Gibson Brands Forums

As the Band Played…

Lars68

Here is a new song I just finished recording. It's got quite a bit of instrumentation for a song of mine. Besides the acoustic, there are two organs, an e-bow, some percussions, and even an electric 12-string. It's a mellow song, so I tried to keep the instruments in the background. I hope it works.

Lyrically, it's about looking back at times past, in sort of a nostalgic fog (as tends to happen when we get older…), thinking how things could have unfolded differently. A lot of what happens to us is just a matter of chance, and not necessarily planned decisions. It's not an autobiographical song, but it could easily have been. I tried not to spell everything out, and instead leave much inbetween the lines. In case someone might wonder why it uses geography from Georgia, when I'm Swedish, there are a couple of reasons. Georgia is a place I have visted and liked a lot, and R.E.M., who lends a song title to the lyrics and is one of my favorite bands, happen to be from there. Also, using Swedish geography in a song in English just doesn't make good sense… 😁

Lars

AS THE BAND PLAYED…

East on the I-16 across the Oconee
with her by my side softly singing

I first saw her standing in the crowd 
as the band played “Night Swimming”

Soon the billboards showed pictures of the sea
Walking by the waters edge I dreamt of all that we could be

Now sometimes the radio plays the song
the years fall from me and I still see her

Some memories are stones in our shoes
with each new step the cut goes deeper

Outside my Northern home the snow falls to the ground
while I'm alone inside with the words I never found

Edited by Lars68

3 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Here is a new song I just finished recording. It's got quite a bit of instrumentation for a song of mine. Besides the acoustic, there are two organs, an e-bow, some percussions, and even an electric 12-string. It's a mellow song, so I tried to keep the instruments in the background. I hope it works.

Lyrically, it's about looking back at times past, in sort of a nostalgic fog (as tend to happen when we get older…), thinking how things could have unfolded differently. A lot of what happens to us is just a matter of chance, and not necessarily planned decisions. It's not an autobiographical song, but it could easily have been. I tried not to spell everything out, and instead leave much inbetween the lines. In case someone might wonder why it uses geography from Georgia, when I'm Swedish, there are a couple of reasons. Georgia is a place I have visted and liked a lot, and R.E.M., who lends a song title to the lyrics and is one of my favorite bands, happen to be from there. Also, using Swedish geography in a song in English just doesn't make good sense… 😁

Lars

AS THE BAND PLAYED…

East on the I-16 across the Oconee
with her by my side softly singing

I first saw her standing in the crowd 
as the band played “Night Swimming”

Soon the billboards showed pictures of the sea
Walking by the waters edge I dreamt of all that we could be

Now sometimes the radio plays the song
the years fall from me and I still see her

Very nice!   You have no idea how envious I am of your songwriting ability!

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Very nice!   You have no idea how envious I am of your songwriting ability!

Appreciate that! I’m not sure there is much merit to my writing, but what I do write at least has a tendency to come fast. In relative terms, performing the songs is what I find most challenging. I wish I had your ability to play and sing in front of a mic.

Lars

18 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Appreciate that! I’m not sure there is much merit to my writing, but what I do write at least has a tendency to come fast. In relative terms, performing the songs is what I find most challenging. I wish I had your ability to play and sing in front of a mic.

Lars

Lars, that's kind of you.    I was never the lead singer.... our lead singer had the voice of an angel....And he did it effortlessly!

Wow!  Good song, old friend.  Written from the heart.  Strong lyrics.  Gentle and somber guitar.  Very fitting for this song.  I particularly like 

Many of us have regrets similar to this.  Life if full of “what ifs.”  Lars, your writing has come a long, long way.   You told an entire story in just a few lines.   Well done…..”Some memories are stones in our shoes with each new step the cut goes deeper” is a really strong line.  I may have to borrow that one sometime…lol…….Good song, Lars!

15 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Wow!  Good song, old friend.  Written from the heart.  Strong lyrics.  Gentle and somber guitar.  Very fitting for this song.  I particularly like 

Many of us have regrets similar to this.  Life if full of “what ifs.”  Lars, your writing has come a long, long way.   You told an entire story in just a few lines.   Well done…..”Some memories are stones in our shoes with each new step the cut goes deeper” is a really strong line.  I may have to borrow that one sometime…lol…….Good song, Lars!

MP, thanks for the kind words. You are more than welcome to steal or borrow whatever you like😊

At first I thought the song needed more details, but after I found that line, I realized what is not told can be just as interesting as what is spelled out. I’m glad you heard it as I hoped for.

Lars

28 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

MP, thanks for the kind words. You are more than welcome to steal or borrow whatever you like😊

At first I thought the song needed more details, but after I found that line, I realized what is not told can be just as interesting as what is spelled out. I’m glad you heard it as I hoped for.

Lars

Lars, exactly!  Sometimes, less is more.   You told the entire framework and let the listener fill-in the blanks.   This could have been a love that was lost or a love that was simply never realized with someone one seen but never met.  Good stuff.