Gibson Brands Forums

Any horror movie fans on here?

Guitar God

I can't do religious horror type films. They just give me bad dreams.

My mom took all of us to see The Exorcist at the theaters when we were little kids and I had nightmares for months after that. We think my mom did this as a life lesson so we wouldn't be little buttholes.

• Haha 2

I love them....the scarier, the better. A lot of old horror movies still hold up today....Exorcist, Halloween, The Shining, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, all of The Omen movies. I also like the bazaar horror films like the first Phantasm. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I love them....the scarier, the better. A lot of old horror movies still hold up today....Exorcist, Halloween, The Shining, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, all of The Omen movies. I also like the bazaar horror films like the first Phantasm. 

My sweeter half is a horror film fanatic. She finds some of the scariest horror films. I just lay on the couch with a pillow nearby to cover my eyes...... I'm not big on suspense.

12 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Ah, the sweet folly of youth. His list of "old"  horror movies indeed.  🙄  When I think of the "Horror" genre I start with the iconic Universal studio classics of the '30's.  DRACULA('31)  FRANKENSTEIN('31)  BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN('35) THE MUMMY('32)  and the variety of such and some of the sequels.  And their "Inner Sanctum" series of the '40's.

Over the years "horror" movies gave up providing real horror in favor of having the only thing that scares people is having to endure a parade of special effects designed to nauseate people with miles of film showing needless gore.  And a lot of overused "special effect" cliches.

Whitefang

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Ah, the sweet folly of youth. His list of "old"  horror movies indeed.  🙄  When I think of the "Horror" genre I start with the iconic Universal studio classics of the '30's.  DRACULA('31)  FRANKENSTEIN('31)  BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN('35) THE MUMMY('32)  and the variety of such and some of the sequels.  And their "Inner Sanctum" series of the '40's.

Over the years "horror" movies gave up providing real horror in favor of having the only thing that scares people is having to endure a parade of special effects designed to nauseate people with miles of film showing needless gore.  And a lot of overused "special effect" cliches.

Whitefang

lol, exactly. I thought the same ...

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

I will watch some of the "old" classic films like you mentioned, but they just don't hold up. I want to be shocked, scared, even to the point of saying why am I watching this! Those older movies just don't have any "shock" value. I appreciate them for their importance to cinema nostalgia, but it stops there. They are even boring, predictable. The newer films (40+ years old 😁) have scenes that grab you. Like 2 priests in the Exorcist chanting "the power of God compiles you" in their attempt to rid that young girl from satan. That's an extremely intense scene. 

Edited by Ceptorman

8 hours ago, duane v said:

My sweeter half is a horror film fanatic. She finds some of the scariest horror films. I just lay on the couch with a pillow nearby to cover my eyes...... I'm not big on suspense.

I have to watch horror films by myself, even at the theater. My wife doesn't like them at all. They're good for you psychologically.

when I was 8 or 9 I saw The Giant Claw on tv one weekend. scared the crap out of me. nightmares ...  many many years later I found a copy of it and watched it again. busted out laughing.  and yea, I own it on dvd now. lol

The Giant Claw (1957) - Photo Gallery - IMDb

The Giant Claw (1957) - Turner Classic Movies

Edited by Karloff
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I will watch some of the "old" classic films like you mentioned, but they just don't hold up. I want to be shocked, scared, even to the point of saying why am I watching this! Those older movies just don't have any "shock" value. I appreciate them for their importance to cinema nostalgia, but it stops there. They are even boring, predictable. The newer films (40+ years old 😁) have scenes that grab you. Like 2 priests in the Exorcist chanting "the power of God compiles you" in their attempt to rid that young girl from satan. That's an extremely intense scene. 

OK, first off....

It's "The power of Christ COMPELS you!"  [wink]  And no complaints about The Exorcist as it was well adapted from an excellent novel.  MY complaint is about the "horror" movies that overused certain effects and some that made no sense.  I quickly  got tired of seeing  insect-like "demons" that crawl up the side of a wall, then onto the ceiling and tilt their heads slightly sideways like a curious puppy.   All with their jaws open wide.  And what's up with the heads shaking back and forth so rapidly they become a blur?  [confused]   And I wish I had a dollar for all the scenes with a house's windows blowing outward I've seen in "horror" movies in the '70's and early '80's.  🙄 That and implying how absolutely stupid college students can be,   

And BTW;  For me  this was one of the more intense scenes in The Exorcist.-----  originally deleted from the theatrical release but put back in for home video copies.

Whitefang

On 6/15/2023 at 4:48 PM, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

And Japanese accents. 

Okay, I promise - last time. 

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

OK, first off....

It's "The power of Christ COMPELS you!"  [wink]  And no complaints about The Exorcist as it was well adapted from an excellent novel.  MY complaint is about the "horror" movies that overused certain effects and some that made no sense.  I quickly  got tired of seeing  insect-like "demons" that crawl up the side of a wall, then onto the ceiling and tilt their heads slightly sideways like a curious puppy.   All with their jaws open wide.  And what's up with the heads shaking back and forth so rapidly they become a blur?  [confused]   And I wish I had a dollar for all the scenes with a house's windows blowing outward I've seen in "horror" movies in the '70's and early '80's.  🙄 That and implying how absolutely stupid college students can be,   

And BTW;  For me  this was one of the more intense scenes in The Exorcist.-----  originally deleted from the theatrical release but put back in for home video copies.

Whitefang

Thanks for the clarification, it's been decades since I've seen the Exorcist....I need to watch it again. I'm not crazy about the giant spiders spewing their snot either, I guess I'm more of a traditional kind of horror movie buff. Never liked any of the Friday the 13th movies, or the slayer stuff. They always had no name actors. Now....Jack Nicholson in The Shining....that's a great movie.