Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul - crack in the clear coat

Tomi G.P.

Today I discovered a long crack in the clear coat of one of my Gibson Les Pauls. But it's just a crack in the clear coat and not in the wood.

Looking at the attached photo, you might think that the guitar dropped down or received a hard impact, but that is 100% not the case.

I have to mention that I don't play this Les Paul very much. It is from 2017 and is either in a case or in a guitar stand.

This les Paul is a HP. The neck is a fast access model.

My other models are all Les Paul Custom Shop guitars.
I have never had such a problem with the Custon Shop guitars.

Has anyone had similar problems with a les Paul?

Les Paul HP 2017 crack.jpg

Edited by Tomi G.P.

I have seen other owners come in here with similar issues in that same spot or cracks where the head meets the neck. I never seen in those posts what exactly the issues were, or what may have caused those cracks, just speculation. 

Are you the original owner of the guitar? If so, I would think this would be covered under the  "Limited Life Time Warranty". I would give Gibson Customer Service a call.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information!
I'm a little more relaxed to hear that this is probably not an isolated case.
The guitar is still playable without any problems.
But if you know something like that and have it in your head, it's always annoying ;-).

But I will follow your idea and write to Gibson customer service.

Is this this the the first time you have seen the crack?  If the guitar is a 2017, its now 5 years old and that is a long time to miss something like that. If you think it took a blow, then when and where? Do you think it happened before of after you acquired it? Have you owned it since 2017? 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

If I had to guess, I'd say it took a little whank to the neck that bent the neck down and maybe forward a little and cracked the finish where that seam is between the body and neck.  See the three diagonal cracks in a row near the upper end of the seam?  Those are diagonal tension cracks in the finish that form when the neck moves away and down from the body.  Since the finish is a little brittle, it cracks before the glue in the joint.  So maybe it's just the finish.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the joint has been cracked a little.

Edited by badbluesplayer

I took the guitar to a guitar repair shop, to a large well-known music store.
They told me straight away that this was normal and not an isolated case.
Nothing broken or damaged from impact.
I shouldn't worry, it's the construction of the guitar (neck - body).

45 minutes ago, Tomi G.P. said:

The crack was not present at first.
It must have happened this year.
I only use the guitar sometimes in my home studio.
There it stands the whole time in a guitar stand.
It definitely wasn't damaged by me.

The crack happened last year maybe from an impact, and at that point you owned it, but it wasn't you that caused it? Thats nuts. 

The Martin 00-28,  I bought on Reverb last year smelled like cigarette smoke. The seller was the first owner and claims no one at his house smokes. 

Gremlins I tell ya.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I think I've written it several times now. There was no impact.
I don't look at my guitars from above and below every day either.
I didn't buy them from any guy on reverb either.

The only thing that would interest me here would be whether there are other Les Pauls with such cracks.
Like I said, when the guy from the guitar shop tells me it's normal and that it's nothing new to him, I guess I have to accept it. After all, this is the guitar workshop of one of the largest music stores in the world ;-).

Maybe the HP version has a different neck joint than a standard. 

I believe the HP LP has a smooth rounded neck heal.

Maybe that makes it more prone to flex.

I've seen lots of people's pictures over the years on the forum,  can't say I've seen a "common" thing about neck heal cracks.

Email Greg Voros at Gruhn's guitar, if there is an opinion on repair I trust , its his

Also, different Glues are used to join Neck & Body with Custom Shop & high end Gibsons.. Usually on high end Guitars, Hide Glue or Titebond Glue is used. Not sure what they use on the HP…

Edited by Larsongs

It's not uncommon to have finish cracks at the neck joint on a perfectly sound guitar.  Maybe that "access" type heel is a little more prone to finish cracking.  If it was mine, I wouldn't be too worried about it as long as the joint doesn't open up when you bend it a little.

On 4/26/2022 at 1:22 PM, Big Bill said:

I have seen other owners come in here with similar issues in that same spot or cracks where the head meets the neck. I never seen in those posts what exactly the issues were, or what may have caused those cracks, just speculation. 

Are you the original owner of the guitar? If so, I would think this would be covered under the  "Limited Life Time Warranty". I would give Gibson Customer Service a call.

No guitar maker warrenties their finish, not even my favorite Martin. Go to #10, and your answer is there. Read the disclaimer before #1. It says “This Warrenty does not cover”.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Support/Warranty/Gibson

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I've never had anything like this on any other guitar.
It's just a bit disturbing. First because you can feel it and second because you know it now.
I think it has something to do with the construction of the guitar. The neck is a so-called "Speed Performance Neck".
I've attached a few more pictures.
Once the Blue Berry HP 2017' (modern construction) with the crack and once a standard in Gabby Burst (classic construction).
With the Blue Berry, the transition from neck to body is smooth and without a horn, not like the classic design (standard model)

20220506_093050_resized_1.jpg

20220506_093106_resized_1.jpg

7 hours ago, Tomi G.P. said:

I've never had anything like this on any other guitar.
It's just a bit disturbing. First because you can feel it and second because you know it now.
I think it has something to do with the construction of the guitar. The neck is a so-called "Speed Performance Neck".
I've attached a few more pictures.
Once the Blue Berry HP 2017' (modern construction) with the crack and once a standard in Gabby Burst (classic construction).
With the Blue Berry, the transition from neck to body is smooth and without a horn, not like the classic design (standard model)

20220506_093050_resized_1.jpg

20220506_093106_resized_1.jpg

I think you can rest easy, friend. Unless you're worried about resale value. It really looks 100% like a finish crack.