Gibson Brands Forums

Meet Up At The Movies

Sgt. Pepper

I got a ticket to see a live Dead concert from 6/22/91 from Solder Field in a super nice movie theater in Myrtle Beach next month. There doing it at select places.

https://www.cinemark.com/movies/grateful-dead-meet-up-at-the-movies-2023?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_tOxmoSR_wIVI_bjBx09WA0GEAAYASAAEgL5CfD_BwE

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 minutes ago, Karloff said:

hope you enjoy it. hope Garcia was in acceptable form for that show. he was fairly hit or miss from the 80's on. more miss than hit ...  which was a shame. 

I saw them 14 times. Saw only one or two so so shows. I’m sure if their putting it in the theater it’s not a stinker.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

44 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw them 14 times. Saw only one or two so so shows. I’m sure if their putting it in the theater it’s not a stinker.

I'd seen them since the early / mid 70's. Some people felt they were never the same after Pig left (myself included). by the early 80's they just never seemed to rise to the occasion. but thats just my opinion & you know what they say about opinions ...

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

I'd seen them since the early / mid 70's. Some people felt they were never the same after Pig left (myself included). by the early 80's they just never seemed to rise to the occasion. but thats just my opinion & you know what they say about opinions ...

I am not a fan of Piggy’s voice. On the great Europe 72, Keith was smashing the keys, and Ron was sadly not going to be in the band much longer.

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

BUT,  thats probably going to be enjoyable. I was reading about the show from the link you posted. say's its the best from that tour or from the Bruce / Welnick shows ...

I only saw Welnick in the Dead one time. All the others Mydland was in that seat.

I didn't see them in '91. I was living in Japan most of that year. The last time I saw them was '94. I saw the JBG that year too. 

Then it was all over in '95. Never saw Weir (except on stage next to Jerry and Phil) or Dead And Co. My first Dead show was '85. Once Touch Of Grey came out. All of a sudden it was cool to be a 16 year old girl and to stop bathing and go see music you never cared about before. The scene was chocking on its own vomit then. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I'm blocked from seeing that link.

Its a great idea though. I also think it would be great to just have a show played back at a venue at the volume it used to be. It wouldn't even matter if there was no movie to watch. 

Here's the add. I read recently some huge GD fan made small replica of the Dead's legendary Wall Of Sound speaker system in a old abandoned church.  Never understood the fascination the girls had with just twirling in a circles all night at a Dead show.

eb6dnj8.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I dunno....

I've seen Hendrix live three times, but for some reason none of the film footage of him live I've seen showed him sounding and playing as good as he was when I saw him. 

Whitefang

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I always really liked the DEAD Movie. I still watch it. was a great series of shows from '74. 

the thing I always loved about the Pigpen years, Garcia played with more fire. he hadn't entered the noodling stage yet. 

5 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I always really liked the DEAD Movie. I still watch it. was a great series of shows from '74. 

the thing I always loved about the Pigpen years, Garcia played with more fire. he hadn't entered the noodling stage yet. 

I have the DVD of it and the Closing Of Winterland. 

• Like 1

A slight aside here.....

Watching a marathon of "3rd Rock From The Sun" reruns, the aliens (John Lithgow,  Kriten Johnston, French Stewart, Joseph Gordon-Levitt), trying to learn more of Earthling history, find a box of old Christmas stuff in the basement of the house in which they're renting the upper flat in, and first figure a string of old bulbs would make the place look "psychedelic", and Lithgow pulls an old Santa Claus figurine out of the box, a chubby man in a red suit and a big, bushy white beard and asked, "Who is that?"  and Gordon-Levitt says, "I think it's Jerry Garcia!"  😄

OK.  back to the relevant discussion.

Whitefang

• Haha 1

Just now, Whitefang said:

A slight aside here.....

Watching a marathon of "3rd Rock From The Sun" reruns, the aliens (John Lithgow,  Kriten Johnston, French Stewart, Joseph Gordon-Levitt), trying to learn more of Earthling history, find a box of old Christmas stuff in the basement of the house in which they're renting the upper flat in, and first figure a string of old bulbs would make the place look "psychedelic", and Lithgow pulls an old Santa Claus figurine out of the box, a chubby man in a red suit and a big, bushy white beard and asked, "Who is that?"  and Gordon-Levitt says, "I think it's Jerry Garcia!"  😄

OK.  back to the relevant discussion.

Whitefang

lol !

12 minutes ago, Karloff said:

What about in the 60's and 70's with Piggy in the band, and the Dead would play Dark Star for about 4 days straight with no water break?

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What about in the 60's and 70's with Piggy in the band, and the Dead would play Dark Star for about 4 days straight with no water break?

it was a different "noodling".  I liked his tone better in the late 60's. an SG through a Fender Twin.  but again, just my opinion.  I certainly saw some great shows where he sounded great with Wolf or his Travis Bean guitar ... 

15 minutes ago, Karloff said:

it was a different "noodling".  I liked his tone better in the late 60's. an SG through a Fender Twin.  but again, just my opinion.  I certainly saw some great shows where he sounded great with Wolf or his Travis Bean guitar ... 

When I saw him he was playing the custom made Rosebud or Tiger. I have the wolf and alligator stickers on my guitar cases.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

A slight aside here.....

Watching a marathon of "3rd Rock From The Sun" reruns, the aliens (John Lithgow,  Kriten Johnston, French Stewart, Joseph Gordon-Levitt), trying to learn more of Earthling history, find a box of old Christmas stuff in the basement of the house in which they're renting the upper flat in, and first figure a string of old bulbs would make the place look "psychedelic", and Lithgow pulls an old Santa Claus figurine out of the box, a chubby man in a red suit and a big, bushy white beard and asked, "Who is that?"  and Gordon-Levitt says, "I think it's Jerry Garcia!"  

Phil Lesh said "the Grateful Dead is Santa Claus"

(context: the Rexx Foundation: the charitable arm of the band)

So anyway...  was it Jerry?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdCouobgYiZ8UVQ3P2HD4

Edited by merciful-evans