Gibson Brands Forums

any thoughts on this?

jannusguy

Looks like an early Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe, c1934. Uniform deep body like an original jumbo. Neck: maybe the original neck re-cut and shaped, maybe a J 35 neck. Probably want too much for it although it could be a great sounding guitar. This is one you would want in your hand to check out the neck work.

terry

not goin' after it. just wanted to see if any of you had thoughts similar to mine. i'm quite content with my re-issue. i emailed seller with my thoughts (not j45/ poss. smeck) but he didn't make them known in the listing. no surprise there.

Man, would I like to get my mitts on this one!!

It's clearly not a J45-

1. the body is DEEP throughout:

2. 12 frets?

A refinish always scares me. Who knows how it was done? But this could be a screamer of a player. Someone, please, buy this and if it's really good, sell it to me cheap. :-s

I believe the Gibson logo on the headstock is part of the "refin" and this suggests it is an Epiphone (which fits the headstock shape and tuner locations). The back wood has terrible grain - not what you would see in a 40s Gibson. I am convinced it is a combination of alterations on a non-Gibson guitar.

Don't know what it is.

But I know what it ain't.

And' date=' no, I don't think this fella from Arab, Al. talked to anyone at Gibson.[/quote']

is this b/c of his statements or because he's from Arab, AL? i used to live down there. those guys are quicker to call a manufacturer than anyone i've ever met. and being in AL doesn't make them stupid.... especially that area. guys around there are hardcore (mostly bluegrass) musicians and they probably know more about Martin and Gibson acoustics that anyone you've ever met.

so, yeah, this guy might be telling a lie, but don't think for a second that he's dumb or didn't contact Gibson b/c of where he lives.

Hmm... Seller's only got 3 sales to his credit and *no* feedback, and he's selling an item (not cheap, either) about which there are a number of questions, as evidenced above. This alone would make it a "no go" for me.

Personally, I would stay away from this one.

is this b/c of his statements or because he's from Arab' date=' AL? i used to live down there. those guys are quicker to call a manufacturer than anyone i've ever met. and being in AL doesn't make them stupid.... especially that area. guys around there are hardcore (mostly bluegrass) musicians and they probably know more about Martin and Gibson acoustics that anyone you've ever met.

so, yeah, this guy might be telling a lie, but don't think for a second that he's dumb or didn't contact Gibson b/c of where he lives.[/quote']

No, because too much of his offering smells a bit off. Don't make any difference what city or state he's from. I never implied or said anything about his resume. Just too much don't look right.

Just too much don't look right.

Ditto. And as I've said many times on this forum (hum, hum!): why pay good money for a questionable guitar when there are plenty of good ones out there for the same or maybe even less money? Man, it buggers belief!

No' date=' because too much of his offering smells a bit off. Don't make any difference what city or state he's from. I never implied or said anything about his resume. Just too much don't look right. [/quote']

i totally agree with all of that. since you pointed out where he was, i wasn't sure about the other part though. no worries! all cool. i'm just heard that sort of thing before and was hoping you weren't going down that road. i agree with you about the issues with the ad 100% though!

Archived