Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SJN

BennyBoy

6 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I know it's not what you asked, and that you and your daughter have probably already dismissed other alternatives,  but for that $2500 she could get a brand new Gibson acoustic with a warranty: a Hummingbird Studio, a J185 EC Walnut, an LG2 or a  J45 Studio Rosewood for example.  You get a warranty and the assurance it's not going to be a pig in a poke.  

All of this is true, but if one wants vintage, and the sound of vintage, the advantages mentioned are almost valueless to the buyer. 

Edited by Sevendaymelee

Why would anyone buy a relatively expensive Guitar without some kind of proof, documentation, original Receipt of Purchase, a letter from Gibson or something as to what it is?? What is that old saying about a fool & their money... 

I wouldn't do it!!!

Edited by Larsongs

1 hour ago, Sevendaymelee said:

All of this is true, but if one wants vintage, and the sound of vintage, the advantages mentioned are almost valueless to the buyer. 

I am not going to recommend anything to the OP but to keep his options open.  Despite what those who adhere to a strict chronology when classifying a guitar as vintage may say though, to me instruments such as this SJN are still simply "used" guitars.   That might be because I recall them when they were brand spanking new and hanging on shop walls.  But with any guitar which rolled out of Kalamazoo you do have to know what you are looking at because something like originality (never mind existing or potential condition issues) will come into play when you get down to haggling over price.  While folks have been known to call on me to go with them to check out old Gibsons,  I would not be much help to the OP here because I have never accumulated the kind of knowledge I would need to assess such things when it comes to Gibsons built this late in the game.  They just have never been my cup of tea.  But that should not be taken as any kind of an endorsement or lack thereof.  

4 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I am not going to recommend anything to the OP but to keep his options open.  Despite what those who adhere to a strict chronology when classifying a guitar as vintage may say though, to me instruments such as this SJN are still simply "used" guitars.   That might be because I recall them when they were brand spanking new and hanging on shop walls.  But with any guitar which rolled out of Kalamazoo you do have to know what you are looking at because something like originality (never mind existing or potential condition issues) will come into play when you get down to haggling over price.  While folks have been known to call on me to go with them to check out old Gibsons,  I would not be much help to the OP here because I have never accumulated the kind of knowledge I would need to assess such things when it comes to Gibsons built this late in the game.  They just have never been my cup of tea.  But that should not be taken as any kind of an endorsement or lack thereof.  

Vintage is thrown around a lot and yes, it's sadly come down to different interpretations. But my interpretation is when a guitar's wood has dried out to a certain point. And anything that's forty years old is going to be completely dried out by now. Hence, vintage tone.

Edited by Sevendaymelee

14 minutes ago, Sevendaymelee said:

Vintage is thrown around a lot and yes, it's sadly come down to different interpretations. But my interpretation is when a guitar's wood has dried out to a certain point. And anything that's forty years old is going to be completely dried out by now. Hence, vintage tone.

"But will it suck moist in the summer, thus be less vintage than during vinter", said the good old Q and scratched his hair. . 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Sevendaymelee said:

My favorite definition is a guitar can be considered vintage when its value exceeds that of a new guitar of the same model.  Up until that point it is a used guitar but it can also still be considered collectible.  Kind of like an AMC Pacer or a Gremlin,

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

My favorite definition is a guitar can be considered vintage when its value exceeds that of a new guitar of the same model.  Up until that point it is a used guitar but it can also still be considered collectible.  Kind of like an AMC Pacer or a Gremlin,

I owned a Gremlin V8.   Biggest POS out there.  😄

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sevendaymelee said:

If I’m not mistaken, using a humidifier can re-humidify Guitars.. I have 50 year old Guitars that have wonderful tone.. I do take pretty good care of my Guitars.. I do detail them periodically. I live in a dry warm Climate & haven’t really had much problem.. And, Until recently never gave much thought about humidity levels.. Our humidity ranges from 30-40% average… Recently, I have noticed some fret sprout & some minor checking on a couple of my older Guitars..

I now use a humidifer. I’m told even the fret sprout will resolve itself over time by reintroducing proper 45-50% Humidity to your Guitar…

Just now, Larsongs said:

If I’m not mistaken, using a humidifier can re-humidify Guitars.. I have 50 year old Guitars that have wonderful tone.. I do take pretty good care of my Guitars.. I do detail them periodically. I live in a dry warm Climate & haven’t really had much problem.. And, Until recently never gave much thought about humidity levels.. Our humidity ranges from 30-40% average… Recently, I have noticed some fret sprout & some minor checking on a couple of my older Guitars..

I now use a humidifer. I’m told even the fret sprout will resolve itself over time by reintroducing proper 45-50% Humidity to your Guitar…

I have humidifiers for each of my guitars.

My house hovers around 50% humidity all the time, (it  shows up on my "Nest" thermostat readings).

I also store all my guitars in their cases, not hanging on the wall, or sitting in a stand, (California, after all!).

10 hours ago, slimt said:

I owned a Gremlin V8.   Biggest POS out there.  😄

I have a friend who loves Pacers.  Nobody refers to these kinds of cars as "vintage".  But they are collectible.   I have more than a few guitars which fall into that category such as a 1942 Harmony H165 Stella.  It definitely has old wood and in fact is the only known surviving example of this model.  A very cool guitar and one that Harmony fanboys would love to get their hands on,   But calling it "vintage" would be like putting silk undies on a goat.   

