Gibson Brands Forums

The new Beatles

E-minor7

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Revolver's already out - Rubber Soul is in the mold. Well, I like the old mixes refreshed/mastered. New mixes are risky territory - and the Fab-camp knows it. Because of that they most of the time appear to be acceptable. Some of them reveal new details on the tracks, , , slightly different  possibilities. And sure, the latter is dangerous and must be restricted/prohibited in the future. . 

I meant the, “Now and Then” version…

BTW, I have the new “Revolver” & they did a good job on that Re-Mix..

2 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I meant the, “Now and Then” version…

BTW, I have the new “Revolver” & they did a good job on that Re-Mix..

Ok, I see -😸 and agree.

The camp knows what it does. And actually represents some level of moral or high standard which seems to slip in so many other fields of modern reality. In that sense the Fab-center (cash-machine or not) still plays an important role in contemporary life'n'culture. 

5 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

, , , , totally moving.

Have the feeling Lennon heard this. . . 

On 11/10/2023 at 7:54 AM, E-minor7 said:

New mixes are risky territory - and the Fab-camp knows it. Because of that they most of the time appear to be acceptable. Some of them reveal new details on the tracks, , , slightly different  possibilities. And sure, the latter is dangerous and must be restricted/prohibited in the future. . 

Every REMIX Giles did IMHO have been absolutely killer. I didn't buy the big Revolver set cause it did not have a 5.1 SS mix. LIB didn't either, but I got that as a Xmas gift, or I would not have gotten the mega set, and instead I would have got the remixed LP and CD. Its more noticeable what he did with The White Album, at least for me. I know that album like that back of my________. But each one has had  moments where I heard stuff I never knew was there. I hope they do Rubber Soul. Help! and everything before that probably doesn't need to be remixed. If they are going to do all of them, and only do one a year then they will be done by 2029. Also they skipped over Magical Mystery Tour. It is not a favorite of mine. As 2 songs on it were recorded before Pepper came out, and the songs Flying, and Blue Jay Way I can't stand.

Just my uneducated guess.

Rubber Soul - 2024

Help! - 2025

For Sale - 2026

A Hard Day's Night - 2027

With The Beatles - 2028

Please Please Me - 2029

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

But each one has had  moments where I heard stuff I never knew was there.

Yes, agree, , , and that's probably the main kick about these releases. Of course the overall picture is a bit of a ride as well. 

I like Flying a lot - especially the funky tremo-start. That said, I felt it fell apart in the CD-stereo-mix. In fact like a severe part of the entire early digi-MMT, which I heard in cans in a studio-shack back in the early winter of 1992. 

I sense you're a serious fan, Pepper. .  

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I always dug it.

🦋

My opinion on this track is unpopular.  It seems like a nostalgia money grab.  It isn't a very good song compared to the rest of their catalog and IMO it isn't a Beatles song.  It's a studio mishmash of a couple existing tracks and some ghastly graveyard exhumations.  I'll stick with Rubber Soul and the White album.  Not for me.

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

And that is the best they can do for a cover?

It's a drag - I frankly thought it was a teaser leading the the real thing. But no.

However this one is in play too. There is a short film on FB where Olivia Harrison tells the story about how George found it in a second hand shop. Not sure I believe it. Then again it could be true. . 
3xOa0P1.jpg

2 hours ago, Rosinante said:

My opinion on this track is unpopular. 

One needs to hear the new song with a set of alternative ears - and an open heart. 

Not hard to understand if it's too challenging or impossible. In that case just don't turn on the track.

I don't really hear it, , , yet give it spin now and then. Just passed round circa six, , , wonder if I'll reach number 9.  

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

It's a drag - I frankly thought it was a teaser leading the the real thing. But no.

However this one is in play too. There is a short film on FB where Olivia Harrison tells the story about how George found it in a second hand shop. Not sure I believe it. Then again it could be true. . 
3xOa0P1.jpg

One needs to hear the new song with a set of alternative ears - and an open heart. 

