Gibson Brands Forums

Danny Kalb R.I.P.

zombywoof

You would think I have gotten use to this kind of news by now.  But this one has hit me particularly hard.  Danny Kalb was one of the guys who in the mid-1960s opened my eyes to what a guitar could do. Danny started ut backing up folks like Judy Collins, Phil Oches and Bon Dylan and joining Dave Van Ronk's Ragtime Jug Stompers.  He will always, however, best be remembered for his time with the Blues Project.  His 1969 LP "Crosscurrents" which he recorded with Stefan Grossman though remains an acoustic tour de force.

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Early 70's free form / underground radio.

There will never again be a time like that.

The Blues Project was certainly a staple on college radio.  The band itself though formed in 1965 and was gone by 1968 when Al Kooper and Seve Katz formed Blood, Sweat and Tears. The classic lineup only issued one studio LP and a couple of 45 rpms.  The rest were live LPs and a Greatest Hits package.   There were reunions though one of which was recorded and issued on a double LP.  I remember in the mid-1960s thinking you guys can keep your Clapton and Beck because we had Bloomfield and Kalb.

My favorite radio station was WBAI.  It was a Pacifica Foundation and being totally supported by the public had an anything goes outlook.  They would do things to raise money like having Phil Ochs waiting to go on live in the studio but would not bring them out until they had raised $500.  If you ever find yourself bored looking for something to goof around with to kill some time look up Bob Fass whose show was called "Radio Unnameable."  

The original "Blues Project" title was a compilation of NYC folk (mostly) artist put together by Elektra. Kalb, Geof Muldaur (Even Dozen String Band),  Dave Von Ronk (mentor to Dylan when he arrived in Greenwich Village. Mark Spoelstra and several more.  They later morphed with different artists to form the band of the same name.  Different labels, members coming and going - but that original album was probably the one I played most back in the day.   Sad to see - reports like this coming up more and more frequently.  Thanks, Zmbywf.

8 hours ago, Murph said:

Different times, for sure.

KCAC (Mesa/Phoenix) and then the original KDKB played all that stuff in the early 70's. I still despise POP music and my wife has no idea why...

Once you get past the plague of Bobbys in the late-1950s into the 1960s, I love good Pop music.  The Power Pop of the 1980s with  bands like the Plimsouls and the Del Fuegos  was particularly infectous.

9 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

The original "Blues Project" title was a compilation of NYC folk (mostly) artist put together by Elektra. Kalb, Geof Muldaur (Even Dozen String Band),  Dave Von Ronk (mentor to Dylan when he arrived in Greenwich Village. Mark Spoelstra and several more.  They later morphed with different artists to form the band of the same name.  Different labels, members coming and going - but that original album was probably the one I played most back in the day.   Sad to see - reports like this coming up more and more frequently.  Thanks, Zmbywf.

Yeah, I assumed the band took their name from that LP.  If not, it would have been one a heck of a coincidence.  By the way, Dave Van Ronk was also a mentor to Kalb.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

It is jarring to see legends pass. I listened to WEBN (Cincinnati) in the late sixties, by early seventies it had morphed into commercial dreck. 'EBN introduced me to Fahey, Renborn, Jansch, Bloomfield, Tim Buckley, Phil Ochs, Zal Yanovsky..........the list can only get longer of course but it sucks. So many too early. On the other hand, it has been fifty years and I for one feel incredibly lucky to have ever heard these greats. It compels me to see artists that come around whenever I can.

• Like 1

I feel lucky in that not only did I get to listen to them but to have seen the likes of Tim Buckley, the Blues Project and many others.   My favorite radio station was WBAI in NY.  This was a Pacifica Radio Network station which has been listener-supported since it was founded by two pacifists right after WWII.  Each station had total control over their programming.  I will never forget Bob Fass with his Radio Unnameable show which first aired in 1963.  Pretty much counterculture radio before there was a counterculture.   But the station used to do fund raisers where they would have say Phil Ochs ready to do a live in the studio performance but would not let him go on until they had raised $500.  

Edited by zombywoof

19 hours ago, Dave F said:

I was in love with Robin Woods!

That's right.  Weren't you living right across the state line and had attended the University of Cincnnati?   I recall you mentioning it when I noted my daughter was thinking of going to that school.  Even though they offered her a decent scholarship she ended up going to Kent State which is about 20 minutes down the road meaning no room or board would be needed. 

On 11/23/2022 at 9:27 AM, Murph said:

Different times, for sure.

I still despise POP music and my wife has no idea why...

Do you like those English Beatles? We're they not considered a Pop Group? Yep I think they were. As a matter of fact, probably the biggest and most famous ones of all of record music history. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, zombywoof said:

That's right.  Weren't you living right across the state line and had attended the University of Cincnnati?   I recall you mentioning it when I noted my daughter was thinking of going to that school.  Even though they offered her a decent scholarship she ended up going to Kent State which is about 20 minutes down the road meaning no room or board would be needed. 

I grew up in Cincinnati and went to UC. 
Moved across the river after I got married.