Gibson Brands Forums

Money and guitars (off topic)

harmonicchaos

I am currently saving for a songwriter special acoustic and i'm afraid that the price is going to rise then it's going to be discontinued. I'm fourteen and have already started saving and am on my way (i don't know if i'd be able to get enough in time though) but I think my parents would let me do the payment plan or loan me the money i am short if i could get a job (wow that was a long sentence!).

I have always worked really hard and am very good with money. I'm not sure what I could do and any suggestions would be appreciated. I will do any job and am thinking about trying to find a job at McDonalds etc. The hard part is my age but any help or suggestions would really help me!

Figures that my perfect guitar turns out to be a limited edition!#-o

High hopes but good taste. Especially for 14. Just from experience I would stay away for McDonalds(never worked there but never heard good things). Find something that you can learn from or at least have fun at. If you have a music shop around you, go and see if they have any openings there. The best way to get a job is to go in and ask for one. Confidence is key. I started working at a pizza place at 14 and it was the best place to work ever. I worked there until I was 20 and ended up running the place until it was sold. This is way off topic but I hope this helps. Wherever you work, make sure you have fun or else it's not worth it.

It's good to see a young person interested in working toward something and earning money rather than just wanting to have if given to them. I'm sure I was guilty of that myself when I was 14.

Having said that, it is a little tricky being 14. Many places won't hire anyone under 16. Maybe when summer arrives you could find work helping someone you know lay carpet, drywall, paint etc. The benifit with something like that is that you learn some useful skills while making money. Unfortunately there aren't many quick and easy ways to make money legally. Don't even think about other ways. #-o

Good luck and if you do earn enough to get your dream guitar, it will be that much sweeter.

I posted this way off topic on another thread and it's way more relevant here. After my senior year in high school I had the cash in hand standing in my local shop to buy a LP Std in a heritage cherry burst. However, I also knew that if I spent every penny that I had before heading to college I wouldn't have lived to enjoy the guitar because my dad probably would have killed me. 7 some years later I could finally afford my guitar and it is sooooo sweet. The one thing that I can pass along that helped me while I was dreaming was this. You may not be able to afford what you want right now, and you may feel that your dream guitar has passed you by, but the truth is that when you have the means the guitar that you were meant to have will present itself and you'll be the happiest person ever. I've found that when you're trying to find something it will be incredibly elusive, but as soon as you stop searching, what you've been looking for all along will come and find you. I don't know if that makes sense, but basically what I'm saying is don't drive yourself crazy with things that are probably a longshot right now. When you've got the dough the perfect axe will present itself. You'll see.

Have you got any other talents like art or design? There was a young guy on another forum who raised some money by designing avatars and personal sigs for people. I would be willing to send a few dollars for something like that.

Have you got any other talents like art or design? There was a young guy on another forum who raised some money by designing avatars and personal sigs for people. I would be willing to send a few dollars for something like that.

art...design...a few bucks...I may already have 1 les paul, but I'm not above pimping my art either. Is it against the rules to...I dont' want to say "solicit", but more "advertise" ones goods for sale on these forums? I've got a killer painting of Angus that maybe some guys in the SG forum would like to have a print of.

yeah i can draw pretty well. i've took lessons for a few years (age 8-11) and i've won a few art contests. i'm good with freestyle and more fluid art (trying to think of a way to describe it) but i'm not quite as good at technical drawings. that's a good idea though. if you guys have any requests i could try to give it a shot maybe.

thanks guys keep 'em coming!

EDIT: for all it's worth i have around 400 dollars right now.

Attention ADMINISTRATION,

Is there any way you could see yourself clear to 1. Review the kid's work

2.Give him Corporate (& Marketing) guidelines

3.Commission him to design a Forum T-shirt

4.Market product right here...I'm sure most of us would help

defray your cost in purchasing an "exclusive" like that.

He gets his dream guitar-Gibson gets a "Poster Child Player"-and we finally get some cool stuff.

So as not to "change your set list", I will offer my design services to see the project through.

I remember My Gibson dream - let's try to help him with his.

Attention ADMINISTRATION' date='

Is there any way you could see yourself clear to 1. Review the kid's work

2.Give him Corporate (& Marketing) guidelines

3.Commission him to design a Forum T-shirt

4.Market product right here...I'm sure most of us would help

defray your cost in purchasing an "exclusive" like that.

He gets his dream guitar-Gibson gets a "Poster Child Player"-and we finally get some cool stuff.

So as not to "change your set list", I will offer my design services to see the project through.

I remember My Gibson dream - let's try to help him with his. [/quote']

Wow this is way more than i figured you guys would say! Thanks! I highly doubt it will happen but it's REALLY nice that you would think of it!

The one thing that I can pass along that helped me while I was dreaming was this. You may not be able to afford what you want right now' date=' and you may feel that your dream guitar has passed you by, but the truth is that when you have the means the guitar that you were meant to have will present itself and you'll be the happiest person ever. I've found that when you're trying to find something it will be incredibly elusive, but as soon as you stop searching, what you've been looking for all along will come and find you. I don't know if that makes sense, but basically what I'm saying is don't drive yourself crazy with things that are probably a longshot right now. When you've got the dough the perfect axe will present itself. You'll see.

[/quote']

Heh, close your eyes and wish for it, it will find you eventually if it is meant to be ;-)

OK but in the real world you do need to find good HONEST work and just see how much money you can save up...the music store idea was the best although your age is a problem (can't handle cash register etc). If you can save the dough then great, if not then be realistic and don't sweat it too much because you might find your preferences could change quite a bit over the years any how. If you're still keen on that guitar once you finally have the money, you can buy it used on ebay. That is - if it actually gets discontinued.

