Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 57 Custom Shop Goldtop

bigtim

Hello everyone, it has been a long time since I have been around this forum. I hope all of you are doing well. 

I do not know where to begin on this other than, I went by guitar center in Nashville to see if they happened to have a particular Ibanez bass. 

They didn't have one so we, my wife and I,  walked around a bit and it was the first time I saw the room set aside for the custom series guitars and amps. It has been a long time since I have been to this particular guitar center and I must say...even though a guitar center store can be hit or miss..this one has got their stuff together....great staff and customer service....and if you go to this store, the guys name who was working inside of the Platinum Room name is Cole. Cole could not have been a more polite and helpful person to deal with. Just a great person.....period.

Anyways, I cannot say anything other than.....this guitar sounds and plays BETTER  than any other guitar I have owned, better than any other guitar I have played and better than any other Gibson custom guitar I have owned or played. 

Not gonna go into all of what this thing did to me other than....it was like opening up a door to a part of my life I did not know had existed....almost spiritual......I have no other words to express about it....so I bought it.

When I plugged it in....this guitars sound was exactly like Clapton in Cream, The Original Fleetwood Mac when Peter  Green was with them along with Billy Gibbon's Brown Sugar.

I played it through a couple of Friedman amps....not sure of the models.....but it was more of the guitar than the amp that had the sound as it sounded the same when I got home and plugged it into my own Mesa Boogie.

This guitar will definitely be my main squeeze period. 

Anyways, I hope the pic link works correctly!!

2023 Gibson Custom Shop 1957 M2M Les Paul Standard Reissue Double Gold https://imgur.com/a/NfyRgf6

Edited by bigtim

36 minutes ago, saturn said:

Welcome back. Congratz on the R7.

The story is actually very similar to the story of how my R7 was originally purchased before I owned it. 

Thank you and please share what happened

And why did they part with it??

Edited by bigtim

4 minutes ago, bigtim said:

Thank you and please share what happened

And why did they part with it??

I've posted several times the story of how I got it after my friend Ed died. But originally he called me one day, back in 2011, and said he was going to GC to maybe buy this new Epiphone LP and did I want to go with him. He was more of a drummer, but could play guitar and bass too. So we went to GC but didn't think much of the Epi. We started testing other guitars but nothing was impressing us.  Then we went into that room you are talking about and they had one of the new Robot Guitar LPs. Tried that and it was nothing spectacular. Then just as we were about to give up and leave, he grabbed this Custom Shop 1957 Reissue and began playing on it. He immediately loved it and we plugged it into a Kustom tube amp. There was another dude in there too and we all sat taking turns playing this guitar and loving it. Although he didn't originally plan on spending that much, he went ahead and bought it. He was drummer in our band, but he would often bring that guitar to gigs for me to play. So when he tragically died one night as we were all jamming, his family told us to take what we wanted of his music gear, which he had plenty of.  So I made sure that Gold Top went with me and have it to this day.

This is him holding it the night we brought it home.

W659Am1.jpg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, saturn said:

I've posted several times the story of how I got it after my friend Ed died. But originally he called me one day, back in 2011, and said he was going to GC to maybe buy this new Epiphone LP and did I want to go with him. He was more of a drummer, but could play guitar and bass too. So we went to GC but didn't think much of the Epi. We started testing other guitars but nothing was impressing us.  Then we went into that room you are talking about and they had one of the new Robot Guitar LPs. Tried that and it was nothing spectacular. Then just as we were about to give up and leave, he grabbed this Custom Shop 1957 Reissue and began playing on it. He immediately loved it and we plugged it into a Kustom tube amp. There was another dude in there too and we all sat taking turns playing this guitar and loving it. Although he didn't originally plan on spending that much, he went ahead and bought it. He was drummer in our band, but he would often bring that guitar to gigs for me to play. So when he tragically died one night as we were all jamming, his family told us to take what we wanted of his music gear, which he had plenty of.  So I made sure that Gold Top went with me and have it to this day.

This is him holding it the night we brought it home.

W659Am1.jpg

Man i am so sorry about your friend. That is terrible ..I hate to hear that. 

