Gibson Brands Forums

Alternate uses of anything

Mr. Gibson

A/C can create moisture too.  Which is why when you get central A/C in your house, they also put in a little pump next to  your furnace to pump the excess condensation though a plastic tube to empty into your nearest drain or the laundry tubs.  And why after driving your car with the air on for a while, you'll find a puddle of water under your car after it's been parked a few minutes.  [wink]  But yeah, you're right.  A house with central A/C is much drier than without.  

But then Crow might want to investigate the effects of cold v warm on guitar wood and strings.  I've always been warned by others not to stay outside with my guitar too long when it's cold because it negatively affects the strings.  

I guess it all depends on how cool you crank up the air in your house in the matter of playing your guitar out on the porch on a very hot day and taking it inside of an extremely cool house.  All I remember from science class(when it didn't put me to sleep) was that cold causes metal to contract, and heat causes it to expand.

Whitefang

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

I guess it all depends on how cool you crank up the air in your house in the matter of playing your guitar out on the porch on a very hot day and taking it inside of an extremely cool house.  All I remember from science class(when it didn't put me to sleep) was that cold causes metal to contract, and heat causes it to expand.

If your guitar gets to warm the glue can loosen up, and then, welcome to who know what is going to shift or move on your guitar. Remember its held together with nothing but glue on most if not all acoustic guitars. The only metal on my guitars are the tuners, screws to secure the tuners, and the frets. But that kind of heat is due to leaving it your trunk or a similarly warm place.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

A/C can create moisture too.  Which is why when you get central A/C in your house, they also put in a little pump next to  your furnace to pump the excess condensation though a plastic tube to empty into your nearest drain or the laundry tubs.  And why after driving your car with the air on for a while, you'll find a puddle of water under your car after it's been parked a few minutes.  [wink]  But yeah, you're right.  A house with central A/C is much drier than without.  

But then Crow might want to investigate the effects of cold v warm on guitar wood and strings.  I've always been warned by others not to stay outside with my guitar too long when it's cold because it negatively affects the strings.  

Whitefang

Actually an A/C unit does not creat moisture. The little pump is actually pumping the moisture that the unit removed from the air into, usually, the nearest drain. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If your guitar gets to warm the glue can loosen up, and then, welcome to who know what is going to shift or move on your guitar. Remember its held together with nothing but glue on most if not all acoustic guitars. The only metal on my guitars are the tuners, screws to secure the tuners, and the frets. But that kind of heat is due to leaving it your trunk or a similarly warm place.

Chief,

If variations in temperature and humidity weakening the glue joints in your guitars are keeping you up at night, might I suggest that you invest in a pop-rivet gun?

I did, and now I don't even bother to fill those little humidifier thingys anymore.

(Guitars are a little heavier though.)

RBSinTo

14 hours ago, gdecant1 said:

Actually an A/C unit does not creat moisture. The little pump is actually pumping the moisture that the unit removed from the air into, usually, the nearest drain. 

I was really referring to condensation.    Which runs off the compressor in your car's unit and causes that puddle on the driveway

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My guitars don't generate heat so really they never get to warm anything.  If they did I'd turn off my furnace and "spoon" with my guitars all winter.  [wink]

Whitefang

12 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I was really referring to condensation.    Which runs off the compressor in your car's unit and causes that puddle on the driveway

My guitars don't generate heat so really they never get to warm anything.  If they did I'd turn off my furnace and "spoon" with my guitars all winter.  [wink]

Whitefang

Guitars don’t generate heat that I know, but talk to the guy who put his 3000 guitar in the trunk during the summer, and I’ll bet it’s time for a neck reset.

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

I was actually referring to the moisture (condensation) that the pump on your furnace was removing from the evaporator coil in your furnace. Same with your auto a/c. The majority of the puddle is moisture (condensation) from the evaporator coil usually located behind your dashboard. The evaporator coil in an ac unit is what the moisture in the air condensates on. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, gdecant1 said:

. The majority of the puddle is moisture (condensation) from the evaporator coil usually located behind your dashboard. 

Behind my dashboard?  Well, going front to back that would be me.  [wink]  And that for years I've noticed whenever I drive for a long period of time my a$$ feels like I've been sitting in a puddle, but I don't think that has any relation to what we're discussing.  😉

But also for years I've noticed that the puddle that forms under the car, when pulling out of the driveway and then noticing it, appears to be more toward where the front of the car would have been.

Whitefang