Wow this is way more than i figured you guys would say! Thanks! I highly doubt it will happen but it's REALLY nice that you would think of it!

Yeah, you got way better responses over here than you did posting the same thing on the Fender Corp forums!

Like the previous poster said, work hard and someday you be able to start buying what you want (trust me it won't be just one!) I've been playing since 1962 and just started to be able to get the to the really sweet stuff about 5 years ago.

You guys are awesome. It is really great that you all put yourself back to his position.

The biggest problem, I see, is your age. It is going to be difficult to get a "regular" job at 14. But don't despair. As a suggestion, if you live near an airport (not a big one) go find an FBO and wash airplane windows or pump gas into Cessnas, or work as a caddy at the local golf club. Neither make a lot of money, but they work for tips and those tips will add up in a hurry.

Can you guess what my other life activities are?

GO MAN GO

the best advice, save until u can get the guitar you REALLY WANT, do be like me and buy a studio when you want a standard, save up and save up, and that first weeek when u play it all day and night for 3 strait days and you ditch school and then the fourth day when your parents make you go to school and ouve slept like 8 hours in 3 days and you bring your les paul with you to school, and skip PE because you dont want it to stay in your gym looker, and when you go to class you have it lay against your desk and you try and do school work, but you keep wanting to look @ it and play it................

true story, i love my studio, but seriously buy the guitar you want, work hard and when you finally get it, enjoy it

You guys are awesome. It is really great that you all put yourself back to his position.

The biggest problem' date=' I see, is your age. It is going to be difficult to get a "regular" job at 14. But don't despair. As a suggestion, if you live near an airport (not a big one) go find an FBO and wash airplane windows or pump gas into Cessnas, or work as a caddy at the local golf club. Neither make a lot of money, but they work for tips and those tips will add up in a hurry.

Can you guess what my other life activities are?[/quote']

or get a job as a baseball umpire, get well paid, and constantly remiided how dumb, blind nd stupid you are O:)

Yeah, open your case and play your guitar along a path in park a lot of people walk. Or play in front of a grocery store or underground station. Make a sign that says something honest about wanting money to buy a new guitar. At your age and with decent playing skills you'd probably make a lot more grit than some other geezer.

Yeah' date=' open your case and play your guitar along a path in park a lot of people walk. Or play in front of a grocery store or underground station. Make a sign that says something honest about wanting money to buy a new guitar. At your age and with decent playing skills you'd probably make a lot more grit than some other geezer. [/quote']

thanks guys this is some good advice! in reply to jessenoah all i have to say is when i first got my lp i slept with it one the bed and when i watched movies lets jut say Fervor (my guitars name. how pathetic is that?) got to see a lot of movies (my mom thinks there's something wrong with me). i do regret a little bit about not getting a standard but i like the sound of the mahogany better and i'm going to eventually cutomize it (binding, paint etc) so it's gonna have some of the standards aesthetic features but with a sound and look all it's own. so all and all i'm glad i went with the studio.

to guitar player: i'd probably have a hard time doing that because i live in a suburban area (and have an overprotective mom). it sounds like fun though. :D i can see someone chasing after me and talking about dang kids and their electric guitars... oh wait that'd be my grandfather.

my grandfather was a caddy when he was a kid and he did pretty well (he bought a pretty expensive car by himself when he was sixteen)

well i'm not giving up hope. dang i love gibson to death but their prices can be a bit high (but compared to other guitars it makes sense). this is what i get for playing a gibson... you get hooked and don't want to play anything else.

Yeah' date=' you got way better responses over here than you did posting the same thing on the Fender Corp forums!

Like the previous poster said, work hard and someday you be able to start buying what you want (trust me it won't be just one!) I've been playing since 1962 and just started to be able to get the to the really sweet stuff about 5 years ago.

[/quote']

yeah before the new forums opened (they wouldn't let me sign up for the old ones) i joined fender. i posted there quite a bit until the gibson forums opened. i prefer gibson in pretty much every sense but i do like jaguars, mustangs and teles. for some reason i've never been able to fathom why people like stratocasters so much. imo they're probably one of my least favorite guitars as far as aethetics go. i guess i'm just a gibson person. to each his own.

art...design...a few bucks...I may already have 1 les paul' date=' but I'm not above pimping my art either. Is it against the rules to...I dont' want to say "solicit", but more "advertise" ones goods for sale on these forums? I've got a killer painting of Angus that maybe some guys in the SG forum would like to have a print of.[/quote']

It depends, are you a kid with a dream or just some dude who wants our cash?

It depends' date=' are you a kid with a dream or just some dude who wants our cash?[/quote']

definitely the kid with a dream. i didn't even think about you guy's money. i just wanted your guy's opinions - that's why i posted this not to try to scam you or anything. honestly i've never tried to cheat people out of money. i worked hard and saved a long time to get my les paul. the acoustic is quite a bit more expensive and there is possibly a time frame on it so i wanted to ask you on the forum for advice. i figured that some of you had probably been in similar situations so i thought you might have some advice. that's all - nothing more.

It depends' date=' are you a kid with a dream or just some dude who wants our cash?[/quote']

I'm the graduated from art school trying to live the dream dude. I give away my fair share of work (most of it), but if I find someone who's willing to pay for it I just can't pass that up. I'm definitely no scam artist, and I'm also not someone who's going to try and steal opportunity from someone who is a kid with a dream. I wouldn't mind your cash though. haha.

Archived