Gibson Brands Forums

Hiromi taking it to another level

jaxson50

I'm impressed.  Mostly by (and in my experience) usually when I hear performances by young musicians who've "studied" jazz they play an academic sounding music that lacks the life and soul that jazz should normally have.  And this young lady has that down pat. 

Thanks for posting this.  [thumbup]

Whitefang

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitefang said:

I'm impressed.  Mostly by (and in my experience) usually when I hear performances by young musicians who've "studied" jazz they play an academic sounding music that lacks the life and soul that jazz should normally have.  And this young lady has that down pat. 

Thanks for posting this.  [thumbup]

Whitefang

when it comes to what she's doing,  she defines "next level" !

Those kind of chops are rare. 

• Like 1

Me thinks it safe to say she transcends jazz or any other music form,  she no doubt can play anything a conductor or writer arranger can come up with.

What draws me in is her pure joy in what she is doing.

Edited by jaxson50

10 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Oh boy I'm gonna catch some crap here.  The playing is very technical and that's impressive on its own.   But, there is something a player like Chick Corea had that I don't hear in her playing.  That warm human touch.  Like Steve Gadd on drums and Jaco on bass.   It's just one idiots opinion, but I think you could program a computer to play this stuff and it would sound exactly that same.  Let the hurling of tomatoes commence. 

no tomaatoos here..  I hear that 100%

for me it's like Steve Vai,   he is an amazing player,  like inhumanly good, but I can't listen to more than one or two of his tunes back to back   same thing there..

To my ear her style has much fluidity, her tribute to Gershwin,  the first video,  is an genius arrangement, of her own, that incorporates many small movement's from many of his pieces,  played with incredible technical skills and with much emotion. 

Don't take this wrong,  but I think comparing artist to each other short changes us, the audience. Just take it in, enjoy the sound, the joy the artist brings to the stage. 

• Like 1