Gibson Brands Forums

Albums You Should Own

10 minutes ago, rct said:

It was groundbreaking in a lot of ways, influenced every genre of recording after it, sold more than anything.  Besides being a really good bunch of songs it did everything a record in the music business is supposed to, and did them all well.  It really is one of the greats.

rct

I have always been a big Motown fan and Thriller maintained that traditional Motown vibe as it's foundation, but then layered tighter, slightly increased BPM, end of disco era dance beats and unique frequency modulated synth tones atop it. Michaels signature style was the perfect icing on that cake.

I typically refer to Motown rhythms as "Grooves".  I used to describe MJ's Thriller as "Driving Groove", but maybe Bruno Mars described it better with the term, "Uptown Funk".  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I have always been a big Motown fan and Thriller maintained that traditional Motown vibe as it's foundation, but then layered tighter, slightly increased BPM, end of disco era dance beats and unique frequency modulated synth tones atop it. Michaels signature style was the perfect icing on that cake.

I typically refer to Motown rhythms as "Grooves".  I used to describe MJ's Thriller as "Driving Groove", but maybe Bruno Mars described it better with the term, "Uptown Funk".  

Something was happening.  It wasn't my arena rock, it wasn't exactly MMR/YSP radio rock, it wasn't Prog.  Something was happening that couldn't be stopped, and man it happened.  It was, even for a young man like myself in a Molly Hatchet tribute band, a great time for music.  For Mrs and I it was good times in general too.

rct

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 3:54 PM, rct said:

Michael_Jackson_-_Thriller.png

BillyIdolRebelYell.jpg

Adam_and_the_Ants_Prince_Charming.jpg

rct

MJ could sing his a-ss off. Of that one can not deny. People worship that album. His stuff is just not my thing. 

Saw Billy live touring the album after the one you posted. Some Billy I like, but most I don't. And we have all danced with ourselves.

My cousin and I used to listen to the one with Ant Music on it, in the summer of '81 in Jersey playing ping pong in the basement.

Best line of the day discussing MJ - Thriller goes to rct with "It wasn't Prog".

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 2/10/2024 at 6:40 PM, Sheepdog1969 said:

The MJ Thriller album is a favorite of mine. The production value is great, every song jams, and EVH plays on it so it has to be great, lol. (I was hesitant to post it here for fear of the slings and arrows I expected to be launched at me for posting it 🙂

Brucie's (Bruce Swedien's) engineering is first-rate, too. From songwriting to production to performances and the recording and mixing, it's just an incredibly great record, all the way around. 

12 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

Brucie's (Bruce Swedien's) engineering is first-rate, too. From songwriting to production to performances and the recording and mixing, it's just an incredibly great record, all the way around. 

That all may be true, but for me the music matters, and his music is not my thing. I honestly can not think of a song that wows me on that album. Heard the album many times and the hits on the radio to ad nauseum when it was the THING. 

When I listen a song I don't think about the production, or wow Eddie's solo was really mixed well there. I hear the song playing at that moment, and I like it or I don't.

Here is one. Most of you probably don't have it. These guy were to weird for most. Its probably well produced, as Godley and Creme were in the band. 

10CC - The Original Soundtrack 

There is about a 20 min documentary I watched on YT about how they did the song - I'm Not In Love. Stuff like that just is not done anymore.  

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is one. Most of you probably don't have it. These guy were to weird for most. Its probably well produced, as Godley and Creme were in the band. 

10CC - The Original Soundtrack 

There is about a 20 min documentary I watched on YT about how they did the song - I'm Not In Love. Stuff like that just is not done anymore.  

I'm Not In Love is not only a fantastic song, but the production was an amazing feat, especially back in 1975 when it was recorded. As an engineer, I've always been so impressed by the results, and the things they had to do to pull that off. Today, with all of the modern studio tools, it would be much easier to do - and the results would probably be less organic and compelling. The documentary you mentioned is well worth watching, IMO. 

19 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I'm Not In Love is not only a fantastic song, but the production was an amazing feat, especially back in 1975 when it was recorded. As an engineer, I've always been so impressed by the results, and the things they had to do to pull that off. Today, with all of the modern studio tools, it would be much easier to do - and the results would probably be less organic and compelling. The documentary you mentioned is well worth watching, IMO. 

I listened to it on vinyl the other day. The next album - How Dare You! would be the last with G & C till they did a lame reunion album in 1992. After Bloody Tourists they lost it.

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That all may be true, but for me the music matters, and his music is not my thing. I honestly can not think of a song that wows me on that album. Heard the album many times and the hits on the radio to ad nauseum when it was the THING. 

When I listen a song I don't think about the production, or wow Eddie's solo was really mixed well there. I hear the song playing at that moment, and I like it or I don't.

The music, and the emotional connection with the listener, was always Bruce's primary concern. While he was a great engineer, and his recordings and mixes were always quite good from a technical standpoint, in his mind, they were always subservient to that. We had many conversations about that, and he was adamant about what was most important to him. 

As a musician and an audio engineer, I listen to things a bit differently than the average person does, and I am aware of things that the typical listener probably isn't, but that doesn't change the priorities for me - if I were to list Phil's Top Ten List of Studio Rules, #1 on the list is always going to be "The Song is King." IMO, all the production tricks, the best recordings, and even the most impassioned performances won't make a so-so song great.  

Little Feat - Dixie Chicken.

This was my intro to L F. The first album was okay, but once Sailin' Shoes came out that was when they gained momentum.  Oh by the way Lowell George was on a few F Z albums.  If Lowell would have not snorted all the Coc in Bogota we would have gotten more L F albums with him on it. What a slide player. The man used a deep well socket for a slide. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 2/9/2024 at 11:15 PM, saturn said:

Damn. For some band who can't stand, you devote an awful lot of time and effort typing about them.   

Look I know I'm a jerk, but at least I just don't type Green Day Sucks and then run and hide. I try top give an explanation why I don't like them. From now on it will just be Green Day Sucks and nothing else. Satisfied?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 2/8/2024 at 4:01 PM, Karloff said:

not sure if it's for everyone but I sure love this album ...

Fish-Out-of-Water-Chris-Squire-album-cov

Ordered it last week on Blue Ray. It is in 5.1, and it has a new stereo mix, and the original mix, and promo videos too.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/chris-squire-fish-out-of-water-blu-ray-high-resolution-edition/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper