Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson Harptone/TKL Redline Cases

Gibson29

I’m personally not that enthusiastic about these (‘42-J-45) cases, if I were to sell the case, what’s the price on these?  I’ve seen up to 700$, but that’s an insane price.  Some were Harptone, some TKL, can’t see any difference,  mine is from ‘23 so prob TKL.

Edited by Gibson29

• Gibson29 changed the title to New Gibson Harptone/TKL Redline Cases
1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

As far as I know both Harptone and Cedar Creek fall under the TKL Banner.  Fairbanks, among others, though ships in one of those two cases.  Not too shabby an endorsement.

Have you been able to have one of the new Redline cases that shipped with the recent iteration of Historics in hand?

1 minute ago, slimt said:

New Martin cases up here are 800.00 with a little oval brass martin  plaque .  

Yeah, weird the 500 series cases are as much as Ameritage in the USA, 450-500.  I have one that came with my 0-18, and it’s nice and all, but not 400 (+/-)more than a Guardian Vintage case I’ve had for a 00-17.

I understand that the new historic line is much more in the Great North as well.

I currently have two of the redline cases. The one that came with the J45 Legend left with the guitar. They're okay cases, nothing special in my opinion. The latches are a little difficult to operate. I think it's just a nostalgia thing. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

Have you been able to have one of the new Redline cases that shipped with the recent iteration of Historics in hand?

Nope.  Might be because I do not own any of the Historic Line guitars.  I do own a 1942 J50 but do not have a clue what case it might have originally gone home in.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Nope.  Might be because I do not own any of the Historic Line guitars.  I do own a 1942 J50 but do not have a clue what case it might have originally gone home in.

Well, if you get to handle one, let us know what you think, my opinion is they look really cool, seem protective, but the latches are K-Mart quality.

The Red Line cases were made by Geib.  I have seen plenty of them dating to the 1930s but none from the WWII period.   A while back there was a discussion about these cases and a well-respected  collector noted he had not run across any Gibson built after 1941 which came with a Red Line case.  But if I recall correctly the Red Line cases were available until at least 1943 so who knows.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Gibson29 said:

Well, if you get to handle one, let us know what you think, my opinion is they look really cool, seem protective, but the latches are K-Mart quality.

If modern cases have an Achilles Heel it is the hardware.  They don't make them like Eagle Lock did.  My oldest Gibson case is a Geib which came with my 1920 L3.  The lock, latches and hinges still function flawlessly.  Other than the straps from the body to the top the whole case is still in really nice condition.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The Red Line cases were made by Geib.  I have seen plenty of them dating to the 1930s but none from the WWII period.   A while back there was a discussion about these cases and a well-respected  collector noted he had not run across any Gibson built after 1941 which came with a Red Line case.  But if I recall correctly the Red Line cases were available until at least 1943 so who knows.

It appears the clasps are the same as the early models, which leads me to wonder wtf they were thinking.

But I am talking about the new reproduction cases.  They do look cool tho.

Anyone have an idea what sort of price is fair?   Keeping in mind the solid offer above!

5 hours ago, G Man said:

I'll give you three fiddy for the case.😁

1 hour ago, Holiday Hoser said:

300 on reverb

xqnlv4difmuhaphct0jz.jpg

Gibson offered three cases.  A plush and flannel lined hardshell case and a softshell.  I can't recall how many of those lower end faux alligator soft shell cases I have had.  But back in the day you had to pay extra for the case and they were not cheap.  If the shop was going to kick one in to seal a deal this is the one you would have got.  Still have the one my 1961 B45-12 came in.  In terms of holding up, I have always liked those early-1960s black tolex cases with the plush yellow lining and Gibson plaque instead of stenciled logo.  This is what the B45-12 currently resides in while the original soft shell is living in the road case in the basement.

Abut the hardest vintage case out there to find though is a hardshell for and LG1 or LG2.  Easy to figure out the reason.  At a time when you could snag an LG2 for around $100 you would have to kick in something a bit over $35 for even the mid-level flannel lined case. If you went up to the plush the cost rose to just over $40.  You could have bought a J45 without a case for this kind of scratch.   A soft shell case on the other hand would run you around $12.