Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood, Mahogany or Maple? Why?

Larsongs

The only maple guitars I have had and played extensively were all old archtops - though one of them, an early '30s roundhole L-4, was an amazing instrument!  It had the low end "whomp" of a mahogany jumbo, the chop of an archtop, and a little something else - it seemed to sustain longer than the f-hole acoustics did.

I LOVE good rosewood - on a good classical guitar.  The Kremona Fiesta FS I had (Carpathian mountain spruce, East Indian rosewood back and sides) was both shockingly light and astoundingly loud, yet capable of all sorts of sounds.  It was a wonderful instrument that I could sing with, even, but in the end I found myself rarely reaching for it, because I have a J-45 I simply love better.

The rosewood Taylor 815C I had for a dozen years was frustrating.  It was the 17-in Super Jumbo body shape with a long scale, so I had to really work it to drive the top.  It sounded ... nice.  Not astounding, but nice enough.  But I never bonded with it, because for some reason or another I had a hard time finding where to place my voice while playing it.  There were lots of nice overtones, which if the styles of music I play called for them would have been lovely.  But I was still dissatisfied.

In the end, I am a mahogany kinda guy.  I played a variety of mahogany bodied Guilds through the years, and just preferred their quicker decay and more fundamental tonal center.  Combined with a Gibson's slightly arched top, though, and there's the midrange boost I am looking for.  Oddly enough, I sing better with my voice folded INTO a mahogany bodied Gibson, rather than my voice falling into the pocket of any other guitar with the scooped mids.

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Not sure what you mean by tighter? But, my D-35 is 48 years old & has aged gracefully & has developed a beautiful Sound.. If I get another Martin I will have to go up to at least a D-41 to get something that might sound better.. If I could bring myself to sell a few Guitars I would get a D-45 or a  new Pre War J-200 which were originally Spruce and Rosewood if I’m not mistaken..

Well, if the logic is that heavier bracing holds back the vibrations due to weight, the term tighter might make sense. The lighter fx scalloped structures free up the board - it loosens. 

Pretty big difference between the 2  models in your binoculars. But yes, I also recall the PW as rose. The majestic 45 obviously is. 

8 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Well, if the logic is that heavier bracing holds back the vibrations due to weight, the term tighter might make sense. The lighter fx scalloped structures free up the board - it loosens. 

Pretty big difference between the 2  models in your binoculars. But yes, I also recall the PW as rose. The majestic 45 obviously is. 

I have never been good at describing the Sound of a Guitar. I think you said it well. I do believe time improves Sound. Something to do with the aging process.. Although, I’m not quite sure what it is? I do know that if I play several new D-35’s they will sound really good.. My 48 year old D-35 has better tone, volume, richness, timbre & the sound of each note is much like a Grand Piano.. 

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I have never been good at describing the Sound of a Guitar. I think you said it well. I do believe time improves Sound. Something to do with the aging process.. Although, I’m not quite sure what it is? I do know that if I play several new D-35’s they will sound really good.. My 48 year old D-35 has better tone, volume, richness, timbre & the sound of each note is much like a Grand Piano.. 

I follow that - my 39 years old D-35 sounds terrific. 

7 hours ago, Larsongs said:

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I follow that - my 39 years old D-35 sounds terrific. 

As does my 49 year old D-28.

RBSinTo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve been playing quite a few different Acoustic Guitars lately. There are so many good Guitars today! But, it seems they start getting really good at the $2995.00 Price point.. Whether Mahogany, Rosewood, Maple or other Woods..

Unless you don’t mind Satin finish.. Unfortunately I’m not a fan.. I had a Guild D-40E briefly that was excellent but I didn’t like the Satin finish.. I know, it’s about how it sounds but for me it’s also how it looks.. Especially if I’m plunking out $2000.00 or more..

The SJ-200’s (Maple) are beauties, as are D-45’s (Rosewood).. They sound great & sound different from my other Gibson & Martins. Different Sound being the deciding factor. I guess the worst thing about trying out lots of Guitars is finding out what you really want. LOL!! Then trying to figure out how to pay for them! LOL! 

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2023 at 10:51 AM, rustystrings said:

I played a variety of mahogany bodied Guilds through the years, and just preferred their quicker decay and more fundamental tonal center. 

I just picked up a hog-backed jumbo Guild 12-string (F-212XL).  I've already got a rosewood backed jumbo Guild F-512 and a jumbo Guild braceless arched lam maple backed JF30-12.

The new F212XL really surprised me.  It is a monster of a sound maker, oddly like my JF30-12.  The F512 rosewood is a bit more refined and not shouting it out from the rafters like the other two.   Still, all keepers.

ad01.jpg
F-212XL

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Cougar said:

I just picked up a hog-backed jumbo Guild 12-string (F-212XL).  I've already got a rosewood backed jumbo Guild F-512 and a jumbo Guild braceless arched lam maple backed JF30-12.

The new F212XL really surprised me.  It is a monster of a sound maker, oddly like my JF30-12.  The F512 rosewood is a bit more refined and not shouting it out from the rafters like the other two.   Still, all keepers.

ad01.jpg
F-212XL

Congratulations ^ it looks stunning. Some guitars have a certain authority about them - count the Guild above in. 

And heps for that serious 'Triangle of 36-bronze'. Never ever heard of anything like it. An impressing'n'original passion.

I 'only' have an older Ibanez here - when asked it says "I'll do my best, yes". 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Cougar said:

ad01.jpg
F-212XL

Congrats on that Beauty! One of my friends left one of those at my house for a few years while he was on the road.. They are outstanding 12 String Guitars! Sadly, one day he came home & picked it up.. I wanted to buy it but it wasn’t for sale..

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Congrats on that Beauty! One of my friends left one of those at my house for a few years while he was on the road.. They are outstanding 12 String Guitars! Sadly, one day he came home & picked it up.. I wanted to buy it but it wasn’t for sale..

You should have just moved while he was gone.

• Haha 2