Gibson Brands Forums

4 Aces of Swing

E-minor7

They are on fire and surely lay it all on the table. Is it too much, , , too show offish Not really certain, but they definitely know what they're doin' and are worth a listen.

Notice the steel-string trebs are rolled off and only come to surface during some of the intense soloing. There's almost a silk'n'steel-feel to the overall sound - meaning the step before catstrings.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Okay fine ^ 

Yes, had to look at the strings to believe it wasn't butter. Especially the all-hog or koa 000. Good to see several  acoustic food groups represented. 

The last minute was a bit like some of the groups who had multiple guitars doing the same overlapping leads. Must've been a definite workout on an acoustic.

7 hours ago, 62burst said:

Yes, had to look at the strings to believe it wasn't butter. Especially the all-hog or koa 000. Good to see several  acoustic food groups represented. 

The last minute was a bit like some of the groups who had multiple guitars doing the same overlapping leads. Must've been a definite workout on an acoustic.

Those guys sure passed the 10.000 hour mark, , , if you allow that term in the context. 

We might be listening to 100.000 hours here. It's fair to set up an extra video for their achievement - 

Definitely some superlative technical skills on display.  This kind of playing for whatever reason just does not hold my interest for long.  But it does tend to get me running to put some Martin, Bogan and Armstong or Lonnie Johnson and Blind Willie Dunn (Eddie Lang) duets on the turntable. 

Edited by zombywoof

12 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I admire and respect their talent and hard work to get to that level of proficiency. 

But I can’t listen that fast. 

Hahe, , , don't forget the Tube channel speed-function. Just go for the cogwheel symbol. ⚙️ Then choose 0.25. 

9 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Definitely some superlative technical skills on display.  This kind of playing for whatever reason just does not hold my interest for long.  But it does tend to get me running to put some Martin, Bogan and Armstong or Lonnie Johnson and Blind Willie Dunn (Eddie Lang) duets on the turntable. 

This style'n'approach CAN get quite exhausting - but you were young enough to step out of the box, hopefully all 4:47. Not unhealthy for me either. . 

14 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

This style'n'approach CAN get quite exhausting - but you were young enough to step out of the box, hopefully all 4:47. Not unhealthy for me either. . 

A big part of it is I am nor have ever been a fan of all-instrumental shows.  The only artist who was totally instrumental who I have ever been able to sit though for an entire show has been Eric Schoenberg back when he was making the rounds of the coffee houses.  I would watch his fingers playing those rags and could not help but think they were doing things no mere mortal could achieve.  And I do love Richard Thompson's all- instrumental recording of reels, jigs and breakdowns.    But I think the difference may that both were playing styles which were originally written as instrumentals.  So, there never were words.

11 hours ago, zombywoof said:

And I do love Richard Thompson's all- instrumental recording of reels, jigs and breakdowns.    

That sounds like a pretty serious case of full-blooded folk-music.

I can listen to instrumental music and have fx owned and enjoyed a Renbourn-Grossman LP since the late 70s. Pat Metheny's One Quiet Night also lives here. It's an album where he plays own pieces and other's songs on his Linda Manzer-built baritone guitar. The fact he included Gerry Marsden's Ferry Cross The Mersey was as fascinating as surprising. 

Think the entire record was recorded over one night.