But you know....the same thing was happening yesterday...in that room.....there was a kick a$$ player in there up here on vacation...really killer licks.....so I asked him to play it so I could get another perspective.....then we jammed swapping licks on it back and forth between a fat neck 61 sg reissue and this gold top....the gold top won hands down. 

I wasn't even going to make a purchase.....no kidding!!

But I am extremely glad I did.

I sold off my  81 custom 20 years ago...it was a mistake...a big mistake too.

But this new R7 has put that missing part of me back in place. 

That other player and I exchanged numbers and we have been in contact with each other....dang he has some great licks and is a super nice fellow. 

Another cool cat that was in there as well used to play for Eddie Raven....real nice guy too. 

It was probably the best time I ever had inside of a guitar store. 

And as far as your 57 reissue goes....I know it will always be especially special to you because you were with your friend when he bought it and very nice of his wife to offer his stuff. 

I bought a pre owned 2003 taylor 810ce last week.

My heart went out to this man. He had some kind of autoimmune disease and has some kind of blood cancer. 

He is slowly selling off if his gear. He could not be near me due to his condition...but he was kind and hospitable to me and set up a stool and acoustic amp for me to try out the taylor in his garage. 

He told me his wife recently said when he passes away...what am I going to do with all of his guitars......when I heard that, I got to admit, I got all tore up...it got to me...my heart went out to him.....but he was all cool and like...hey I am still here and I do not feel that bad......I hope he is OK. I thought about reaching out to him to say hello.....and he is a super nice fellow too. 

If it were possible, could you post a pic on here of the back of your R7 and a few pics of your fretboard?

I would appreciate it. 

Edited by bigtim

13 minutes ago, bigtim said:

If it were possible, could you post a pic on here of the back of your R7 and a few pics of your fretboard?

I would appreciate it. 

I'll have to take those photos you ask for, but can't get to it right now. I'll get them maybe tomorrow. Meanwhile, here is a close up of headstock with custom TRC that I had made too. Oh and a cicada on there too. That was at a gig during the 17 year brood.

ZOgqkxe.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, saturn said:

I'll have to take those photos you ask for, but can't get to it right now. I'll get them maybe tomorrow. Meanwhile, here is a close up of headstock with custom TRC that I had made too. Oh and a cicada on there too. That was at a gig during the 17 year brood.

ZOgqkxe.jpg

"a rare and different tune ..."

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Not much of a story behind it but I always wanted a Gold Top with P90s.

When they came out in 2019 I had to get one.

I know what you mean by "that sound".  As soon as I plugged it I went, "so THAT'S what was making the sound  on all of those records"!

nLXgugx.jpg

It looks great!

I never had a p90 guitar but thise puppies sound awesome. 

Back in 1992 I went to a guitar store in Houston TX. There was a les paul Jr double cut on the wall. Single p90. I think it was a 1960 or 1961. It was only 450.00. I wish I bought it because I did not know what the market was going to do. I played it though and it sounded great. I am still kicking myself in the butt for not taking it

• Like 1

Here are the pics you requested. The rectangle thing on the back is what I think a I-Phone  screen protector. I can only guess that he put that on to protect from belt buckle. Also notice there ARE  Nibs on the binding. I don't really care either way, but will admit if I'm not careful, when playing around the 3rd fret, the skinny E string will occasionally slip over the side of the fretboard and get stuck. 

K3HXzl2.jpg

bV1IwIq.jpg

Edited by saturn
correct mistake
  • Like 2

Thanks for the pics. It seems as though your fretboard is darker as well. I really like that. Mine seems to be similar and the back of mine is like yours. 

I called gibson today. 

Since the color is double gold and is a high gloss model it turns out mine is a made to measure pre ordered to gibson in a small run of high gloss and bright nickle hardware. The only difference between what I have compared to a VOS is the gloss finish and polished hardware.....go figure!!!

It is funny because the dull hardware and not polishing the finish raises the msrp 500 bucks!!

They wanted a run of reissues to look exactly like a brand new one would have in a store back in 57

I am very pleased with mine and yours looks great too!!