Edited by zombywoof

Just now, zombywoof said:

I have a friend who loves Pacers.  Nobody refers to these kinds of cars as "vintage".  But they are collectible.   I have more than a few guitars which fall into that category such as a 1942 Harmony H165 Stella.  It definitely has old wood and in fact is the only known surviving example of thise model.  A very cool guitar and one that Harmony fanboys would love to get their hands on,   But calling it "vintage" would be like putting silk undies on a goat.   

True enough.    I can think of a few instruments  that are  collectible.  And there all out of my price range.   

23 minutes ago, slimt said:

True enough.    I can think of a few instruments  that are  collectible.  And there all out of my price range.   

I could not afford a number of the guitars I own if I had to buy them today.  But not a problem as these days I find spending anything over maybe $1500 on a guitar just plain silly.  

51 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I have humidifiers for each of my guitars.

My house hovers around 50% humidity all the time, (it  shows up on my "Nest" thermostat readings).

I also store all my guitars in their cases, not hanging on the wall, or sitting in a stand, (California, after all!).

You’re up north.. I’m in Southern California in Palm Springs, Ca.. Hot & Dry most of the year.. I recently got an excellent Room Humidifier. Now, I keep half of my Guitars in their Cases & the other half in my Humidified Guitar Room which I keep at 45-50% humidity. I do hang some of them & have a couple on Stands so they can breathe & get the full effect of the Humidifier.. I rotate the other half every couple weeks.. It makes playing a little more fun as I’m playing Guitars I haven’t played in a while.. 

Just now, Larsongs said:

You’re up north.. I’m in Southern California in Palm Springs, Ca.. Hot & Dry most of the year.. I recently got an excellent Room Humidifier. Now, I keep half of my Guitars in their Cases & the other half in my Humidified Guitar Room which I keep at 45-50% humidity. I do hang some of them & have a couple on Stands so they can breathe & get the full effect of the Humidifier.. I rotate the other half every couple weeks.. It makes playing a little more fun as I’m playing Guitars I haven’t played in a while.. 

I like my guitars to be out of their cases....but I just don't trust the earthquakes in this area..... I was near Napa when they got the 'big one' that broke Leslie's Hummingbird `12-String..... she had it repaired by Gibson...and now I own it......don't want to do that again!

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

I like my guitars to be out of their cases....but I just don't trust the earthquakes in this area..... I was near Napa when they got the 'big one' that broke Leslie's Hummingbird `12-String..... she had it repaired by Gibson...and now I own it......don't want to do that again!

In the 90’s I’d had a few to many Beers & left my D-35 leaning against a wall.. During the night, while I was Sleeping it off, a large heavy framed Picture fell off the wall & put a hole through the bottom curvature of the Body.. Unsightly & I could’ve shot myself for being so stupid! Some years later I sent it to Martin for some Warranty work.. While it was there I asked them if it could be fixed.. They said yes.. They did a beautiful job! You’d never know anything ever happened to it..

I seem to learn everything the hard way.. But, once I do it sinks in.. I hear you about Earthquakes! I have too many Guitars to put the Case humidifiers in. I’d have to spend most my days re-dampening Case humidifiers! I probably have too many Guitars but I like them all!

I’m finding the Room Humidifier is doing a great job of Humidifying my Guitars.. So, I’m going to divide my Collection in 2 Parts.. Each consisting of low to high price similar type Guitars.. Acoustics & Electric 6 & 12 Strings. And Bass’.. That way I can continue humidifying half of them for 2 weeks hanging out. While the other half are stored in Cases.. Then alternate every couple weeks.. 

45 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

In the 90’s I’d had a few to many Beers & left my D-35 leaning against a wall.. During the night, while I was Sleeping it off, a large heavy framed Picture fell off the wall & put a hole through the bottom curvature of the Body.. Unsightly & I could’ve shot myself for being so stupid! Some years later I sent it to Martin for some Warranty work.. While it was there I asked them if it could be fixed.. They said yes.. They did a beautiful job! You’d never know anything ever happened to it..

I seem to learn everything the hard way.. But, once I do it sinks in.. I hear you about Earthquakes! I have too many Guitars to put the Case humidifiers in. I’d have to spend most my days re-dampening Case humidifiers! I probably have too many Guitars but I like them all!

I’m finding the Room Humidifier is doing a great job of Humidifying my Guitars.. So, I’m going to divide my Collection in 2 Parts.. Each consisting of low to high price similar type Guitars.. Acoustics & Electric 6 & 12 Strings. And Bass’.. That way I can continue humidifying half of them for 2 weeks hanging out. While the other half are stored in Cases.. Then alternate every couple weeks.. 

I use the Boveda packs. No mess and there is no question when they need to be changed. When they feel hard and lumpy, you put in a new one. Mine have been lasting months. I hated those dumb sponge ones. 

I might have to light a candle in your D-35's honor. I have owned two. I remember reading one guy saying in a forum, you either own a D-35 or you don't.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

48 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I have too many Guitars to put the Case humidifiers in. I’d have to spend most my days re-dampening Case humidifiers! I probably have too many Guitars but I like them all!

Just to be clear....I only have humidifiers in my acoustic cases.... and there are only 6 of them.

15 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Well, the actual definition in my Webster's says: of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance or quality. So yeah, I suppose it's one of those words that are completely up for debate--which sucks, because the internet doesn't need one more thing to argue about lol.

Edited by Sevendaymelee

3 hours ago, BennyBoy said:

Thanks for all the input. She bought it for $1600. It's not in as good of shape as we thought it was but still not bad. Need some love but plays well. 

Were you able to ascertain it’s authenticity? Hopefully you did.. And if so, a great buy! Enjoy..