Gibson Brands Forums

Electrifying a Gibson C-1 Classical?

orjazz

I have a 60's era Gibson C-1 Classical guitar that I am considering installing a pickup in. Don't know if this is good idea or not. I really like the guitar as is, but it just needs something. Maybe electrifying it would be what it needs. Is this an ethical thing to do? Or is that a consideration. It's not an extremely valuable guitar. I would think it would devalue it somewhat, but I don't really care as long as it produces the outcome I am looking for. Would this be something a reasonably handy person could do themselves, or would a guitar tech. be required? If I could do it myself, what pickup/brand would be suggested? Thank you all in advance. 

Definitely not going to hurt its value. I’d say go for it but do your homework for a  pickup that will get the sound you’re looking for out of a nylon guitar. I had a couple of them but wound up getting a Taylor nylon string guitar with a built in pickup. 

Here’s a link to a guitar pickup that I used on one of my classical guitars.  It’s really more of a microphone.  No changes to the guitar are necessary.  It comes with a small magnet what you put inside the guitar with a sticky substance and then you put the pickup over the magnet on the top of the guitar.  Then you affix the cord to the guitar’s strap so gravity doesn’t cause it to fall off.  If you don’t have a strap, I guess it could wrap around or with a clip (not supplied) somehow be attached to your belt   Finding the sweet spot for the pickup on the guitar’s top usually below and in front of the sound hole or below and behind the soundhole on the guitar’s top.  Or behind the bridge on the top.  You may have to try a few places.  You want to make sure it won’t get knocked off bu your picking hand of course.

I bought a few of the magnets with the sticky stuff and also move the pickup to a uke.  

it sounds pretty good on a nylon string instrument, enabling it to be through an amp.

Here’s the link.

https://www.clingon.co/clingon-pickup

QM aka”Jazzman” Jeff

Thank you both for your replies. I haven't checked out the link, but I will.  Going to be awhile but I'll post how things turned out. I thought maybe I would get a reply saying never do such a thing! I'm glad I asked the question. Thanks again.

As a DIY project, I can tell you from personal experience that the most difficult part is installing the female jack in the bottom of the lower bout. 

A friend and I put a pickup in my Washburn parlour guitar, and we needed his pre-teen daughter to put her arm inside the sound hole to secure the threaded ring nut as neither of us had small enough hands and arms to do it.

We also had to customized the pick-up attachment as it was too large to fit the sound hole, and in the end, modified it so it was easily removable as necessary.

Sounds ok, but not great.

But that  will to a great extent depend on the quality of the pick-up, and mine was quite inexpensive.

RBSinTo

or jazz -     I hate it when people do this -   don't answer your question and suggest a completely different 'solution'.    BUT ...  research a bit the cost of doing this, considering if you can do it yourself or will need to pay a tech ....   and then look at Used Classical Guitars on line to see if you can find a decent, inexpensive one that has the amp and electronics that were installed at the factory.   I had a really nice Cordoba GK that came that way. Relatively inexpensive. You'd be getting another guitar, not just a pickup ! 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Cordoba/C5CE-Classical-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc      $280

While a pickup - without installation labor will cost approximately  $100.  

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

or jazz -     I hate it when people do this -   don't answer your question and suggest a completely different 'solution'.  

Yet in your first post in this thread you didn’t answer his question and just named Chet, Charo,  and the Gipsy Kings. Kind of the same nothing . . . Eh?

And it’s spelled with an “i” not  a “y”. Well it usually is with a “y”, but not the way the musical group spelled it.

Remember I just learned how to use Google.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. I thought of Willie's Martin when first considering this. If Willie did it must be okay. I love the sound of his guitar. Earl Klugh comes to mind as well. Thanks again for your comments. All good food for thought.

20 minutes ago, orjazz said:

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. I thought of Willie's Martin when first considering this. If Willie did it must be okay. I love the sound of his guitar. Earl Klugh comes to mind as well. Thanks again for your comments. All good food for thought.

Man I haven’t hear that guys name in ages. Back In Central Park. 

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yet in your first post in this thread you didn’t answer his question and just named Chet, Charo,  and the Gipsy Kings. Kind of the same nothing . . . Eh?

And it’s spelled with an “i” not  a “y”. Well it usually is with a “y”, but not the way the musical group spelled it.

Remember I just learned how to use Google.

Yep,   of simply " -1 SP"   as my 5th grade teacher use to deal with my spelling errors.   Probably in this case  "-2  Proper Name"

As far as the rest -   Since you  noted Segovia didn't need a pickup for his classical guitar, (and  QM  pointed out that Willie did) -  I thought I'd add a few others you might not have heard of and could look up on Google while checking my spelling.    Bet you were surprised to learn  Charo studied under your Segovia.  

16 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yep,   of simply " -1 SP"   as my 5th grade teacher use to deal with my spelling errors.   Probably in this case  "-2  Proper Name"

As far as the rest -   Since you  noted Segovia didn't need a pickup for his classical guitar, (and  QM  pointed out that Willie did) -  I thought I'd add a few others you might not have heard of and could look up on Google while checking my spelling.    Bet you were surprised to learn  Charo studied under your Segovia.  

I'm an awful speller too. I have no Masters Degree, just a Lib Arts BS weenie. I just remembered that the Gipsy Kings didn't use a Y in their spelling, and I did not need to look it up. Man there is a big huge world out there now that I found out about Googling stuff. I can view cat pictures, and racist post and all sorts of political garbage people spew. And if you click on the right sites you can see women's boobies. I might have spelled boobies wrong. Help me out people.

I did not know I owned Andres Segovia? Your, the way you used it implies ownership. Like the statement - "I came home from work and your dog pooped on the floor". Man that guy was good with the Etudes and Sonatas.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 1/10/2023 at 8:40 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Andres Segovia didn’t need a pickup. So - No.

But it’s your guitar, so do what you must.

He was dead before acoustic guitar pickups were even a thought.   and he would have hated them anyway.

5 minutes ago, kidblast said:

is there nothing you won't try to argue about?

How is asking a question arguing? I though he died in the early 60's, but no it was 87. I googled it. Its this new thing I just learned about. Man cat pix are so cute.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper