Gibson Brands Forums

“Need” a hummingbird

solving

About 10 ago I was in a guitar store and had a SJ-200 True Vintage in one hand and a Hummingbird True Vintage in the other. I left the store with the SJ-200. Now I want  the Hummingbird as well. 

What models came after the TV models? 

I don’t want the stands models. I want the “red label” models. 

Any experienced owners that could help me sort out the models and if there’s any models to avoid or search a little extra for? 

Well, the "Vintage" came after the True Vintage. I believe the only difference was a 'baked' top.  Possibly different species of spruce.   I have orange labels of both - the H'bird TV and a standard SJ200 built a year of 2 before the TV line rolled out.  I've read that Bozeman had basically upgraded the standards to 'TV' specs and decided to take credit for it by carving them out as an upgrade and creating a different version for the standard.  They are obviously very different.  I would probably agree - If you can afford both  - you 'need' both !     If my house were on fire, I'd be standing there trying to figure which one to rescue as the three of us got 'baked tops'. 

I have three- the 1960 Historic is a wonderful, musical instrument that has it all.......the Hummingbird Original is a close second.......................the third is a standard  ( 10 years old)that I play

out with so if it gets banged up a bit I don't worry.........and still sounds fine and I use with a K&K pick up for live performance.....................if money is no issue either of the first two our great choices

On 5/16/2023 at 4:09 PM, solving said:

Now I want  the Hummingbird as well. 

Not hard to understand - they are mesmerizing guitars. 

On 5/17/2023 at 3:35 PM, fortyearspickn said:

Well, the "Vintage" came after the True Vintage. I believe the only difference was a 'baked' top.  

Let's not forget the slightly different tulips.

On 5/16/2023 at 4:09 PM, solving said:

What models came after the TV models? 

The Originals are Stds ? and the 1960's in line w. torrefried Vintage. The latter comes with and without fixed bridge - not ceramic saddle though, tusq.

Look forward to hear how it turns out.

Here is some Hummingbird info from a post by Father of Pearl 12 Jan 2-2017 (OP= JuanCH)

- In the 90’s and 2000’s there was just the Hummingbird, wich is pretty much the same as the current « Standard Hummingbird ».

- In the mid 2000’s, Gibson made some very limited runs of reissues like the « 1960s Hummingbird Reissue » with Tulip tuners, lighter back braces and engraved red pickguard (no adjustable bridge, no pickup).

- In 2007 they launched the True Vintage Line besides the Modern-Classic or Standard Line. The TV is basically the same guitar as the previous reissue but with a cali-girl case (brown-pink), lighter orangish sunburst, black-white-black rosette ring and binding.

- In 2009 they dressed up the True Vintage with a reddish sunburst, white-black-white rosette ring and a VOS finish which emulates an aged patina. (at the same time, they made custom editions for Wildwood Guitars, called « New Vintage » which only differs by aged bone nut and saddle, white-black-white trim binding, and shinny gloss finish)

- The True Vintage line ended in late 2012, coming back every now and then as limited custom shop runs.

- In late 2015 they started the « 2016 Hummingbird Vintage » as a standard production line. That one is basically the very same as the latest True Vintage but with the white-black-white trim on the top and back binding, aged tulip tuners, and most of all, the Torrified Top.

- Only Sitka spruce has been used on all True vintage or Vintage Hummingbirds. Some custom shop limited runs of Hummingbirds have Adirondack Spruce top but they’re not part of the TV or Vintage family.

On 5/16/2023 at 10:09 AM, solving said:

I don’t want the stands models. I want the “red label” models. 

It would be crazy to dismiss the possibility of what might be a perfect match for what you're looking for just because the label isn't the right color. One of the best Hummingbirds I ever owned was a Standard. Play many. Happy Hunting.

Edited by 62burst

53 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Here is some Hummingbird info from a post by Father of Pearl 12 Jan 2-2017 (OP= JuanCH)

- In the 90’s and 2000’s there was just the Hummingbird, wich is pretty much the same as the current « Standard Hummingbird ».

- In the mid 2000’s, Gibson made some very limited runs of reissues like the « 1960s Hummingbird Reissue » with Tulip tuners, lighter back braces and engraved red pickguard (no adjustable bridge, no pickup).

- In 2007 they launched the True Vintage Line besides the Modern-Classic or Standard Line. The TV is basically the same guitar as the previous reissue but with a cali-girl case (brown-pink), lighter orangish sunburst, black-white-black rosette ring and binding.

- In 2009 they dressed up the True Vintage with a reddish sunburst, white-black-white rosette ring and a VOS finish which emulates an aged patina. (at the same time, they made custom editions for Wildwood Guitars, called « New Vintage » which only differs by aged bone nut and saddle, white-black-white trim binding, and shinny gloss finish)

- The True Vintage line ended in late 2012, coming back every now and then as limited custom shop runs.

