Gibson Brands Forums

PRS Sonzera amp repair.

saturn

I figured I'd show a little love to the folks at PRS. 

As I mentioned in some previous threads, my PRS amp died on me in the middle of a gig this past summer. I lost the receipt and couldn't remember the purchase date so I just assumed it was out of Warrantee. A friend thought he could fix it but couldn't. Then I took it to Bill's Music and they charged me $45 to tell me they couldn't fix it. So I ended up taking it to PRS directly. Since I had no receipt and could only guess purchase date by an old digital photo (1/11/2020) I fully expected to pay between $100 - $200 for the repair.  Well it took them about 3 weeks, but when I went over to the Stevensville facility to pick it up, I was happily surprised that they covered it under Warrantee, [thumbup]

Here's the old photo I used to estimate DOP

PcO0kzf.jpg

Now, I have no full band gigs booked until Spring to get it some use, But I'm sure we will get some booking before then and I can crank it again.

I guess this falls under the No Complaint Department.

Edited by saturn
spelling eror
  • Like 1

• saturn changed the title to PRS Sonzera amp repair.

I'm sure we can come up with some complaints if we think about it.  First of all, it broke down in the middle of a gig - I'd be disappointed about that.  Then you spent $45 for nothing, and it took PRS 3 weeks to fix.

Just kidding - glad you got it sorted out under warranty. 

3 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I'm sure we can come up with some complaints if we think about it.  First of all, it broke down in the middle of a gig - I'd be disappointed about that.  Then you spent $45 for nothing, and it took PRS 3 weeks to fix.

Just kidding - glad you got it sorted out under warranty. 

Yeah, the first 3 things were kinda complaints. [biggrin] Should have just taken in to PRS first. They said they replaced diodes in output transformer, whatever that means. They also biased the power tubes while there. 

3 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

My friend used to have that same guitar. It was pretty good. Glad you got the amp fixed

Thanks. I got that guitar when the bass player in my band knocked my Les Paul over and the headstock broke. He felt so bad he gave me that PRS. It's an SE and he probably got it for free from Paul himself because he used to run sound whenever Paul Reed Smith band played. 

Actually, that incident was almost 3 years ago to the day. It was the night before Thanksgiving 2019.   

I never even knew they made amps.

There's nothing like World Class Service. Works every time.

20+ years ago I used to send Peavey gear to Meridian and they'd repair stuff and bring it back to specs. Price was right, turnaround was quick and they knew their stuff. Then they suddenly fired everybody, closed up shop and now it all comes from CHINA and you never see it anymore.

Glad that worked out.

50 minutes ago, Murph said:

I never even knew they made amps.

There's nothing like World Class Service. Works every time.

20+ years ago I used to send Peavey gear to Meridian and they'd repair stuff and bring it back to specs. Price was right, turnaround was quick and they knew their stuff. Then they suddenly fired everybody, closed up shop and now it all comes from CHINA and you never see it anymore.

Glad that worked out.

yea, the techs at Peavey were always available to talk to if  you called for support and,  someone that actually worked on that stuff answered the phone.  If they didn't know your product, they'd get someone on the phone that did.

Same was true for Heritage.  I called one day about an H575 guitar (Their  ES175) I had a question on.    I asked the question the guy on the other end says "hang on a sec..."

2 minutes later, I'm talking to one of the Archtop luthiers who immediately answered the question, and talked to me for about 15/20 minutes about the finer minutia of that guitar.

That  kind of customer service is now quite rare.  It's good to know PRS hasn't jumped the shark yet.

Edited by kidblast