wrapped in aluminum. The guitar weighs a pound or two and the case weighs about 60 pounds!

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I'm very envious :-

I have several unfulfilled ambitions and two of them are to own an ES-330 and a Hummingbird from my year of birth - 1963 :)

Have you ever played her and a Bozeman Hummingbird together to compare?

I'll give you $400.00.

That's just so you can say you made a hundred on the deal. You have to cover shipping and insurance though.

Deal?

Hope my bird looks half as good in thirty years.

The case was $200. I wouldn't sell it for anything...well uh.

Beautiful' date=' beautiful, beautiful! I'm very envious :-$

I have several unfulfilled ambitions and two of them are to own an ES-330 and a Hummingbird from my year of birth - 1963 :)

Have you ever played her and a Bozeman Hummingbird together to compare?[/quote']

You can make me an offer but be prepared to be rejected:-"

Never played another Hummingbird but I have a J45 from Montana. The Hummingbird is better made and sounds better but then again they are different guitars.

I was in Cleveland Ohio when I decided to get a decent guitar. I hadn't seen much in the pawn shops and stores but I saw an add in the newspaper that read like this: guitars for sale Gibson Hummingbird, Martin D18, Fender Stratocaster and Telecastor, Ovation.

I thought what the heck let me call this guy. So I did and his wife answers and tells me her husband is in Detroit. That he works on the railroads but I can come over and see the guitars. So she gives me the address and I go over there. She is vey nice and has me sit on the couch. From there I see all of these guitar cases lined up in the dining room. She brings me a glass of iced tea and asked what I wanted to see. I said the guitars and she pointed to the lineup as she sat down and said to help myself.

I opened the 1st case and it was the Martin, I opened the 2nd case and it was the Hummingbird. I never even looked at the rest. I went back to the couch and played a chord, then picked a little and looked her over while I casually asked the lady how much money she wanted for this Gibson. She said $300 dollars. I pulled three crisp one hundred dollar bills from my shirt pocket and laid it on the coffe table, finished my tea and put her in the battered case and said thanks, left and never looked back.

That is a Price for sure / I know the music gets better with time / I also have a '63' Hummingbird Custom and I get it in 1973 for $350.00 / Yours looks just like mind but my bird has the Custom on the headstock plate / I don't know what the difference is but I know you have a good one / when I got my bird the Humming bird was faded / I see yours in good shape for 46 years old. I sure enjoy mine and love to share my music with others.

Thats for showing it: You don't see to many of them around or I don't anyway.

Enjoy that Gibson - God Bless - spanishoaknc :( http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss224/spanishoaknc/th_PaulDeanGospelMusic.jpghttp://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss224/spanishoaknc/th_GibsonCustomHummingbird.jpghttp://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss224/spanishoaknc/th_HummingbirdCustom1963.jpg

That is a Price for sure / I know the music gets better with time / I also have a '63' Hummingbird Custom and I get it in 1973 for $350.00 / Yours looks just like mind but my bird has the Custom on the headstock plate / I don't know what the difference is but I know you have a good one / when I got my bird the Humming bird was faded / I see yours in good shape for 46 years old. I sure enjoy mine and love to share my music with others.

Thats for showing it: You don't see to many of them around or I don't anyway.

Enjoy that Gibson - God Bless - spanishoaknc :- http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss224/spanishoaknc/th_PaulDeanGospelMusic.jpghttp://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss224/spanishoaknc/th_GibsonCustomHummingbird.jpghttp://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss224/spanishoaknc/th_HummingbirdCustom1963.jpg

It might be the bridge yours should be rosewood and mine is some sort of plastic.

My bridge is rosewood with a inlay dot on each side / One thing I like about my bridge is you can adjust the bridge in setup. / Myles, I would like to hear the two Hummingbirds playing together in a song or two. I've had my Guitar longer than anything I own and she is a dream to play / I know you enjoy yours.

Good talking to you.

God Bless - spanishoaknc :- th_PaulDeanGospelMusic.jpg

My bridge is rosewood with a inlay dot on each side / One thing I like about my bridge is you can adjust the bridge in setup. / Myles' date=' I would like to hear the two Hummingbirds playing together in a song or two. I've had my Guitar longer than anything I own and she is a dream to play / I know you enjoy yours.

Good talking to you.

God Bless - spanishoaknc =D>th_PaulDeanGospelMusic.jpg

I'll be taking her to Mandolin Brothers (on Staten Island) for new frets and anything else (like a new bridge) soon. If you get up this way let me know. I'm sure they will sing together.

I also have a '63' Hummingbird Custom and I get it in 1973 for $350.00

Well SpanishOakNC, looks like you made 50 bucks on her in the last 36 years :)

Archived