Gibson Brands Forums

Help me find this j45 model please

Pimouss

Hi, 

I can't find the model of my J45. It is from 2008 and the label only says J45. 

I bought it two years ago and the seller said it was a vintage model. I think it is a true vintage. The serial number is inside the guitar, not on the headstock. 

Not a big deal for me but just to know what I have 🙂

I've put some pictures if someone can help me. 

Thank you very much

PXL_20230413_164606867.thumb.jpg.868b2d1b2ce807fd9558fadb6833b251.jpgPXL_20230412_065313178.thumb.jpg.ad8f59498cb0af66cfe0e69cb98794c9.jpgPXL_20230412_065338350.thumb.jpg.ffa1ff726ea029f6e629b982bbdf947f.jpgPXL_20230412_065303099.thumb.jpg.a8d7caa0347666616f5f525262ea4950.jpg

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Yep, normally Bozeman would have added a TV, but apparently forgot. 

No problem though - everything signalizes True Vintage. And the year tells us it's from the early wave (which isn't better btw.). 

I don't believe Gibson put True Vintage or TV on the labels initially. I have two, and they both simply say J45 and Southern Jumbo.

The signifier that the model is True Vintage was:

1.) The unique mix mix of features (including the Banner decal).

2.) The orange label itself. At that time, Gibson was using a white label. The orange label (at that time) was one of the mix of historic features.

Mine's wonderful. I hope the OP's is too.

Red 333

1 hour ago, Red 333 said:

I don't believe Gibson put True Vintage or TV on the labels initially. I have two, and they both simply say J45 and Southern Jumbo.

You may be right - could be added a few years later. 

Another J-45 True Vintage benchmark was and (still is ?) the adirondack top, , , if I'm not too far off. . 

And of course the slightly alternative bracing pattern. 

When looking closer into this flying (or is it burning ?!) 2008 TV (1 of the 167) - which has now gone further, there are extra letters after the Hummingbird.                                                                                                                Could say TV - could say VOS (vintage original specs). I simply don't recall. 

Z69d6A2.jpg

Edited by E-minor7

4 hours ago, Red 333 said:

Mine's wonderful. I hope the OP's is too.

Yes it is, for me at least that's all that matters 🙂

The only complaint is the one I have with every Gibson, the nitro finish !! 

I must have acid in my body because I change strings as often as my sockets and I can't keep a Gibson in mint condition whatever I do..... The nitro on the neck has really suffered and I made sort of "clouds" where my shoulder rests. 

Bad for sale value but that's ok I'll keep it !! 

I've got one of these too - mine's about 2.5 months younger than yours, I can concur with all the rest. What i heard is that these guitars were True Vintage models made before they figured out that they were going to call them "True Vintage."

Mine has a red spruce top and is my favorite acoustic.

On 4/16/2023 at 6:15 AM, jchabalk said:

I've got one of these too - mine's about 2.5 months younger than yours, I can concur with all the rest. What i heard is that these guitars were True Vintage models made before they figured out that they were going to call them "True Vintage."

Mine has a red spruce top and is my favorite acoustic.

So that explains why they wrote J45.

I guess all TV have the same top no ? 

On 4/15/2023 at 5:56 PM, Pimouss said:

Yes it is, for me at least that's all that matters 🙂

The only complaint is the one I have with every Gibson, the nitro finish !! 

I must have acid in my body because I change strings as often as my sockets and I can't keep a Gibson in mint condition whatever I do..... The nitro on the neck has really suffered and I made sort of "clouds" where my shoulder rests. 

Bad for sale value but that's ok I'll keep it !! 

Just saw this post- the clouded finish where the shoulder/arm drapes over the lower bout is something that is easily remedied with Virtuoso polish- it's formulated for nitro finished guitars... Gibsons love it. Just wanted to make sure you knew.

2 hours ago, jchabalk said:

That's my understanding, at some point (possibly right out of the gate) they also had a model called the J-45 Legend which was a variant of the TV

The True Vintage J45 and Legend J45 are two very different models.

The TV is an amalgam of never-combined J45 features from over several decades. It's the greatest hits compilation of J45s.

The Legend is a painstaking recreation of one specific 1942 J45, which was, if I remember, owned by Gibson historian and author Eldon Whitford.  Having one is like having an unplayed 70 year old guitar that was found in some closet.

Red 333

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Red 333 said:

The TV is an amalgam of never-combined J45 features from over several decades. It's the greatest hits compilation of J45s.

The Legend is a painstaking recreation of one specific 1942 J45, which was, if I remember, owned by Gibson historian and author Eldon Whitford.  Having one is like having an unplayed 70 year old guitar that was found in some closet.

Red 333

Ditto on this. I've had both models.

14 hours ago, Red 333 said:

Red 333

Your memory is right on!  It was Eldon Whitford's guitar, and if memory serves they replicated it right down to the saw marks on the braces!  

My memory is that 2008 was the year Gibson split what had been the J-45 into the Modern Classic and the True Vintage models.  I could be wrong, but it seems to me there were rolling changes to the TV as they went along - like maybe some early examples were built with Sitka before they went to Adirondack, and greater amounts of hide glue were used instead of titebond, etc.

The label colors from around 2008 on do appear to signify whether the instrument is a standard or modern version vs. a vintage-esque guitar. 

On 4/19/2023 at 6:37 AM, Pimouss said:

One more question, do you know if there was a COA for this model ? 

There may or may not have been. Gibson is not necessarily consistent in this.

If you did not get one, assume it doesn't exist. As a rule, Gibson does not issue a new COA to a subsequent owner.