Gibson Brands Forums

How to tell if an ES 345 is real or fake

Patgiff

I am looking at a guitar in an estate sale.  It appears to be an ES 345 and has a serial number 020055566.  Does not have any paperwork, has no sticker inside the body, and has a Bigsby which does not look exactly like any at the Bigsby website.  It is supposed to be from the year 2005 - which does not match to that serial number.  How do I know it is real or fake?

IMG_0117.JPG

It is a 2005, and the serial number does match the year. The way Gibson did the serial number back then was from the left the first 5 numbers are the day it was stamped. With the serial 0200555666 you take the first (0) and fifth number (5) and that is the year. Then the three numbers in the middle (200) are the Julian Date so it was stamped July 19th, 2005. Plus I don't think someone would make a fake with a Bigsby and a Varitone on it. The other numbers mean stuff too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Patgiff said:

the people selling all the gear just want to get rid of it, the guy was a Guitar Messy and had guitars, amps, pickups, pedals. in every corner of his little house.  My friend bought 4 guitars for $6100 including 3 with all the paperwork.

Nice. What is a Guitar Messy?

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nice. What is a Guitar Messy?

A messy is a person who lives in a big uncontrollable mess.  I just made up the term Guitar Messy after I saw that house 🙂  Some hanging on the walls, some in cases, some in the wrong cases...I wondered where he slept.

2 minutes ago, Patgiff said:

A messy is a person who lives in a big uncontrollable mess.  I just made up the term Guitar Messy after I saw that house 🙂  Some hanging on the walls, some in cases, some in the wrong cases...I wondered where he slept.

Oh a horder. If you gotta horde something at least it was guitars and gear. Some people have 100's of cats and garbage all over.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

57 minutes ago, Patgiff said:

$800

for a USA made 345,  that would be a steal, and would be clear sign that whoever is managing the estate sale has no idea what they are doing.

If anyone is paying attention that might not fly, but, heck,  what's the harm in asking?

This has 355 appointments as opposed to a 345. 

Could be wrong, but a few things don't look right to me on this one..... I would email Gibson customer services the serial number (along with the picture) and ask if they can help verify it for you before you fork out any $$$.

15 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Yes and right below the Tone Suck Device it looks like there's a mini dip switch.

I had an old 335 with a coil splitting switch but it was a full sized toggle, not a mini one.

1wG4k1k.jpg

Should the jack plug socket not be on the face of the guitar like on a 335?

• Like 1