Gibson Brands Forums

Butch (Retired) Hits The Road!

Digger

4 hours ago, Retired said:

Debbie requested an announcement to the accordian about my 70th, and he played HAPPY BIRTHDAY while the entire place sang. A bit embarrassing but I guess your 70 only once.

Priceless.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

You know, my wife and I have been showing grogs fir over 25 years. Ā  Ā  Weā€™re both judges.

Is a Grog an alcoholic drink? Or wine? We went to a wine tasting event way back when we were younger. Were not into wine but our son and his wife wanted us to go to it. I did sample just one that tasted good. Deb liked it too. Mostly had fruits in it.Ā 

On 4/21/2023 at 3:56 PM, Digger said:

Butch (Retired) has had a change of career! Grin~

On the way back from seeing the Ark replica they visited Indy and recognising talent when they see it they signed him up straight away! Of course Butch used to race his own drag cars earlier in his life.

Not bad transitioning to track racing considering his 70th birthday is tomorrow (22nd).

izrg1jK.jpg

I did like the frame on it. All Tubing. It reminded me of the Colt e raced. It was stripped down bare shell and no flooring. I bought a frame and 12 point cage from Arrow Dynamics and it was all Chrome Molly Tubbing. Our car with me in it weighed 1,600 pounds.The floor was all aluminum and had fiberglass parts. This one would be much lighter I'm sure.

21 minutes ago, Retired said:

Is a Grog an alcoholic drink? Or wine? We went to a wine tasting event way back when we were younger. Were not into wine but our son and his wife wanted us to go to it. I did sample just one that tasted good. Deb liked it too. Mostly had fruits in it.Ā 

From Wiki:

Grog is a term used for a variety of alcoholic beverages. The word originally referred to rum diluted with water (and later on long sea voyages, also added the juice of limes or lemons), which Edward Vernon introduced into the British naval squadron he commanded in the West Indies on 21 August 1740. Vernon wore a coat of grogram cloth and was nicknamed Old Grogram or Old Grog. The Merriamā€“Webster Collegiate Dictionary, which agrees with this story of the word's origin, states that the word grog was first used in this sense in 1770, though other sources cite 1749. In modern times, the term grog has had a variety of meanings in a number of different cultures, but is commonly used in Australia and New Zealand where it is a slang word for alcohol. In north German culture, Grog is a "classic winter drink from East Frisia" made of rum, sugar and water and heated to boiling point.[1] In Swedish, a "grogg" means a highball drink.

So, after that definition....I don't know what Grog is!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

From Wiki:

Grog is a term used for a variety of alcoholic beverages. The word originally referred to rum diluted with water (and later on long sea voyages, also added the juice of limes or lemons), which Edward Vernon introduced into the British naval squadron he commanded in the West Indies on 21 August 1740. Vernon wore a coat of grogram cloth and was nicknamed Old Grogram or Old Grog. The Merriamā€“Webster Collegiate Dictionary, which agrees with this story of the word's origin, states that the word grog was first used in this sense in 1770, though other sources cite 1749. In modern times, the term grog has had a variety of meanings in a number of different cultures, but is commonly used in Australia and New Zealand where it is a slang word for alcohol. In north German culture, Grog is a "classic winter drink from East Frisia" made of rum, sugar and water and heated to boiling point.[1] In Swedish, a "grogg" means a highball drink.

So, after that definition....I don't know what Grog is!

Thanks for the definition. I guess I did it way back too. Before I married, I used to go to a bar and order different drinks to taste each. Needles to say, I got hay wired a few times, Lol My old best friend and I drank Wild Turkey some but for some reason One drink knocked me down drunk fast. Can't remember which one? I stopped drinking when I married. That will be 43 years this November 17.Ā 

Just now, Retired said:

Thanks for the definition. I guess I did it way back too. Before I married, I used to go to a bar and order different drinks to taste each. Needles to say, I got hay wired a few times, Lol My old best friend and I drank Wild Turkey some but for some reason One drink knocked me down drunk fast. Can't remember which one? I stopped drinking when I married. That will be 43 years this November 17.Ā 

I know what you mean....when I was single (back when men lived in caves).... my drink of choice was Wild Turkey over ice.... got hammered a few times on that!

When I started going out with my wife, she said when I drank Wild Turkey, I turned into one....now, no whiskey or bourbon at all... gin now....and not very much.

2 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I know what you mean....when I was single (back when men lived in caves).... my drink of choice was Wild Turkey over ice.... got hammered a few times on that!

When I started going out with my wife, she said when I drank Wild Turkey, I turned into one....now, no whiskey or bourbon at all... gin now....and not very much.

When I was single, I drag raced the NHRA, Quarter mile and I showed Dobermans. So I was gone every weekend some place. The Doberman club was what got me into drinking. My first drink was spiked. My puppy won best in Sweepstakes. Best overall puppy, first place Open Black and something else. He won me some money. Paid for the trip, the hotel, and then some cash. Ā He won a big trophy. So the people from the club said I need to celebrate. They gave me a Screwdriver. But Mick spiked Ā it with who knows what? I just swallowed some from the top and was stone drunk. Dizzy, puked and passed out.