- In late 2015 they started the « 2016 Hummingbird Vintage » as a standard production line. That one is basically the very same as the latest True Vintage but with the white-black-white trim on the top and back binding, aged tulip tuners, and most of all, the Torrified Top.

- Only Sitka spruce has been used on all True vintage or Vintage Hummingbirds. Some custom shop limited runs of Hummingbirds have Adirondack Spruce top but they’re not part of the TV or Vintage family.

It would be crazy to dismiss the possibility of what might be a perfect match for what you're looking for just because the label isn't the right color. One of the best Hummingbirds I ever owned was a Standard. Play many. Happy Hunting.

Oh good old father of pearl - whom I was once banned for calling father. He and I had so much fun ping-ponging about glaze we simply got a room. 😅, , ,😆. .
Hope he still hangs out somewhere on planet. The guy really had the Hummingbird spirit/knowledge, , , but in the lines above seems to have forgotten the 167 from 2008, which came with 167 200s and TV J-45s as well. The TV Birds from that batch were also white-black-white rosette fliers and lived in black cases with buttercup-yellow plush - extra protected by a brown canvas zipper coat. All three had a special certifikat. A kool also black small leather 'book' featuring facts, serial # and an autograph.

I actually had one of these - but my 2012s rose above it. 

I have a 2016 Hummingbird Vintage. It has an Orange Label.

Think the True Vintages had the Custom Shop Logo decal on the back of the headstock where the head joins the neck but it too had an Orange Label if I recall.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hype said:

I have a 2016 Hummingbird Vintage. It has an Orange Label.

Think the True Vintages had the Custom Shop Logo decal on the back of the headstock where the head joins the neck but it too had an Orange Label if I recall.

Neither of my 3 TVs had the decal 🦊 but my F-bird has.

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Neither of my 3 TVs had the decal 🦊 but my F-bird has.

Here’s the thing though, there is a “Custom Shop True Vintage” (with the decal) and then there is the “True Vintage” (without). Go figure..

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 7:33 PM, E-minor7 said:

Oh good old father of pearl - whom I was once banned for calling father. He and I had so much fun ping-ponging about glaze we simply got a room. 😅, , ,😆. .

There's a picture that'll be stuck in my head all day...

• Haha 1

I have owned the Standard, the TV, the Vintage, the Sheryl Crow Country Western, and a 60s reissue with and adjustable saddle. I think I liked the Crow and the Vintage the best, but all were stellar.

the one with the adjustable saddle was a 2018 or 19 model, and while not as loud still had a pleasing Bird tone probably most similar to Hillbilly Stones Bird tone. Think Sweet Virginia.

one day when things calm down I may again fly a Bird.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Murph said:

There's a picture that'll be stuck in my head all day...

😁 That was in fact the intention. . 

9 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

I have owned the Standard, the TV, the Vintage, the Sheryl Crow Country Western, and a 60s reissue with and adjustable saddle. I think I liked the Crow and the Vintage the best, but all were stellar.

the one with the adjustable saddle was a 2018 or 19 model, and while not as loud still had a pleasing Bird tone probably most similar to Hillbilly Stones Bird tone. Think Sweet Virginia.

one day when things calm down I may again fly a Bird.

Yes, you were there for sure - and interesting to follow it was.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      But talking about the continuous square fascination that never really flew, I still wonder why you never took the advice about the Dove.                      

8 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I'd settle for things just Calming Up ...

😅

15 hours ago, Hype said:

Here’s the thing though, there is a “Custom Shop True Vintage” (with the decal) and then there is the “True Vintage” (without). Go figure..

You are right and here it is.
https://reverb.com/item/2666758-rare-gibson-hummingbird-custom-shop-true-vintage-limited-50-guitars-worldwide

Don't see it differ from the True Vintage in anything else than, , , the decal !

Okay, this one has a black-ring-rosette, but so has one of my 2012 TVs. 

I was going to write  "$2,500 !   It'll sell fast."  Then saw it already had!   I'm guessing the Custom Shop and limited quantity of 50 is the clue.  Some Five Star Dealer wanted to get a batch of these to market as 'rare'  IE. Limited Edition, and only made a minor tweak - maybe the rosette like you noted.     

"If you've seen one Gibson, you've seen one Gibson." 

I have one of the 1:48 (I think) historic birds from 05 or 06 and it’s my favorite bird. Long scale probably has something to do with it but back then it was the only subdued burst bird I had ever seen and I still think it’s my favorite sounding one. Haven’t played any of the torrified ones though but I am hoping to someday. 

• Like 1