Gibson Brands Forums

50's wiring and volume

Pinch

You are right. I like this wiring because of the tonal details you can achieve with minimal changes to the controls. I max everything out then slowly roll off the volume of one of the pickups to get a nice tone shift. There are almost an infinite combination of tones available. Of course someone will come in and tell you that I'm nuts and don't know what I'm talking about but this is my story and I'm sticking to it. 

Just now, 10PoundLester said:

You are right. I like this wiring because of the tonal details you can achieve with minimal changes to the controls. I max everything out then slowly roll off the volume of one of the pickups to get a nice tone shift. There are almost an infinite combination of tones available. Of course someone will come in and tell you that I'm nuts and don't know what I'm talking about but this is my story and I'm sticking to it. 

So rolling off volume just a little notches wont lower the pickup volume noticeably?

Just now, 10PoundLester said:

I just happen to be sitting here at my desk. Glad to help out!

Still though. This place is great. Everyone helps everyone out. Call me old-fashioned, but like most of you, I'm old enough to remember a time when that was actually considered a virtue.

I start my Volume & Tone knobs at 5.. Then roll them to the sweet spot for each Pickup position.... It always leaves me the ability to increase or decrease either as needed depending what Pickup I’m on or what song we’re playing.. There is a huge palette of available Tone & Sound. No need to run back & forth adjusting Amps or Pedals.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Larsongs said:

I start my Volume & Tone knobs at 5.. Then roll them to the sweet spot for each Pickup position.... It always leaves me the ability to increase or decrease either as needed depending what Pickup I’m on or what song we’re playing.. There is a huge palette of available Tone & Sound. No need to run back & forth adjusting Amps or Pedals.. 

Yeah, I'm starting to think modern wiring is a bit of a one-trick pony IME. OTOH, I'm not the biggest treble fan, but I'm thinking it's easier to EQ out excessive treble than to have to adjust tons of knobs on amps and pedals for each individual sound (and they're still a bit samey with modern wiring)

1 minute ago, Larsongs said:

For me, the weird thing is that I've never even considered this. I got my first LP in the 70's. I always played it with everything on 10 and used my amp and/or pedals for the tone. Now that I'm smart(er) I am in tonal heaven!

2 minutes ago, 10PoundLester said:

For me, the weird thing is that I've never even considered this. I got my first LP in the 70's. I always played it with everything on 10 and used my amp and/or pedals for the tone. Now that I'm smart(er) I am in tonal heaven!

Or 11! I think we all did! LOL! 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, 10PoundLester said:

Did you change the wiring on your recent 60s LP?

Okay, boys and girls, one more. Do I have it right when I say that with 50's wiring, volume at ten on neck pup and tone on zero on same neck pup will essentially be the same as with modern wiring, because they're both on "full on or off" positions? I.e., no volume drop on the neck pup if it's on volume 10 and the tone is on 0, zip, nada? 

On 12/13/2023 at 9:02 AM, 10PoundLester said:

you're nuts and you don't know what you are talking about

There !  I fixed it for you..

Actually, truth be told, I could not agree more. 

For anyone who says that Les Pauls, (or that config) is not as versatile as a fender setup, has probably never spent any time at all working the middle position and blending neck and bridge pickups using volume and tone.   I can get the coolest blues tones with that setup and just a little edge on the tone stack at the amp

I wouldn't want a 2 humbucker setup that only had single volume and tone controls, you lose a lot of options that way.

Now I'm not sure on the 50s wiring,  and volume but I guess it would make sense.

I don't have that set up in any of my Gibsons, but I've always been a bit intrigued if I'd like it or not.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, kidblast said:

For anyone who says that Les Pauls, (or that config) is not as versatile as a fender setup, has probably never spent any time at all working the middle position and blending neck and bridge pickups using volume and tone.   I can get the coolest blues tones with that setup and just a little edge on the tone stack at the amp

That'll be me (though I don't make that claim about Fenders). Never felt the need to TBH. However, if I did. I'd want to be able to lock the knobs in those required positions. That's a feature I would like. 

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is there are different quality Capacitors.. Cheap one that go from Bass to Treble from O to 1 & stays there all the way to 10. There are better Capacitors that do a beautiful job gradually roll up from Bass to Treble in small gradual changes from 0 to 10.. The later are usually found on high end Gibsons..

Is 50’s Wiring necessary? Who knows? If so, why did Gibson change it?

Here is a pretty good video of 50’s wiring..

3 hours ago, 10PoundLester said:

Give it a try, you might just prefer it. 

Thing is  I don't have the treble bleed issue on my 95 LP Standard.  At least not so much that I'm thinking about it, but it's maybe worth a check.

on my 2002 standard I add the variable treble circuit on the 500k pot.  and THAT worked quite well.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 8:24 AM, Larsongs said:

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is there are different quality Capacitors.. Cheap one that go from Bass to Treble from O to 1 & stays there all the way to 10. There are better Capacitors that do a beautiful job gradually roll up from Bass to Treble in small gradual changes from 0 to 10.. The later are usually found on high end Gibsons..

Is 50’s Wiring necessary? Who knows? If so, why did Gibson change it?

Here is a pretty good video of 50’s wiring..

Oh boy…

• Haha 1