Gibson Brands Forums

Any love for the current Les Paul Specials?

sbpark

Picked this one up locally for a great price. Happened on a whim, and wasn't even in the market. Was browsing local listings late one night and came across this 2021 LP Special. I shot off an offer and was surprised when I woke up the next morning and the seller had accepted, so I drove out later that day and checked it out. Guitar is nearly flawless, with some very minor wear on the bridge. It's hard to show in pictures, but the color is more subdued and less bright yellow, and a little more subdued in person. Neck is perfect, has a really dark rosewood board,  relief was perfect and action right where I like it, frets have no wear and are in fantastic shape (props to the factory PLEK because this one is REALLY nice and needs ZERO fret work). It's a super chunky baseball bat neck measuring 0.92" at the first fret and 1.03" at the 12th fret. Despite it being such a big neck, it's really smooth and fast playing. 

P-90's sound great after raising them up a bit. Only thing I had to do was break out the nut files because it seemed like nobody every addressed the nut from the factory. Had super high nut slots, and after some quick work with the files the guitar plays effortlessly and feels great. Only other issue I had after restringing it and fine-tuning/adjusting the bridge was the intonation was still off on a couple strings; D and G strings are off (D is flat and G is sharp). Thinking about ordering a Music City Bridge and locking studs, but overall for what I paid this is a FANTASTIC guitar. I'm not sure I'd pay the $1,799 that these retail for, but for $900 this was a steal.

q8hReL3h.jpg

4lVPsVxh.jpg

W4C73ndh.jpg

Edited by sbpark

• sbpark changed the title to Any love for the current Les Paul Specials?

Congrats.. Lovely looking guitar AND you have neck binding which is nice. Great price... Thats like a price you would have paid like a decade ago for a new one.

Specials are great stripped down guitars..  A lot of love for them..  I had a double cut special which are amazing guitars and they were £650 brand new at the time (like 2009). Theres something just right about a slab body like that. And P90s absolutely rock. Some people dont like them but I have always been a fan..  Darker distorted sound than a humbucker but also really nice cleans too.

Happy playing 👍

• 2 weeks later...