Gibson Brands Forums

RE: Adam Jones Les Paul Standard - Broken Headstock?

scarello

Anyone else experience one of these? I have seen a couple of YT videos where peeps received their long awaited AJ LPS only to have a broken headstock upon receipt.

I purchased an AJ LPS with a broken headstock off Reverb for pretty cheap, and one thing I found when disassembling for the repair was the tuners adjacent to where the headstock broke off (two E strings) where extremely tight in the openings - and it wasn't just paint, clear or compound build up. I ended up replacing them with Grover 502 locking tuners, which had plenty of room in the tuner holes.

Curious if the extra pressure in shipping was enough to snap off the headstock - thoughts?

-sc-

IMG_1185.jpeg

8 hours ago, scarello said:

Anyone else experience one of these? I have seen a couple of YT videos where peeps received their long awaited AJ LPS only to have a broken headstock upon receipt.

I purchased an AJ LPS with a broken headstock off Reverb for pretty cheap, and one thing I found when disassembling for the repair was the tuners adjacent to where the headstock broke off (two E strings) where extremely tight in the openings - and it wasn't just paint, clear or compound build up. I ended up replacing them with Grover 502 locking tuners, which had plenty of room in the tuner holes.

Curious if the extra pressure in shipping was enough to snap off the headstock - thoughts?

-sc-

IMG_1185.jpeg

Good Grief !  i would  throw it in the bin for anger 

• 5 weeks later...

Hello - I saw that auction.  I see a whole line-up of listings  AJ Standards with broken headstocks, all at the same point, all looking quite similar.   I wondered myself what the issue might be - did a rack of guitars fall over?  Is it a design flaw with the volute?  Or is it, like you said, because the E/e tuners are too tight?   A couple of the btoken ones I've seen are snapped right through the E/e holes, so you may be on to something....

I bought an AJ Standard from that seller - it was *not* broken, but it did have stress cracks in the lacquer on the joint between the fretboard and neck, from the nut to about the 2nd fret.   I checked very carefully signs of impact, there is none.  It's stable and does not move, and the guitar stays in tune just fine.  I'm tempted to check the E/e tuners and see if they are too tight...

I'm curious myself as to why I'm seeing all the broken AJ Standards, too...

4 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

Tight tuners did not cause that headstock break in the pic.  That's a clean break caused by a regular-old whack to the front top of the headstock.

Yep that is the old blunt force trauma aka it was dropped or fell over. The break is nowhere near the tuners . . . so those did not cause it.

• 2 months later...