Gibson Brands Forums

Do you have any guitars you bought on Ebay?

daveinspain

I won the bidding on a Les Paul Faded Double Cut...$500. The dipstick seller shipped it with no signature required and it was delivered to my front porch and dropped of by UPS. Sometime between the delivery and me getting home, it was stolen.

I bought my ES135 off Ebay, it was the perfect transaction and it's my favorite player.

I've bought only one guitar from Ebay and that's my Reverend Slingshot. It's a good guitar for some things but definitely not something I'd use as a main guitar. It's a long story, but the seller was GREAT and went well beyond the call of duty when it came to shipping (he lived in New Orleans when Katrina hit, packed up everything he could fit in his car - including the guitar - and ended up shipping it to me from Tennessee). But, that purchase really formed my opinion about playing a guitar before buying it; like I said, it's cool for certain sounds but I don't play it all that often.

Obligatory giant picture:

slingshot.jpg

Most of the guitars that go through my fingers are ebay purchases because there aren't any real music stores in northern Maine. I can't say I've ever had a real bad exp buying on ebay. Not guitars anyway....

The way I see it, you can't compare ebay purchases with brick and mortar store purchases. I know I'm taking a chance from the get-go and I do my best to make an informed purchase, buyer beware, a little faith that people are basically honest. If I'm disappointed in a guitar it's generally not the seller's fault, it just wasn't meant to be. I flip it and hope I get my money back. Most of the time I hit the auction lucky to begin with and can actually make money on flipping it. Even if I lose $50 on a $500 guitar at least it's gone!

Bought off of eBay:

Gibson SG Standard

Gibson SG Classic

Larrivee L-05

Guild Bluesbird

Guild S-100

Alvarez-Yairi DY-90

Ironically, the only one I had trouble with was the last one, which was bought - on eBay - from a brick-and-mortar guitar shop in N.C. They sent me a totally defective product - which they acknowledged later - then made ME pay to ship it back to them!

Over all, I would not be afraid to buy and sell on eBay.

I got a Les Paul Jr. It had been relic'd (something new to me) but I lowballed and wound up winning. The back of the neck had been stripped, and it has some funky stickers on it. I think it has a Lindy Fralin P 90 on it. It cuts like a knife. I'm realy not into purposely aging a guitar, but this is kinda funky and I wouldn't think of selling it.

Guitarscopy.jpg

P1010005.jpg

Archived