Gibson Brands Forums

Another interesting Reverb find Gibson ES Artist

Rabs

I was interested in buying one about the time I joined this forum....2012?   It had the original Moog electronics and so the seller wanted a very high price and wouldn't come down. 

I believe these were the rarest of the Artist models and top quality woods were used.   But the Moog additions didn't really do anything that 2 or 3 good pedals couldn't do, and in this  guitar they had to cut the circuit board into 2 and stack it inside the body to get it in.  It didn't work without a 9v battery either.  If the electronics malfunctioned (eventually) they were near-impossible to get fixed.

As it is now that's not such a bad price for a nice 335.  Is it me or is the body shape - the 'ears' - slightly different to the classic 335 outline?

https://www.es-335.com/2012/07/09/es-artist/

Edited by jdgm

11 hours ago, Rabs said:

[thumbup]

Very nice indeed, in superb nick, all original and almost £2k less than what the guy wanted for the one I was interested in, back in 2012!!  So that is a good price IMO.

They were all made with top-notch woods and materials.

However the caveats still apply; if/when the Moog gubbins goes wrong you haven't got much chance of getting it fixed.

It hasn't got the original crank buttons! Tsk! [laugh]

Edited by jdgm

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

[thumbup]

Very nice indeed, in superb nick, all original and almost £2k less than what the guy wanted for the one I was interested in, back in 2012!!  So that is a good price IMO.

They were all made with top-notch woods and materials.

However the caveats still apply; if/when the Moog gubbins goes wrong you haven't got much chance of getting it fixed.

It hasn't got the original crank buttons! Tsk! [laugh]

How about this one

https://reverb.com/uk/item/60830724-gibson-es-235-2019-black

Gibson ES 235 2019 Black image 2

• Like 1

I've never seen one  - quite near me, good price, tempting!  

But  April/May is all bills, bills, bills....aarrgghh.

I'd rather find another ES-139......[wink]

Edited by jdgm

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I don't much like figuring, but I have to agree that subtle quilt is quite special. . 

If I didnt already have my one with P90s I would have bought that by now....

26 minutes ago, Rabs said:

If I didnt already have my one with P90s I would have bought that by now....

I'm short of dosh ATM...might  have made an offer for that ES-235 otherwise.  But already have a thinline single cut with burstbuckers...[thumbup] 

When I get that sort of ££££ I should spend it on electrics....house electrics [smile]

Edited by jdgm
  • Haha 1