Gibson Brands Forums

Of neck radii, contour, profile etc.

Narwhal6

I bought my LPC about 32 years ago. I had a Peavey Patriot as my first electric and just wanted something more substantial, and at the time was in a band.

I bought the Les Paul because it felt familiar to me, it reminded me of the Sherwood acoustic guitar I learned on. Thick neck, ebony fretboard, block inlays, I was immediately comfortable with it.

My guitar collection has grown since then but they're all very familiar feeling to me, same radius, same profile, same scale length (except the Nighthawk).

Now I'm feeling like trying something new, 25.5 scale, compound radius, maybe a super strat style. Just curious if most here tend to play very similarly spec'd guitars or are there a few that have something quite different than their Gibson?

For the record I've never liked the dowel rod necks that are on most Fenders, but something as capable as a Strat without the small radius.

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

What about a Gibson Nighthawk or Blueshawk..  Longer scale length and very different pickups and a blade pickup switch. Sort of a more Fender like Gibson.

I already have one, it's kind of what's made me curious as I notice it plays differently with the longer scale length and increased string tension.

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

These folks have made this claim for decades.  Always wondered what was behind it all.  [wink]

http://hagstrom.org.uk/images/mkt/hagstr22.jpg

Sorry, couldn't find one with an "Https" URL.

Whitefang

I have one. Of course this is marketing hype. The necks are very stable & nice feeling though. This is a pic of their H Expander truss rod.

h-expander.jpg

On 3/10/2023 at 6:16 PM, Narwhal6 said:

I bought my LPC about 32 years ago. I had a Peavey Patriot as my first electric and just wanted something more substantial, and at the time was in a band.

I bought the Les Paul because it felt familiar to me, it reminded me of the Sherwood acoustic guitar I learned on. Thick neck, ebony fretboard, block inlays, I was immediately comfortable with it.

My guitar collection has grown since then but they're all very familiar feeling to me, same radius, same profile, same scale length (except the Nighthawk).

Now I'm feeling like trying something new, 25.5 scale, compound radius, maybe a super strat style. Just curious if most here tend to play very similarly spec'd guitars or are there a few that have something quite different than their Gibson?

For the record I've never liked the dowel rod necks that are on most Fenders, but something as capable as a Strat without the small radius.

I was nervous about trying Gibsons because I had never moved away from 25.5" scale models before. I had a couple of Jackson Soloists; one of them was my sole gigging guitar for at least 16 years. They have compound radius necks. Very comfy. Are they better? Maybe for many people they are, though I would be just as happy with a flat neck (16" radius) all the way down.

Try a couple and see what you think. 

11 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I was nervous about trying Gibsons because I had never moved away from 25.5" scale models before. I had a couple of Jackson Soloists; one of them was my sole gigging guitar for at least 16 years. They have compound radius necks. Very comfy. Are they better? Maybe for many people they are, though I would be just as happy with a flat neck (16" radius) all the way down.

Try a couple and see what you think. 

That's funny because that's kind of how I feel about laying out money for a 25.5 scale guitar.

I've had my Nighthawk for years ( it was a prize in a Gibson photo contest in '95) and could never really put my finger on why it felt so different til I discovered it was 25.5 scale20200301_164346(2)(2).png.8bc02d317c4849908c0e5a6345752c31.png length. That made me more curious as to what always felt comfortable to me and why.

Suddenly it became much more fun to play than my 24.75 scale guitars, maybe just because it was different.

But that got me wondering about going full on super shredder, with their thin, compound radius necks.... just to have one in my collection.

And that led me to starting this thread to see if others have something quite different than the typical 24.75 scale, 12" radius specs on most Gibsons.

6 hours ago, Narwhal6 said:

That's funny because that's kind of how I feel about laying out money for a 25.5 scale guitar.

Suddenly it became much more fun to play than my 24.75 scale guitars, maybe just because it was different.

But that got me wondering about going full on super shredder, with their thin, compound radius necks.... just to have one in my collection.

And that led me to starting this thread to see if others have something quite different than the typical 24.75 scale, 12" radius specs on most Gibsons.

Scale length: I have 25.5", 24.75", 25" and 26" scale length guitars.

I can adjust to them all pretty quickly. Though I used to stick to a particular scale length for practicing before a gig. For electric guitar soloing, I prefer the tone above the 9th fret. So I use the upper end a lot. A longer scale length is handier for this, but its not all that important. Its just a slight preference. I have tried shorter scale lengths such as the Fender Duo Sonic with 24" scale. It sounds fine, but the shorter scale seems to add an extraneous 'thud' sound to the plucked string. Longer scales ring slightly clearer I think.

Fingerboard radii: I will no longer attempt to use Fenders 7.25" radius (I tried for many years). I have 9.5", 10", 12", 15" and an almost flat (20"?) classical guitar.

I prefer 15" or 16" radii for nickel/steel string  guitars. 

Diversity is nice.

Edited by merciful-evans
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Murph said:

I agree, but I play mandolin, resonator, banjo and guitar.

I'm probably getting a 24.25" scale parlor round neck tomorrow.

I've never played mandolin. I do have an ancient 12 string version of one (4 groups of 3 strings) but I think that's called something else. I used to try to play it as a child. I lost the bridge to it years ago. 

Banjo. I would love a 5 string one.

Be sure to share that Parlor if you get it Murph. 

2 hours ago, Murph said:

Pow.

VO40dtc.jpg

That is not at all what I was expecting! I know its new, but it looks like its seen 60 years service with that green finish that looks like oxidized brass. I found the Elderly (Recording King) website and seen the demo vid. What a terrific little guitar.