Gibson Brands Forums

my guitar is faker?

peter J

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

just my opinion - Unless it's the blurriness of the pictures, it looks fake. The doves should show more details. They look more like turtles. Again, maybe it's the quality of the pictures. Here's some pics of mine showing details. That first fret, 15th and 17th is really telling.

Gibson DIF

DIF 2

two years ago,i sent the picture to the gibson,they said this is a indeed 2014 doves in fight model . now my problem is the back pattern,it is different with others,i upload a video in the facebook, how is the sound sounds?

12 hours ago, Dave F said:

just my opinion - Unless it's the blurriness of the pictures, it looks fake. The doves should show more details. They look more like turtles. Again, maybe it's the quality of the pictures. Here's some pics of mine showing details. That first fret, 15th and 17th is really telling.

Gibson DIF

DIF 2

DIF 2

Stunning!

Dave, I'd say Compared to Peter J's photos, Matthew Brady's place in history is safe!

Ren's initials are still on your pickguard......so I don't think Peter's question is about that.

So you have a natural top and red stained maple back & sides.... Peter has an all black DIF.... I have a natural top and natural maple back & sides....guess it's all in our personal preference!

59 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Stunning!

Dave, I'd say Compared to Peter J's photos, Matthew Brady's place in history is safe!

Ren's initials are still on your pickguard......so I don't think Peter's question is about that.

So you have a natural top and red stained maple back & sides.... Peter has an all black DIF.... I have a natural top and natural maple back & sides....guess it's all in our personal preference!

So,  what's the final judgement -   Real or Memorex?   Is  peter J's a faker ?

Here’s a black doves in flight from 2014 for comparison:

https://reverb.com/item/61144619-2014-gibson-doves-in-flight

The back strip on Peter’s is too blurry to make a judgment alone , but if you look at the doves on the headstock they look similar  to  the ones  Peter’s has.

Don Ruffato at Gibson has mentioned that each one of those doves was hand done and so they will not all be exactly the same .

JC

1 hour ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

The back strip on Peter’s is too blurry to make a judgment alone , but if you look at the doves on the headstock they look similar  to  the ones  Peter’s has.

Don Ruffato at Gibson has mentioned that each one of those doves was hand done and so they will not all be exactly the same .

JC

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0rXYZu7bJeUpRDECm46nGek4mVjrN1V3RHMSePNKyQTtLVtDjQkiuoZUaHtsgaTG2l&id=61550784387634&mibextid=Nif5oz

there are some photos mine,clearly back strip in there.only my problem now is about that.i never saw the same back strip like it.

PJ.

Maybe it is just a fig newton of my imagination but it appears Gibson buyers today have a tendency to be overly suspicious that what they have acquired is somehow not kosher.  The difference between now and then just might be access to too much information.  But while Gibsons are not what I would call hand built there is enough hand finishing to result in a bit of quirkiness and yeah, possibly some imperfections. Maybe I am just a bit odd but I find this stuff kind of endearing.  Gives the guitars an individuality rather than the flip side of the coin which is a precision cookie cutter instrument.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zombywoof said:

Maybe it is just a fig newton of my imagination but it appears Gibson buyers today have a tendency to be overly suspicious that what they have acquired is somehow not kosher.  The difference between now and then just might be access to too much information.  But while Gibsons are not what I would call hand built there is enough hand finishing to result in a bit of quirkiness and yeah, possibly some imperfections. Maybe I am just a bit odd but I find this stuff kind of endearing.  Gives the guitars an individuality rather than the flip side of the coin which is a precision cookie cutter instrument.

ZWolf....you're right.... it's the same difference as between a photo and a painting.... small imperfections make paintings 'art'.

Since I worked in manufacturing all my career, I recognize how many products are 'production-made', but still have a lot of 'hand-fitting'.

8 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

JC

awesome guitar but 7 grand? lol

23 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Couldn't agree more !   Glue Drops Be Damned, Full Speed Ahead !  

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 3:45 PM, DanvillRob said:

I'd like to see a pic of the guitar just 'cause I like looking at them!

That's the Forum spirit 🔥

• Haha 1

I'm late to this party, but it seems to me that one of the most important criterion for a MUSICAL INSTRUMENT would be the quality of the sound it produces.

And if this particular guitar was not a genuine Gibson, shouldn't that be very apparent just by playing it?

RBSinTo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

I'm late to this party, but it seems to me that one of the most important criterion for a MUSICAL INSTRUMENT would be the quality of the sound it produces.

And if this particular guitar was not a genuine Gibson, shouldn't that be very apparent just by playing it?

RBSinTo

https://www.facebook.com/stories/122096974160026146/UzpfSVNDOjY3ODU3OTEwNzE4MDE2Nw==/?view_single=1&source=shared_permalink&mibextid=Nif5oz