Gibson Brands Forums

Sound demo (strumming) 2010 Gibson J45-TV and 2022 Martin OM-28

MorrisrownSal

The J45 has Elixirs. The Martin has Daddario XS. Same pick. Recorded dry with an iPhone. No processing or reverb or coloring. I think you are hearing it as if you were in front of the guitars.

I think the J45 is world class in how wide its sound is… but maybe the Martin gets there down the road? I know from where I am sitting, and listening “on top”, that OM is fantastic. Thanks for listening guys.

• Like 1

Thanks for this.  I love these comparisons.  They are so helpful.  Wow, I’m really partial to the sound of that J-45. Perfect.  The Martin is nice, but something about the harmonics and overtones in my ears, I just don’t hear Martins very well.  I know they are lovely guitars and I do feel like I’m missing out.  

I’ve been looking for a mahogany guitar to add for a bit now.   I posted a thread a while back asking about a “dead” j 45 I played at our GC.  I got lots of good advice about what may have been the reason and to try others. Well, this weekend they had a new one in, and hoo boy! Now I really “get” the J 45 fandom.  

They also had a used Taylor 714 LTD with sinker redwood top and rosewood.  I finally understand when folks talk about certain guitars being better for certain styles of playing. The J 45 was turning cartwheels on picking and strumming, really rich and musical, whatever I asked it to do.  The Taylor just kinda sat out the dance for picking, the high notes just fell out unless I hit with just the right attack. But it was a horse race with the Gibson on strumming.  It did make me pause for a second on the Taylor.  Too bad my technique isn’t good enough yet to switch guitars mid-song from picking the J-45 for verses and solos, then grabbing the Taylor to strum along through the chorus, LOL.  

Anyway, I may be regretting I went home without the Gibson, erring on the discretion side of the budget since my spouse just picked up a 1934 National Duolian for a birthday present.  Still, I am thinking about it more than I should be if I’m really not going to buy it, chuckle.   

• Like 1

Hey Sal, for this type of stumming i thoght the the J-45 really sounded wonderful, open, musical. The Martin sounded quite compressed, not so many notes ringing out.  Would be good to compare the two fingerpicked, where i would imagine the Martin would excel more.

• Like 1