Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Tried These

Sgt. Pepper

I just put a set on my 000-18 yesterday. I swore off Martin strings a couple years ago, as they are too squeaky, and I started using D’Addario XS’s.  So far I really like these. They cost the same as D’AD XS’s. They are Nickel Cobalt. I don’t think I ever tried Nickel Cobalt stings.

https://www.martinguitar.com/strings/acoustic/41Y23MK11.html

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just put a set on my 000-18 yesterday. I swore off Martin strings a couple years ago, as they are too squeaky, and I started using D’Addario XS’s.  So far I really like these. They cost the same as D’AD XS’s. They are Nickel Cobalt. I don’t think I ever tried Nickel Cobalt stings.

https://www.martinguitar.com/strings/acoustic/41Y23MK11.html

the XS’s are where I have to stick for now. Steering clear of nickel after I forgot about my little allergy.  Gotta say I really happy I found a solution with the D’darrios. Otherwise I was looking at a very short end to my career. Good to hear there are alternatives for the folks though. 

14 hours ago, rbpicker said:

For that price, you’d think they could give them a Kryptonite coating.  

No thanks. 

roger

They are exactly the same price as the D'ad XS's. The they were 17.99 now they are 19.99.

The XS's seriously last at least 3 to 4 months. 

Have you seen Thomastik-Infeld's string prices?

14 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

the XS’s are where I have to stick for now. Steering clear of nickel after I forgot about my little allergy.  Gotta say I really happy I found a solution with the D’darrios. Otherwise I was looking at a very short end to my career. Good to hear there are alternatives for the folks though. 

I'm probably going back to the XS's, but so for so good on these.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

They are exactly the same price as the D'ad XS's. The they were 17.99 now they are 19.99.

The XS's seriously last at least 3 to 4 months. 

Have you seen Thomastik-Infeld's string prices?

Yes, and I also don’t use them.  That’s just me.

rb

Thomastik-Infield's Spectrums are the cat's arse on my Dove. $32 a pack now. sheeesh! Just the one time was all I could do. Well, till I sell my old house.

I was using D'Add Nickel Wounds for a while on my HB and SJ-200 Standards. They helped to ease some of that new guitar chirpiness. Those Nickel Cobalts do the same sort of thing?

The SJ-200 Standard is gone, but the HB does well now with about anything. even with some cheapo Rotosounds, though I'd rather not. Latest set is some Cleartones I think you once enjoyed and tipped me onto. $18 a pack now. Like the Spectrums, I'm discovering a fondness for some 'spensive strings. Otherwise sticking with uncoated JP and DR mostly. Only other coated strings I've liked so far, fwiw, is a set of 80/20 Elixers. I've got a set about 3-4 years old waiting to be strung up,

On 10/18/2023 at 6:34 PM, BoSoxBiker said:

Thomastik-Infield's Spectrums are the cat's arse on my Dove. $32 a pack now. sheeesh! Just the one time was all I could do. Well, till I sell my old house.

I was using D'Add Nickel Wounds for a while on my HB and SJ-200 Standards. They helped to ease some of that new guitar chirpiness. Those Nickel Cobalts do the same sort of thing?

The SJ-200 Standard is gone, but the HB does well now with about anything. even with some cheapo Rotosounds, though I'd rather not. Latest set is some Cleartones I think you once enjoyed and tipped me onto. $18 a pack now. Like the Spectrums, I'm discovering a fondness for some 'spensive strings. Otherwise sticking with uncoated JP and DR mostly. Only other coated strings I've liked so far, fwiw, is a set of 80/20 Elixers. I've got a set about 3-4 years old waiting to be strung up,

Elixers feel to slick to me.