Gibson Brands Forums

Question about the Gibson App

Hi, 
First, I am very new to Gibson and pretty knew to playing the guitar. This really started during COVID and I am learning at 54. After going through MANY guitars, I am now 100% content with my Midtown Standard and my J-45. 

My comment is this. I have just started using the Gibson App and am having an issue advancing to the next section when learning songs. For example, I am working on Everlong and for the beginning, it starts you slow, then medium, then full speed. It seems like each speed should get you to a new level, but they are all combined in the same section, so I am stuck. Does this make sense? I get this is prob just me starting out a bit harder than I should. but I really want to get through this song.  I can play slow, and almost nail it at the medium speed, but having trouble with the fastest.

is anyone else seeing this?
thanks!
J

Edited by Jarrod_Midtown

simply stated,  it's possible that two things are going on

1: the song itself is a bit too advanced for where you are in your journey on playing.

or,, 

2: you're just not ready for it yet at "full" speed.  which in this case, seems to be where you are at

which one it is, you will have to decide.  your hands will just start finding their way, then you kind of know you're onto tsomething

Take some advice from a guy who's taught for many years, and played for even more,..

There are so many songs out there that are probably easier for where you are at.  Don't get stuck on one that has you stuck

Edited by kidblast

Lovely guitar [thumbup]

As the others have said.. Play slowly until you get it perfect and then speed up. And if you get too stuck, move on to something more fun and go back to it week or so....

One other thing to add is that if you are playing alone to practice. Get some sort of metronome or beat device..  Playing on the beat is just as important as playing the right notes.. So its always good to practice to a beat. 

Beautiful guitar. Agreed with Rabs that a metronome is an important practice tool. 

You might notice yourself becoming more physically tense as you try to play faster. As this happens, try to identify and eliminate any tension. Always try to think of the easiest way to pick the notes. For example some riffs are really easy if you start on an upstroke

Edited by Dub-T-123
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 9:07 PM, Jarrod_Midtown said:

I totally tense up! 

great advice. Thanks!

that is normal and common, as the song's parts get more intense,   

your timing/tempo is key to the "tensing" up problem

Edited by kidblast

Wow, and I thought I started late (30's), kudos to you! And what a beautiful guitar!

I don't have any experience with the Gibson app, but I had very nice results with Rocksmith 14.

Wich was available for game consoles and PC.

It has a feature called riff repeater in wich you can slow down a particular section, or the entire track. It has also some small lesson style tracks.

I believe that Everlong was part of the tracklist.

I think there is also a app version called Rocksmith+, wich I think should be more or less the same.

Well, whatever you do, keep playing that beautiful beast!

• Like 1