Gibson Brands Forums

Premium Truss Rod Wrench (not an ad)

merciful-evans

So I extravagantly added this to an order I made this week. Looks pretty good and I needed another one. Its supposed to fit Gibson / PRS (USA) / Gretch /ESP.

music-nomad-premium-truss-rod-wrench-5-1

I couldn't even get the thing inside the cavity let alone on the nut (properly). So I sent this e-mail to the supplier:

Hi,

Item MNO-MN232 Music Nomad Truss Rod Wrench. I tried to use this today on a 1998 Gibson Les Paul DC Standard. It will not fit into the truss rod cavity. The 5/16" socket measures correctly but it will not engage.

I then tried it with a 2015 Gibson Les Paul, and finally a 2007 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion iii.

This expensive tool will not fit any of them and is not fit for purpose. May I have an exchange (if you have different 5/16" TR wrench) and/or a refund please. Kindly let me know how to proceed.

These things cost twice the usual cost of the sort Gibson (and others) provide, but at least those work. I think it would work ok if I chamfered the back on a grinding wheel, but I shouldn't have to do that. 

The company (Strings Direct) were very good. Though it seems that I am the only customer to return one (maybe I'm the only one to buy one?). They have refunded the cost and added £5 to my account which took the sting out of the return cost. 

Added this here just in case someone else had one or was tempted to try one out.

• Like 3

Last time I needed one I went to my local shop and asked if they sold any..  They had a whole box of them and just let me take one for free  🙂  Was a nice surprise as I would have happily paid for it.

57 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Last time I needed one I went to my local shop and asked if they sold any..  They had a whole box of them and just let me take one for free  🙂  Was a nice surprise as I would have happily paid for it.

Even the regular ones are being priced at around £7. You did really well there.

I don’t know how premium the one is in the OP’s opening Thread Pic but I’ve used these for years & they are a pretty great all around handy Guitar Tool to have in your Case.

It doesn’t replace conventional Luthier Tools but it is great for what it is.. A Swiss Army Guitar Tool.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBATMT01

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

I don’t know how premium the one is in the OP’s opening Thread Pic but I’ve used these for years & they are a pretty great all around handy Guitar Tool to have in your Case.

It doesn’t replace conventional Luthier Tools but it is great for what it is.. A Swiss Army Guitar Tool.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBATMT01

Very good for the guitar case, but not available in the uk. 

I have one of those ME the barrel is a bit thick which is the problem.  It works on most of my gibsons,  there maybe one or two that don't

but yes,, the cheaper plan black ones like Gibson USED to put in all the cases, works 100% of the time.

23 hours ago, kidblast said:

I have one of those ME the barrel is a bit thick which is the problem.  It works on most of my gibsons,  there maybe one or two that don't

but yes,, the cheaper plan black ones like Gibson USED to put in all the cases, works 100% of the time.

Good to hear I'm not the only one with the issue.