Gibson Brands Forums

Purple street lights?

saturn

Anyone have the street lights in their neighborhood shine a creepy purple light? Several around my streets are like that. I was thinking maybe it was something to do with our NFL team, The Ravens, colors. Of course there are also people who insist it's some conspiracy related to 5G or some such thing.

Nope. It's more mundane. If you see these lights and are curious, here's an article which explains the phenomenon. 

Representatives of the affected cities offer a little more detail. "The purple streetlights are a result of the phosphor coating delaminating from the LEDs," says Fiona Hughes, a representative for the city of Vancouver. Brooks, of Duke Power, points to the same cause. "There's a laminate on the fixture that gives it its white color," he says. "As that laminate began to degrade, it caused the color tint to change toward purple." 

https://www.businessinsider.com/led-city-streetlights-turning-purple-broken-tech-danger-2022-11?utm_source=naptownScoop+&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=december2022

I'm sure the people worried about the 5G menace won't be convinced. :rolleyes:

Edited by saturn
wording

When I was a teen there was a building downtown that had a yellowish light box in front to ilumintae the front wall. Everyone called it "Purple City" cause if you looked into the light box for a minuite or two ,then when you look around every light you see would be a viberant  purple. Not good for the eyes I would think. Kids.