Gibson Brands Forums

Get It While You Can

Sgt. Pepper

Was it really used in the Live 8 concert 2005?  I'll have to watch the performance again on DVD. Thought he played a Martin back then? Or was that the 12-string for the intro?

Price is slightly outside my range ....   

Yeah I just looked on YT, and Dave plays the Gibson on Wish You Were Here. The other guitarist is on the 12 string. Not sure if it was Snowy White.

Go to 11:45 or so.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I have always associated Gilmore with that 1969 Martin D35 he purchased at Manny's on 48th St.  NYC.  I am apparently not the only one as it went for over $1 million at auction.

Yep the Colts owner has a nice D-35, and the Black Strat too.

Sgt. Pepper - thank you for the video link. I was wrong. Have seen the Live 8 concert 2005 in TV, was fascinated, especially in the evening (here in Europe). Helter Skelter, Long And Winding Road ...  

Anyhow, I will stay with mit 2018 SJ200 AN Standard 🙂

Well, if we want to get picky about it, according to the Reverb ad:

https://reverb.com/item/56288345-1985-gibson-j-200-celebrity-david-gilmour-collection

He owned two of them. "This guitar is number 42 of 90 Gibson J-200 Celebrity models. Gilmour clearly liked this rare model as his collection included two. They were used live and in the studio, including at the famous Live 8 concert that reunited Pink Floyd in 2005."

Who's to say this one was actually played live? 

4 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

I could never understand paying a premium for a guitar just because someone famous owned it.  In this case paying about 100 times as much as a regular J200 - crazy to me?

Agreed. I would rather spend half the money and buy this one.

https://reverb.com/item/52233324-vintage-1940-gibson-super-jumbo-200-acoustic-guitar-iconic-pre-war-singing-cowboy-sj-200-j-200-we

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gearbasher said:

He owned two of them. "This guitar is number 42 of 90 Gibson J-200 Celebrity models. Gilmour clearly liked this rare model as his collection included two. They were used live and in the studio, including at the famous Live 8 concert that reunited Pink Floyd in 2005."

Who's to say this one was actually played live? 

Bait and Switch.