Gibson Brands Forums

Any "Amanda Lynn" players on the Gibson forum?

OrdinaryNimda

Gibson has informed us, that they made two new MANDOLIN models. They look gorgeous and are premium instruments (including the prices 🧐), but I am not a mandolin player. Never had one in my hands. However, this development is interesting, because it looks like a "technical warmup" for the things that might be really interesting for guitarists, for example ES-175 and similar guitars.

Here's the link:
https://www.gibson.com/en-US/page/mandolin

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Gibson has informed us, that they made two new MANDOLIN models. They look gorgeous and are premium instruments (including the prices 🧐), but I am not a mandolin player. Never had one in my hands. However, this development is interesting, because it looks like a "technical warmup" for the things that might be really interesting for guitarists, for example ES-175 and similar guitars.

Here's the link:

20k and 6k. Nice and affordable.

26 minutes ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Here's the link:

I think this would be a better warmup for a L5 or Byrdland. Those are carved vs the stamped laminated 175

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Where are they made? Montana or Tennessee?

Looks like Nashville, despite all elements being similar to acoustic guitar production:

"Each newly made 1923 F-5 Master Model Reissue crafted by Gibson Custom Shop in Nashville, Tennessee, will come with a Certificate of Authenticity bearing a portrait of Lloyd Loar, the Master Luthier who worked for Gibson for only five years, but whose innovations in that time paved the way for so much that followed."

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

According to a gentleman I spoke with at the Gibson Garage, there are no plans for a 175 or any of its variants. 

Yeah don't make what people will buy. and want. That's nuts. All the young kids want 20k mando's. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Great videos! Especially the second one was really interesting and joyful. Love the music and the sound of the instruments.

Yep, these are making a big hit at the Mandolin Cafe and will be a successful product, no doubt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Murph said:

My mandolin is a 1933 Gibson.

I just saw a partial pic of your '33 Gibson Mandolin that you put on the "whip out your rig" post. Do you mind showing us a good pic of it here? (and maybe a case pic for the case addicts) You have mentioned it a couple of times, but I had no idea it was made in 1933. 

3 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I just saw a partial pic of your '33 Gibson Mandolin that you put on the "whip out your rig" post. Do you mind showing us a good pic of it here? (and maybe a case pic for the case addicts) You have mentioned it a couple of times, but I had no idea it was made in 1933. 

I just checked and don't have a good one on my Imgur. I'll work on that. The case is not original, George Gruhn just gave me one he had laying around.

Here's a pic of Chris Thile trying to steal it...

CcQPB8b.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I just checked and don't have a good one on my Imgur. I'll work on that. The case is not original, George Gruhn just gave me one he had laying around.

CcQPB8b.jpg

nothing like casually name dropping, (and picture dropping) a MacArthur "Genius" award recipient who just happens to be strumming your bad *** '33 Gibson mandolin.  Oh, and similarly explaining that OPRF graduate, UC and UofT graduate, world renown vintage fretted instrument "god" (note the little "g"), and co-author of Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars casually handed you a case for your '33, that he just had laying around. You are my new King of understated class. (I hope you know that I'm just giving you a bit of envious ribbing.) 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Murph said:

CcQPB8b.jpg

I would say if he was stuffing it the case and running away with it - sure, but its looks to me like he is playing it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 10/12/2023 at 5:40 PM, Sheepdog1969 said:

nothing like casually name dropping, (and picture dropping) a MacArthur "Genius" award recipient who just happens to be strumming your bad *** '33 Gibson mandolin.  Oh, and similarly explaining that OPRF graduate, UC and UofT graduate, world renown vintage fretted instrument "god" (note the little "g"), and co-author of Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars casually handed you a case for your '33, that he just had laying around. You are my new King of understated class. (I hope you know that I'm just giving you a bit of envious ribbing.) 

Them's fighting words!

• Haha 1