Gibson Brands Forums

Making a Guitar! No Gibson.

BluesKing777

Thought I'd just give it a quick look. Until seeing this artist's  first step - 'clamping' the bookmarked spruce face pieces together using thick cotton twine, and tightening the windings by tapping in a couple of triangular wedged shape shims.  Then I was hooked !   He then went on to whittle out  the inlay space for the roseate with a hand chisel only going down 1/8" in a circle !!!   This guy is amazing !     At 14:53, after seeing the time consuming process of just getting  to the attachment of the neck to the face, while he's gluing the sides onto the face somehow... you see he has over a dozen guitars in the background lined up that he has 'clamped' with that twine - back, sides and face.    At 17:00 he uses a couple of dozen CLOTHES PINS to hold the glued kerfing on to the Sides getting ready to attach the back.  And while that dries - glues in 3 or 4 dozen little right angle pieces to brace the sides to the face.   I'LL NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT GLUE DROPS AGAIN.  Or a roughly sanded brace !   He scores and Hand Chisels out the small channels on the face and side to insert the binding, which he then 'clamps' with his ubiquitous thick cotton twine/rope.  Then repeats the same time/labor intensive process after it's dried - to place the back binding.  He hand chisels and carves the neck heel. Perfectly symmetrical !  And then hand carves the neck!  Almost seems like the craftsman could place the bridge and frets from memory - eyeballing them.  Nice to see him deliver it to his customer and hear it played.  

Thanks BluesKing.   This should be a "Required Reading" for us on the Acoustic sub-forum. 

14 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

It is certainly a long involved process!

I assume there were glue drying days as well.

He looks so confident!

BluesKing777.

I  googled  "Bros".   This guy had a shirt on that said "Paco".   He's the owners'  son.  Husband and wife started it  around 70 years ago after gaining experience separately at other Classical/Flamenco guitar makers in Spain.  They have a good assortment  of guitars and will build to order.   Seem to run around $7K USD.    My first 'real' guitar (after a Stella) was a Gibson Classical CO.  So, I have a soft spot for them, although I can't play that genre to save my arse,  Had a relapse several years ago and bought a  Cordoba   Gypsy King.  Gave it to my son after a couple of years.  Light as a feather.   

Fantastic.  What an artist.  I love the way he violently went after that neck heel with a chisel and a knife and the way he would jam the guitar up against a concrete wall to scrape the sides - yet in the end it all came out smooth as glass.  Never saw a ruler in the entire video (OK, a few templates).

Thanks for posting.  I'll stick to trying to learn how to play and forget building.