Gibson Brands Forums

Heirloom Guitar Video

merciful-evans

I have another free 30 day Prime Video (even though I swore never again) and cancelled immediately. Nevertheless I watched 'Heirloom Guitar' last night. Its about the American steel strung acoustic guitars and the history thereof. 

Personally I hated it. The subject matter is certainly of great interest, but the presentation and most of the content was gratuitous, indulgent and often irrelevant. All through is background noodling which was repetitive, unimaginative and annoying. Some of the guitars were very nice, but I learned almost nothing. I know others here are likely to have seen it and may have a different take. That's fine.

Very disappointed. They have more music and guitar content on there. I may take a look at those. 

Got 3 or 4  "FREE"  things from Apple when I got the new phone a month ago.  Still pestering me to sign up.  I refuse to sign up for a  Free Trial, find the app is not any good and then, on the 91st day get a bill for the next month.    Had that issue with internet - they said - "You didn't Unsign Up -  so you owe us for HBO... you've had it for 3 months.  I told them I never used it, didn't even know I had it and they could bill me if they could prove I ever used it."   

As far as garbage gratuitous guitar stuff -  is it only me, or do  cameramen seem trained to cut off showing the headstocks of guitars when they are filming guys playing?   My wife thinks I"m crazy when I jump out of my chair to get closer to the TV when a bit comes on showing a group or person playing an acoustic - to see what kind it is, and I curse out the cameraman for showing the drums, the mike, the crowd, but never the headstock and rarely a good shot of the guitar or even the players fret hand.  And, of course, there's the cases where they have black electrical tape over the logo and a tuner or capo clamped on for good measure.   I've given up expecting the media to actually show anything meaningful.

I generally avoid all of these kinds of services like the plague.    I might be more interested though if the video got into things such as the innovative instruments built at the turn of the 20th century by Carl Holzapfel which incorporated unique twists on then standard designs such as combining ladder bracing with two tone bars.  While eye candy is always nice, give me something I have not seen or read a dozen times in other places.

Edited by zombywoof

10 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Got 3 or 4  "FREE"  things from Apple when I got the new phone a month ago.  Still pestering me to sign up.  I refuse to sign up for a  Free Trial, find the app is not any good and then, on the 91st day get a bill for the next month.    Had that issue with internet - they said - "You didn't Unsign Up -  so you owe us for HBO... you've had it for 3 months.  I told them I never used it, didn't even know I had it and they could bill me if they could prove I ever used it."   

As far as garbage gratuitous guitar stuff -  is it only me, or do  cameramen seem trained to cut off showing the headstocks of guitars when they are filming guys playing?   My wife thinks I"m crazy when I jump out of my chair to get closer to the TV when a bit comes on showing a group or person playing an acoustic - to see what kind it is, and I curse out the cameraman for showing the drums, the mike, the crowd, but never the headstock and rarely a good shot of the guitar or even the players fret hand.  And, of course, there's the cases where they have black electrical tape over the logo and a tuner or capo clamped on for good measure.   I've given up expecting the media to actually show anything meaningful.

I had the same thing with another movie stream company - got the free trial, watched the Yellowstone series as soon as I could - cancelled it but they still charged me for the next month. I emailed a number of times, no reply, so I actually rang them and vented! Still got charged and proclaim to everyone that they will never, ever, ner, ever get my cash ....blah, blah....

So it is obviously how they all operate.

And now I just HAD to watch the Peter Jackson  Get Back doco, was sensational 6 hours and now I have Disney Plus😝, no free trial and lots of kid shows to watch.

BluesKing777.

I twice (some years back) found, to my surprise,  I had Prime membership. On both occasions I complained to customer services and was refunded. 

Its a matter of trust. The extremes they go to to get you to inadvertently click on the wrong button etc. 

They do have a bunch more music doc content than flix or plus though. 

12 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I had the same thing with another movie stream company - got the free trial, watched the Yellowstone series as soon as I could - cancelled it but they still charged me for the next month. I emailed a number of times, no reply, so I actually rang them and vented! Still got charged and proclaim to everyone that they will never, ever, ner, ever get my cash ....blah, blah....

So it is obviously how they all operate.

And now I just HAD to watch the Peter Jackson  Get Back doco, was sensational 6 hours and now I have Disney Plus😝, no free trial and lots of kid shows to watch.

BluesKing777.

I'll never see Get Back as long as Disney owns it.

Ever.

• Like 2