21 minutes ago, Retired said:

When I was single, I drag raced the NHRA, Quarter mile and I showed Dobermans. So I was gone every weekend some place. The Doberman club was what got me into drinking. My first drink was spiked. My puppy won best in Sweepstakes. Best overall puppy, first place Open Black and something else. He won me some money. Paid for the trip, the hotel, and then some cash. Ā He won a big trophy. So the people from the club said I need to celebrate. They gave me a Screwdriver. But Mick spiked Ā it with who knows what? I just swallowed some from the top and was stone drunk. Dizzy, puked and passed out.

I grew up in Fremont....so spending time at the Drag Strip was pretty normal, (and also means something COMPLETELY different today!)....especially on Friday nights for the grudge racing!

We also had a place we called "Little Fremont"...was a dead-end street that was maybe 2 miles long....there was a 1/4 mile 'strip' marked off at the very end, so we could see any cops coming LONG before they got there.....(doesn't mean they weren't regular 'visitors'!).

We started showing Pugs in 1995..... we owned and bred probably a couple dozen champions, (our foundation dog is a "ROM2", which means he sired 18 champions).Ā Ā Ā  I became a judge in 2009 and my wife became one a few years later.Ā Ā Ā  We are the people who put on WOOFSTOCK, (I do the music, of course).Ā  I'm talking with our panel of judges right now to prepare the songs to play when they're judging Groups.Ā  This year our Best In Show presenter is Craig Chaquico, lead guitarist for Jefferson Starship, (which is this year's theme).Ā Ā  I'm working with him to determine which of HIS SONGS he wants me to play when he presents the Best In Show trophy!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Retired said:

Yes, this is the 22nd, my 70th Birthday. We had to leave and run some errands so back now. I'm not on facebook but Debbie posted on it my 70th coming and I was surprised to get a ton of Birthday cards today. We went on a 5 day vacation to see the Creation Museum, Noahs Ark, A tour through Cincinnati, a river cruise down the Ohio River with dinner on it. And then to see the Indiapolis 500. We loved the Ark but its of course way modernized with elevators, Ā restrooms and many other things but it was nice. We were more impressed with the size. about 3 football fields. Very tall. Ā But getting to sit in this race car made my day. Would have loved to take a lap around the track though. Lol. We had an authentic German dinner which which was good. Again Debbie requested an announcement to the accordian about my 70th, and he played HAPPY BIRTHDAY while the entire place sang. A bit embarrassing but I guess your 70 only once.Ā 

Betcha Noah wished he had those restrooms on the original Ark.Ā  Especially for all those animals!Ā Ā [wink]Ā  Sounded like a good time.Ā  Glad you enjoyed it.

70, eh?Ā  Welcome to the club.Ā  I'll hit 72(hopefully)Ā  near the bottom of July.Ā  But like I always tell people, age is just a number, and you're only as old as you feel.Ā  And I don't feel a DAY over 95!Ā šŸ¤ŖĀ  I also remember my wife saying she was secure in the knowledge that I'm not going through my second childhood.Ā  saying,Ā  "He can't do that until he gets out of the FIRST one!"Ā [biggrin]

Happy birthday again my man.

Whitefang

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

70, eh?Ā  Welcome to the club.Ā  I'll hit 72(hopefully)Ā  near the bottom of July.Ā  But like I always tell people, age is just a number, and you're only as old as you feel.Ā  And I don't feel a DAY over 95!Ā šŸ¤ŖĀ  I also remember my wife saying she was secure in the knowledge that I'm not going through my second childhood.Ā  saying,Ā  "He can't do that until he gets out of the FIRST one!"Ā [biggrin]

Whitefang

I always say Age is relative..... that means, if all your relatives are old, chances are you are too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back to the Grog.Ā  My significant other for about 20 years was Norwegian and her family had their own version of Grog that they made themselves.Ā  It was wine based but spiked with some other liquors like vodka and scotch.Ā  Also had a lot of fruit added (oranges, orange peel, apple etc.) and she mixed it in a big pot on the stove.Ā  The fruit was strained out and then it was bottled and aged for a while.Ā  Usually drunk hot, we used to take a thermos with us cross country skiing and have a warm drink on the trail.Ā  I never really liked it but had to keep my mouth shut and it was potent.Ā  So, I guess "Grog" can be many things to different cultures.

7 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Betcha Noah wished he had those restrooms on the original Ark.Ā  Especially for all those animals!Ā Ā [wink]Ā  Sounded like a good time.Ā  Glad you enjoyed it.

Happy birthday again my man.

