Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood, Mahogany or Maple? Why?

Larsongs

On 10/13/2023 at 7:50 AM, gearbasher said:

My version of "Women are like guitars" is: One you fool around and play with, the other plays you for a fool.

I used to think that until my late friend, Jody Reynolds, told me.. Never let a Guitar own you.

Since then I play my Guitars like I own them..

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I used to think that until my late friend, Jody Reynolds, told me.. Never let a Guitar own you.

Larsongs,

I play my guitars to produce musical sounds, and I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this.

RBSinTo

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Larsongs,

I play my guitars to produce musical sounds, and I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this.

RBSinTo

We all started playing Guitars to produce musical sounds.. I didn’t know either until I watched Jody play Guitar..

Watch Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton & Jimmy Page, they are ultimate examples..

7 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I have that with pure light coloured newly laid board-floors or white table-cloths. . 

4 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Well, , , check my previous comment.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               You can get so hung up fx by owning a high-end guitar, it imprisons you in awe and over-careful behavior. 

Guess it counts for cars and horses and furniture and clothes too, , , , hmm everything. . 

21 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

I have that with pure light coloured newly laid board-floors or white table-cloths. . 

Well, , , check my previous comment.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               You can get so hung up fx by owning a high-end guitar, it imprisons you in awe and over-careful behavior. 

Guess it counts for cars and horses and furniture and clothes too, , , , hmm everything. . 

My guitars range in price from a $325.00 ES-335 knock-off to a $4,000.00 Martin, but I play them all the same way.

My only over-careful behaviour is to never smash any of them over an amplifier at the end of a song.

RBSinTo

56 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

I have that with pure light coloured newly laid board-floors or white table-cloths. . .

That is the price of white table cloths. Well, one of the prices.

56 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

, , , hmm everything. . 

Pretty much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

My only over-careful behaviour is to never smash any of them over an amplifier at the end of a song.

Simply because it went so bad ? 😮 , , , or in excitement over how well it turned out, , , and sublime the whole evening is. . 

10 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Simply because it went so bad ? 😮 , , , or in excitement over how well it turned out, , , and sublime the whole evening is. . 

No.

Because destroying instruments doesn't make a song better, and my meager musical skills would not be masked by doing so.

Besides, it really is a stupid and classless move.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

9 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Besides, it really is a stupid and classless move.

Agree.

Nothing worse than a Karen whining about capitalism while they make so much money they can't spend it all without destroying things that would otherwise have been appreciated by a younger version of themselves. 

19 minutes ago, Murph said:

Agree.

Nothing worse than a Karen whining about capitalism while they make so much money they can't spend it all without destroying things that would otherwise have been appreciated by a younger version of themselves. 

? a Karen ?

I can't really comment on my preferred B/S tone wood - because I don't have enough specific experience.  (Obviously, I'm commenting anyway.)   I think you would have to  have three guitars - representative models like the J45 - with the 3 different tone woods, strung with the same brand of strings.  THEN,  you would have find someone with 'normal' hearing, and a player who can play a half dozen representative snippets identically.     Without a reasonable attempt to use 'the scientific method', all a peson can do is decide which guitar of several they own and play regularly - sounds best to them - and then assume it is based on the tone wood.   So, I know which of mine sounds best, clearly.  But it would be presumptuous to recommend the tone wood and  NOT disclose it could be due to the body shape, bracing, age, strings, etc. 

Maple. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

American colloquialism.   A person, male or female, who is part SnowFlake and part Blonde. 

…And left behind in the pandemic?  I didn’t realize folks were were still dragging that chestnut out.  I’ve never heard it used with either sex, and linking it to smashing guitars is kinda awkward… Really, one could say most musicians have an over-developed sense of entitlement since we usually believe everyone wants to hear our noise.  

Edited by PrairieDog

24 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

SnowFlake !?

If you are sincerely asking and not just being incredulous we are reduced to this (as I am), it’s another dated, playground pejorative deployed by a certain excitable group against the other side who usually just respond “I’m rubber, you’re glue…”   

39 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

SnowFlake !?

Em7  -   another term we use here  to suggest the other person or persons  melt at the mere thought of a heated discussion.   Merriam-Webster is constantly challenged by the new words and new definitions of existing words too.   So - it is understandable some here don't appreciate the nuances.  I'm sure every country has their own words to describe the same things:  Putz comes to mind.  Cheeky Monkey...     Even the term  'wood'  has a double meaning. (Got to keep coming back to 'guitars'  so I don't get criticized by the ...  WHOOPS, almost used another pejorative !  

Back to the Thread……

After further research I’m finding that the 3 Bigs Gibson, Martin & Guild most expensive Guitars are Rosewood & Spruce.. 

Gibson Pre-War J-200, Martin D-45 & Guild D-55E..

They say it’s because Rosewood allows a scooped Mid Range which is considered ideal for Guitarist’s who Sing…