Gibson Brands Forums

Binding education pls

CROWB8

Hope I chose the correct board.

Few days ago I returned a '22 LPC BB 70th aniv due to neck binding issues (see pic). Really wanted to keep it. But thought that upon re-sale, the issue might be viewed as a "blem" and lower it's value accordingly. Would I then feel comfortable absorbing that cost. So, returned.

But I have a Q.

There's a groove in binding as it meets the neck wood. It goes the length of the neck. Nut to body, both sides, worse on the bass side. My Q is, can this defect happen over time? As in after leaving Nashville? Shipping conditions were 96F/96 humidity. Or, did QC not see it or maybe deem it a non issue. Had trouble figuring out how to illustrate and photo the issue. 1/4 drill bit nestled into groove is what I came up with.

Ty for any input.

20220629-142123.jpg

Wow that looks like a straight up ledge you could rest your coffee on. Good call to return the guitar. That would be a hard pass if it came to me like that. That is a result of not doing something right during its manufacture if I’m seeing what I think I’m seeing based on your pic. 

6 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Wow that looks like a straight up ledge you could rest your coffee on. Good call to return the guitar. That would be a hard pass if it came to me like that. That is a result of not doing something right during its manufacture if I’m seeing what I think I’m seeing based on your pic. 

You're seeing it right. "Ledge" is a better word for it.

Relieved in a way that it's a manufacturing issue. Was worried bout my other guits, humidity and such, so much so I've had them in their cases w rice filled socks for bout a month now. Have a '67 accoustic steel string I don't dare take out.

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I'm with NH Chris here. That is surprising, and wrong. 

"Suprising" was my thought. OK, it's not a "Murphy Lab". But it's an anniversay model. Touting "attention to detail", "meticulous", and "best luthiers". I know that's in it's inception and design not production. Still, necks are kinda critical in my book. Neck shapes alone, make or break a purchase for most, if not all buyers. And necks are the first physical impressions one gets of a guit. You pick up a guit, ya grabs it by the neck. QC dropped the ball on that one.

Prolly make a good "open box" or "blem" purchase now.

On my “standard” LP Custom, I can feel a slight transition from the binding to the neck, but it’s not terribly noticeable. It shouldn’t be significant. But in reality, I shouldn’t feel any transition for the money these things cost. Send ‘em back I say. 

27 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

On my “standard” LP Custom, I can feel a slight transition from the binding to the neck, but it’s not terribly noticeable. It shouldn’t be significant. But in reality, I shouldn’t feel any transition for the money these things cost. Send ‘em back I say. 

Oh yea, it's a done deal. It's gone. This was an educational queery for the most part. Learn things every day from y'all.

West coast transplant to Ken#ucky. To learn this issue was a manufacturing issue and not environment/temp/humidity, is a relief.

I have an epi SG faded and a gibby SG STD '61. Both bound. Perfectly flat/smooth transition, binding to neck. But LPC at $5000, aint havin it.

As I said, make someone a nice *open box purchase.

Edited by CROWB8

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Truer words were never spoken. That is where this guitar is headed, and if you got it from Guitar Center it will be sold as "NEW".

Should be listed as "blem" IMO. Otherwise, it's a missleading listing. 

• 4 weeks later...

The binding is scraped after color coats have been applied to create a sharp transition from the color coat to the binding 

It’s normal for there to be a slight ridge under the clear coat at that point, but it’s also possible to get over zealous with the scraping. 

If your Gibson has truly no discernible ridge where the binding meets finished wood then you either have a thick clear coat or your guitar didn’t have any color coats that required scraping the binding (aka natural finish)

10 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

The binding is scraped after color coats have been applied to create a sharp transition from the color coat to the binding 

It’s normal for there to be a slight ridge under the clear coat at that point, but it’s also possible to get over zealous with the scraping. 

If your Gibson has truly no discernible ridge where the binding meets finished wood then you either have a thick clear coat or your guitar didn’t have any color coats that required scraping the binding (aka natural finish)

Actually saw the same guit on reverb. Was a demo/mod out of the Gibson Garage. Along with other blems, it also listed binding "sink" as it met the neck. But the issue was only where the neck met the body extending maybe an inch out. Still, that issue was noted as a blem. On mine, it was a really deep ledge and the length of the neck, both sides.

Anyway, moot now as its gone.

But thanks for the info on the build procedure there. Good to know.

• 1 month later...

I’ve already reported them for you. There is a little button with 3 dots at the top right of each post (at least on the mobile site). Click that then you will have the option to report

I’m not sure what the exact protocol is really, but if you avoid clicking suspicious links and report the spam as it comes, that seems effective enough

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 7/16/2022 at 6:58 AM, CROWB8 said:

Hope I chose the correct board.

Few days ago I returned a '22 LPC BB 70th aniv due to neck binding issues (see pic). Really wanted to keep it. But thought that upon re-sale, the issue might be viewed as a "blem" and lower it's value accordingly. Would I then feel comfortable absorbing that cost. So, returned.

But I have a Q.

There's a groove in binding as it meets the neck wood. It goes the length of the neck. Nut to body, both sides, worse on the bass side. My Q is, can this defect happen over time? As in after leaving Nashville? Shipping conditions were 96F/96 humidity. Or, did QC not see it or maybe deem it a non issue. Had trouble figuring out how to illustrate and photo the issue. 1/4 drill bit nestled into groove is what I came up with.

Ty for any input.

20220629-142123.jpg

On a different note, if you're interested in learning about the role of music in film and its impact on audiences, you may want to check out Studydriver's (https://studydriver.com/film/) last collection of film-related resources. Exploring topics such as film music composition, sound design, and film theory can deepen your understanding and appreciation of the art and craft of filmmaking.

It's understandable that you want to ensure that your guitar retains its value in the future, and returning it due to neck binding issues is a responsible decision. Regarding your question about the groove in the binding where it meets the neck wood, it's difficult to determine whether this is a defect that occurred during shipping or if it was present when the guitar left Nashville. However, it's worth noting that even with the best quality control measures in place, defects can still occur during manufacturing or transportation.