Whitefang

Hi Ken. It's been awhile. In August, My 2 sisters are 71 and 72.. Ā So we are a year apart. In August, they turn 72 and 73. My favorite time is whenI'm 70 and they are 72 and 73. I can do jokes about them Lol. Ā But it's not getting funny anymore as I hit 70. Now they are doing the jokes on me. Not sure if I want to experience the 80's? That Darn Brain Tumor cancer did a number on me and I feel 10 years older. I can't do a lot of things I used to do.Ā 

Hey, There's a thread. What can't you do anymore?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I grew up in Fremont....so spending time at the Drag Strip was pretty normal, (and also means something COMPLETELY different today!)....especially on Friday nights for the grudge racing!

We also had a place we called "Little Fremont"...was a dead-end street that was maybe 2 miles long....there was a 1/4 mile 'strip' marked off at the very end, so we could see any cops coming LONG before they got there.....(doesn't mean they weren't regular 'visitors'!).

We started showing Pugs in 1995..... we owned and bred probably a couple dozen champions, (our foundation dog is a "ROM2", which means he sired 18 champions).Ā Ā Ā  I became a judge in 2009 and my wife became one a few years later.Ā Ā Ā  We are the people who put on WOOFSTOCK, (I do the music, of course).Ā  I'm talking with our panel of judges right now to prepare the songs to play when they're judging Groups.Ā  This year our Best In Show presenter is Craig Chaquico, lead guitarist for Jefferson Starship, (which is this year's theme).Ā Ā  I'm working with him to determine which of HIS SONGS he wants me to play when he presents the Best In Show trophy!

My wife said Boz Scaggs is coming here and wants tickets. She never saw him before. Ā Yeah, I should say I raced the NHRA, Lol. Ā It's hard to see fine print without my glasses and they're downstairs so excuse my spelling. I need new ones as its been 10 years since my last eye appointment. Fremont huh? I moved from Council Bluffs when I married to Omaha. Scribner was our home race track. I was points leader there in Pro Gas.Ā 

6 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Back to the Grog.Ā  My significant other for about 20 years was Norwegian and her family had their own version of Grog that they made themselves.Ā  It was wine based but spiked with some other liquors like vodka and scotch.Ā  Also had a lot of fruit added (oranges, orange peel, apple etc.) and she mixed it in a big pot on the stove.Ā  The fruit was strained out and then it was bottled and aged for a while.Ā  Usually drunk hot, we used to take a thermos with us cross country skiing and have a warm drink on the trail.Ā  I never really liked it but had to keep my mouth shut and it was potent.Ā  So, I guess "Grog" can be many things to different cultures.

I remember growing up in MN consuming a ā€œgrogā€ beverage consisting of brandy and Peppermint Schnapps. Ā It was called Snowshoe and sold commercially. Ā There were many cold winter days that I kept a bottle in my pocket.

11 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I would need to have an overbearing desire to develop carpal tunnel syndrome in order for me to type out that list.Ā Ā [wink]

Whitefang

Yes. there are SO MANY things I can no longer do....luckily, I still have the means to hire people to do all the things I can no longer accomplish.

Speaking of which..... I just paid $40 to have my wife's car washed.... then a tip on top of that!Ā Ā Ā  I used to own 7 cars.... washed them all AT LEAST once a week!

23 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Ā I just paid $40 to have my wife's car washed

[omg]Ā $40??

For a CAR WASH?

Either there must have been some detailing included or you also think it came with the Brooklyn Bridge included.Ā Ā šŸ„“

The car wash just around the corner from me raised it's price to $5.99 and I thought THAT was outrageous.Ā 

Whitefang

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

[omg]Ā $40??

For a CAR WASH?

Either there must have been some detailing included or you also think it came with the Brooklyn Bridge included.Ā Ā šŸ„“

The car wash just around the corner from me raised it's price to $5.99 and I thought THAT was outrageous.Ā 

Whitefang

Yeah.... pretty expensive..... just a regular drive-through wash, (with wax included), then 3-4 guys detail it after....that's it!

Ah-HA!Ā  Ā I THOUGHT there had to be detailing involved.Ā Ā [cool]Ā  I wouldn't pay that much for a car wash.Ā  Unless of course, it was one of those roadside car washes set up by high school kids for charity.Ā  I don't mind the idea of four or five nubile high school girls in swimsuits or Daisy Dukes getting all soapy crawling all over my car.Ā Ā [wink]

Whitefang

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Ah-HA!Ā  Ā I THOUGHT there had to be detailing involved.Ā Ā [cool]Ā  I wouldn't pay that much for a car wash.Ā  Unless of course, it was one of those roadside car washes set up by high school kids for charity.Ā  I don't mind the idea of four or five nubile high school girls in swimsuits or Daisy Dukes getting all soapy crawling all over my car.Ā Ā [wink]

Whitefang

Yes, I might even pay that much for just Sexy topless women washing the car. Lol.Ā 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2023 at 6:12 PM, DanvillRob said:

You know, my wife and I have been showing grogs fir over 25 years. Ā  Ā  Weā€™re both judges.

I musta been drunk when I typed this..... I type VERY fast...just not very well!

Should have read:Ā Ā  "You know, my wife and I have been showing dogs for over 25 years. Ā  Ā  Weā€™re both judges."