Gibson Brands Forums

Growing up in the sixties...

Gasman

Those of us who grew up watching  Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, Ozzie & Harriet, etc.  apparently wanted our kids to have more exciting entertainment:   Miami Vice, MASH, Three's Company...   Now my kids (in their 40s) love things like Game of Thrones.     We are what we eat.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PrairieSchooner said:

Back in the day owning a 40 year-old Martin was strong medicine.  So I bought a new one in 1978, and now I have one 😀

Yep.

The whole key to it all is just "get old".

I have the 1961 Melody Maker I got in 1970. I wish I had the Super Reverb I had in 74.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 11:19 AM, PrairieSchooner said:

Back in the day owning a 40 year-old Martin was strong medicine.  So I bought a new one in 1978, and now I have one 😀

I have lots of old stuff - that isn't even worth what I paid for it decades ago.  Difference between  antiques and junk?  What someone else is willing to pay for your old stuff. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I have lots of old stuff - that isn't even worth what I paid for it decades ago.  Difference between  antiques and junk?  What someone else is willing to pay for your old stuff. 

Ever watch "American Pickers" ?

Your old junk might be worth a helluva lot more than you think.

Especially old cars and trucks. I've probably bought/sold and traded several million dollars in classic vehicles. Stuff we used to buy for $500 in the 70's is now worth 30/40/50 thousand.

12 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Stuff that works, stuff that holds up; the kind of stuff you don't hang on the wall...

- Guy Clark

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Murph said:

Ever watch "American Pickers" ?

Your old junk might be worth a helluva lot more than you think.

Especially old cars and trucks. I've probably bought/sold and traded several million dollars in classic vehicles. Stuff we used to buy for $500 in the 70's is now worth 30/40/50 thousand.

I wished those guys would come to my house and buy all my junk, hell, I'll let them have most of it for free.

The only stuff I have of value or someone would value is 3 (I'll call them wind up record players). One is a 1913-17? Edison. It stands from the floor to about the lower part of my chest. So that is a real antique, cause it is over 100 years old. A 1925-6 Victor Victrola (a real Victrola, cause its wider than it is tall). It will be an antique in 3 to 4 years. And the last one is a Brunswick that is as tall as the Edison. I am guessing it was made in in the late 1920's or early 1930's. I can't find info on it. All were made in New Jersey.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I wished those guys would come to my house and buy all my junk, hell, I'll let them have most of it for free.

The only stuff I have of value or someone would value is 3 (I'll call them wind up record players). One is a 1913-17? Edison. It stands from the floor to about the lower part of my chest. So that is a real antique, cause it is over 100 years old. A 1925-6 Victor Victrola (a real Victrola, cause its wider than it is tall). It will be an antique in 3 to 4 years. And the last one is a Brunswick that is as tall as the Edison. I am guessing it was made in in the late 1920's or early 1930's. I can't find info on it. All were made in New Jersey.

Mind you "American Pickers" airs on the same network which brings you "Ancient Aliens." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The only stuff I have of value or someone would value is 3 (I'll call them wind up record players). 

Very cool. I have no knowledge of the value of them, but there is a market for EVERYTHING vintage now.

I had a 1946 Indian when I was a young man. Shoulda hung onto that. Never got into collecting vinyl, but I do have "Meet The Beatles" and a Skynyrd "Flame".

It's really the old cars that freak me out. I could be a multi millionaire if I'd seen THAT coming.

I did manage to hoard up a pretty good stash of NOS vacuum tubes from my days of gigging on the road. I would spend many off days (Saturdays) hunting old electronic shops when I was in strange towns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I did manage to hoard up a pretty good stash of NOS vacuum tubes from my days of gigging on the road. I would spend many off days (Saturdays) hunting old electronic shops when I was in strange towns.

The first Coast Guard ship I was on had a MK 19 Gyrocompass. The control cabinet associated with it was tube powered. It must have had well over 100 tubes in it. I borrowed a tube checker from the ship moored next to us, and sat one day, and checked them all. About one-quarter of them were bad.  Some how the gyro worked with all those bad tubes. My only guess is some must have been redundant backups.