Gibson Brands Forums

Small accomplishments...I organized my gear...kinda

saturn

For years my crap has just been randomly stored in my basement or scattered throughout rooms in my house. I finally cleared some room in my basement, and assembled one of those case racks that just fits all my guitars. I was tired of seeing all these other people's photos of their nice neat music spaces and then looking at my mess.

Before

XIKGudz.jpg

After

NPf65Lj.jpg

Feel free to show yours [smile]

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, saturn said:

For years my crap has just been randomly stored in my basement or scattered throughout rooms in my house. I finally cleared some room in my basement, and assembled one of those case racks that just fits all my guitars. I was tired of seeing all these other people's photos of their nice neat music spaces and then looking at my mess.

Before

XIKGudz.jpg

After

NPf65Lj.jpg

Feel free to show yours [smile]

We haven't even been on a date yet, slow down big boy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 11:52 AM, 10PoundLester said:

What's that round thing? Looks evil . . .

Your post inspired my to string that evil thing up. It was one of the most frustrating things I've done in awhile. Now I remember why is sat for so long.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, saturn said:

Your post inspired my to string that evil thing up. It was one of the most frustrating things I've done in awhile. Now I remember why is sat for so long.

Whispering so the others don’t hear, “So, whatcha got there? I can’t make out the headstock, but it looks nice.”   

If you mean the banjo, it's a Samick.  I'm not sure if it's nice or not. Seems pretty good. Has a pretty eagle on the back side. This is the only old photo I could find. I know it's old because we haven't had those red eared sliders in years.

9efBKTM.jpg

Saturn, they only have 5 stings  (pronounced  "Strangs)  ... one is only half sized !   it should have taken you LESS time to restring than a guitar !!!        AND ... are those turtles ears red from having to listen to  blue grass ?   

• Haha 2

These “small accomplishments” can steamroll…

Every year, with the deck out of service for the winter, our little house starts to feel even smaller, and our thoughts turn to how can we make the space more useful.

With chaos burgeoning in the living room, cases and guitars leaned up against various walls, we swapped our unused dining room into a music room. We got the five case rack and everything loaded into it neatly.  Well, a sad reso and my starter Yamaha had to be tucked off to the side, behind the door.  We got a couple comfy armless task chairs from Office Depot, enough stands to keep the favorites handy, put in a spare tv so we could stream the lessons, and we were in practice-encouraging business.  

Not sure how, but there are accidentally five more cases leaning willy nilly up against the walls. (Did we feed the first ones after midnight?)  There are stands and other bits of gear everywhere, the room is a full mess again, and I still hadn’t gotten my keyboard, hand drums and celtic harp loaded in yet.  

So, on a lark last night, we spent the evening measuring our bed to see if we could swap the music room for the master bedroom that has a bit more floor space.  It’s doable, but seemed like more than we want/should really tackle.  

Which brings me back to winter dreaming about space. Every winter for 20 years we fantasized about bumping out the end of our modest 70’s rambler to make a larger living/dining area for entertaining.  For 20 years we were foiled by various delays/false starts.  Now, post-covid, entertaining isn’t a much of a thing anymore, our friends are away or not venturing out much.  A couple years ago we conceded, huh, that was a bullet dodged we didn’t spend all that money. We adjusted our attitude and agreed,  how much space do we really need to watch tv and read?

Last night in the aftermath of several hours of measuring, and back and forth over the bedroom/music switch, the obvious dream woke back up.  Hey, what if we built the room off the end of the house as a proper music room?  With built in racks, storage, wired up with sound, and acoustical treatments, etc? I joked, we could make a proper “conservatory” like in the old manor houses.  

I chuckled at the idea of folks arriving at our little box, me greeting them at the door and in my best Masterpiece Theater voice: “Please, won’t you come join us in the conservatory?”  🤣

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Thanks 1