Gibson Brands Forums

My Wife Just Bought Me A Guitar - Kind Of.

zombywoof

In close to 25 years of being married, my darling wife has never bought me a guitar or any kind of musical instrument.  She just figures she could never second guess me about what particular instrument I would bring home.  Anyway, that all changed.  She hands me a box within which is an X'mas present she wants me to open early.  Not being one to stand on formality she did not have to ask twice.  Lo and behold, inside was a Strumstick MiniSlide.  She ran across it while looking for an instrument to add to the one she already owns and thought this was a safe bet as it was something which I would never have thought of buying for myself.  She definitely called that one.

Basically, the thing looks like a dulcimer with a chambered rather than a hollow body.  It is maple with a Koa inset placed under the bridge into which are drilled three tiny soundholes.  Nothing larger is needed as it sports some kind of pickup being designed to be played plugged in.  Unplugged though it definitely puts out a Dobro sound. 

I spent a good part of my introduction to the instrument trying out different kinds of picks and slides.  I quickly favored the metal thumbpick but am not yet sure whether I will settle in with a glass, ceramic bullet or metal bar slide.  Played the obligatory "Rolling and Tumbling" followed by Mississippi Fred's "I Gotta Move" and then on to putzing around with a three-string version of the Beatles "Norwegian Wood." Anyway, I figure this thing is either going to be a fun "and now for something completely different" diversion or it will turn into one heck of a frustrating experience.  

As this forum gives me conniption fits trying to upload photos, I will link to site in case anybody's curiosity has been aroused.

MiniSlide - Strumstick.com

• Like 3

This seems to be one of those instruments that can create miracles on a track.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Well, , , , maybe it doesn't even need a track. . 

I'm sure it will blend well with your wife's 200.

13 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

This seems to be one of those instruments that can create miracles on a track.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Well, , , , maybe it doesn't even need a track. . 

I'm sure it will blend well with your wife's 200.

At this point the winning combination  is the metal thumbpick with a glass slide.  The heavy metal bars are pretty much overkill.  I was playing the Texas waltz "Midnight on the Water" last night which got me thinking a glass or possibly ceramic knuckle slide is in my future.

• Like 1