Not hard to understand if it's too challenging or impossible. In that case just don't turn on the track.

I don't really hear it, , , yet give it spin now and then. Just passed round circa six, , , wonder if I'll reach number 9.  

I think as a new track of music it's ok.  It's just not a Beatles song.  If any other musicians that hadn't been a part of the Fab Four released this I doubt it would have ever seen the light of day.  Just my opinion of course.  My main issue is the marketing around the whole thing.  If it had been released as a new John Lennon solo track that was completed by the Beatles Inc. I'm sure I would be less harsh in my judgement.

It could be a generational thing as well.  I was born long after the Beatles hey day and after a certain someone took away our chance of ever finding out what a truly reunited Beatles might have sounded like.  So I don't have the mental, spiritual and emotional attachments that some have when it comes to the Beatles.

As far as exhumed tracks go I think the best case of any band releasing a great posthumous track was The Doors "Ghost Song", that really fit with the band and actually sounded like a real song that they would have done together had they kept going.

I am happy for the people that are finding joy with this track, that's great it's hard to come by these days.

17 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

3xOa0P1.jpgI don't really hear it, , , yet give it spin now and then. Just passed round circa six, , , wonder if I'll reach number 9.  

Yeah I saw the back cover when I saw the single the other day. The back is not that spectacular either.

To make it real authentic they should have had Yoko sitting on an amp knitting while Paul was laying down his bass parts.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, motorcitychick said:

What a wonderful song and bless The Beatles.  Very sad that John and George are no longer here.

I agree. It's a miracle this was made at all. Of course it's not Earth changing or "mind blowing", but thanks to everyone involved in the process, I'm sure it was a work of love to all involved.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Murph said:

I agree. It's a miracle this was made at all. Of course it's not Earth changing or "mind blowing", but thanks to everyone involved in the process, I'm sure it was a work of love to all involved.

Murph, your gentle side is appreciated. I'd say is has a beatle-vibe ringing. . . 

12 hours ago, Murph said:

I'm just a big old teddy....

Lots of treble in these cans. . 

10 hours ago, Murph said:

I  love that album.

I did a lot of low budget solo multi-track stuff in my day and just always dug the tone and rawness of that album.

Interessantos - I only bought the CD 3 or 4 years ago and have the double-feeling about it. 
Remember when it came out though -                                                                                                                                                                                              and how confusing it was for these young eyes to see that nice Macca-shot on the LP-cover, , ,                                                                                                                                      right next to the spring-new Let It Be. . 😵

Edited by E-minor7

15 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Remember when it came out though -                                                                        . . 😵

I wondered what it meant.

I mean, it's not a bowl of cherries...

27 minutes ago, Murph said:

Great Album! I had the Album as soon as it was released. I wanted to know how he played all the instruments! I wanted to be able to do that! Not long after I bought my first Reel to Reel Tape Recorder.. It was a Sony that had Sound on Sound capability. I was able to layer Tracks! WOW! I thought it was the Coolest thing! I still think it’s pretty amazing.. Although, the Technology has evolved so much it’s amazing what you can do now!

Les Paul was the first that I know of to layer Tracks. But, Paul made it really Great!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Murph said:

Hehe, , , at the other hand LP-covers had shown and taught us quite a bit at that point already. 

Seems the berries was a double sweet coincidence.

4ulK3dX.jpg

9 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Great Album! I had the Album as soon as it was released. I wanted to know how he played all the instruments! I wanted to be able to do that! Not long after I bought my first Reel to Reel Tape Recorder.. It was a Sony that had Sound on Sound capability. I was able to layer Tracks! WOW! I thought it was the Coolest thing! I still think it’s pretty amazing.. Although, the Technology has evolved so much it’s amazing what you can do now!

Les Paul was the first that I know of to layer Tracks. But, Paul made it really Great!

I remember Neil Young praising the record for its loose qualities not so many years ago. 

Admit it was like that - pretty avantgarde, , , and let's not forget it happened before Bob's Self Portrait.