Gibson Brands Forums

Extremely well sounding 1946 Southerner Jumbo

E-minor7

Okay, it has been fixed here 'n' there, no problem. This is the real deal and a wonder-ex.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Maybe even a bit overpowering, but wait till the strings fall into place. Mister Punt & Co should record it again then.

Wonder what kind of strings we hear.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Yeps it is, but in all respect - it's too expensive. One could find just as fine sounders/lookers for half the dough. 

Or they could have me demo that guitar and have the value drop low enough where we can afford it.

I still remember buying the exact guitar Greg Koch demo'd. I never could get that same sound out of it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

Or they could have me demo that guitar and have the value drop low enough where we can afford it.

I still remember buying the exact guitar Greg Koch demo'd. I never could get that same sound out of it.

No one can copy Koch - he plays double speed, , , , and actually sometimes chokes the acou-tone. 

G. K. could remind me of the bulky guy in Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. Very strong and so fond of small soft creatures that he unknowingly presses life out of them. . 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Em7   -  Yep,   would love to hear with older strings.  I'd guess a more clear, pronounce  Gibson "Thump" on the  5th and 6th strings.   I agree with what you sort of suggested  there are certainly guitars more affordable, made in this century,  that sound as good - at least to an untrained ear like mine. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

No one can copy Koch - he plays double speed, , , , and actually sometimes chokes the acou-tone. 

G. K. could remind me of the bulky guy in Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. Very strong and so fond of small soft creatures that he unknowingly presses life out of them. . 

Yep, that’s Greg.  Huge player, but not a nuanced acoustic guy, but I could still listen to the guy play an acoustic all day.

54 minutes ago, Gibson29 said:

Yep, that’s Greg.  Huge player, but not a nuanced acoustic guy, but I could still listen to the guy play an acoustic all day.

A virtuoso, no doubt. Actually once passed him at a big guitar-festival/fair over here in Europe. Can't recall if I tipped the hat, , , probably. . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Em7   -  Yep,   would love to hear with older strings.  I'd guess a more clear, pronounce  Gibson "Thump" on the  5th and 6th strings.   I agree with what you sort of suggested  there are certainly guitars more affordable, made in this century,  that sound as good - at least to an untrained ear like mine. 

The stings btw. are the good'n'reliable D'Addario EJ-16s > Ph. B. 12-53 Lights.