Gibson Brands Forums

Albums You Should Own

13 hours ago, John P said:

I had a good friend I joined up with who became an EM on the Blandy out of Norfolk.

I was stationed in downtown Norfolk when I was in the Coast Guard. In the Navy I was on the Curts in Yokosuka.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Last night I listened to Miles Davis - In A Silent Way. Everyone needs that. Why be typical and suggest Kind Of Blue? Then I threw on B-itches Brew. That one is a bit more challenging to listen to. Sketches Of Spain is really good too. Miles playing with an orchestra. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

26 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. Pure Powerpop Perfection. 

I got Bellybutton, the album before that one when I was stationed in Japan. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 11:17 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I know for a fact I don't need, or want to own it. I can't stand those whinny Pop-Punkers. Dookie was shoved down out throat's when it came out and then more by them.

Alrighty then.

10 hours ago, saturn said:

Alrighty then.

Wait I think they had two albums no one heard or cared about before Dookie made them big boys in the Punk Pop genera. I'm sure a Green Day fan must have them.

On 1/31/2024 at 7:12 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I got Bellybutton, the album before that one when I was stationed in Japan. 

Bellybutton is also an excellent album, IMO, but Spilt Milk is their masterpiece. It's brilliant. 

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

BB King - Live At The Regal. Sad it only a single LP.

I always preferred BB's Live in Cook County Jail. Even though I like At The Regal I thought it was a bit overpraised.  My favourite BB albums are Indianola Mississippi Seeds, Completely Well and LA Midnight. 

Edited by cody78

21 minutes ago, cody78 said:

I always preferred BB's Live in Cook County Jail. Even though I like At The Regal I thought it was a bit overpraised.  My favourite BB albums are Indianola Mississippi Seeds, Completely Well and LA Midnight. 

Seeds is my jam too. Nobody loves me but my mother and she could be jivin too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Wait I think they had two albums no one heard or cared about before Dookie made them big boys in the Punk Pop genera. I'm sure a Green Day fan must have them.

American Idiot is a very good album. I know your musical tastes are so much more sophisticated than mine, but that's my opinion.  

7 hours ago, saturn said:

American Idiot is a very good album. I know your musical tastes are so much more sophisticated than mine, but that's my opinion.  

My tastes are not more sophisticated than anyone elses. We like what we like, and I really I don't like them. They grate on me. I can't tolerate Billie's whinny complaining voice. 

Time Of Our Lives would be a much better song with a singer who well, could sing. 

If you don't like Zappa, The Dead, or King Crimson, or any of the c-rap I listen to I'm okay with that. But like you I'm entitled to my opinion.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 1/7/2024 at 10:30 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I am not going to recommend The Beatles or Zappa. There is no point, you know by now if you like them or not.

Here are two you should own and if you don't what are you waiting for?

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Joni Mitchell - Court And Spark

Now its your turn.

Sgt. When I married my wife, she had this album which I cannot remember the name of it now. I would not recommend to anyone. All the songs sounded lame but one song I still remember the start of the lyrics.  "Heh, hey Babe won't you be my dog, and I can be your tree and you can pee on me!"  I asked her, what are you doing with that album? She told me some boyfriend dated her once and gave it to her. She just put it with the rest of the albums.  I told her to throw it away.  

57 minutes ago, Retired said:

Sgt. When I married my wife, she had this album which I cannot remember the name of it now. I would not recommend to anyone. All the songs sounded lame but one song I still remember the start of the lyrics.  "Heh, hey Babe won't you be my dog, and I can be your tree and you can pee on me!"  I asked her, what are you doing with that album? She told me some boyfriend dated her once and gave it to her. She just put it with the rest of the albums.  I told her to throw it away.  

I believe it was “On the verge of getting it on” George Clinton/Parliament Funkadelic 

more wasted brain cells I wish I could recycle. 

On 1/7/2024 at 11:30 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Joni Mitchell - Court And Spark

She just did Both Sides Now on the Grammys, the way she's been doing it for quite some time now.  Beautiful.

rct

9 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

I believe it was “On the verge of getting it on” George Clinton/Parliament Funkadelic 

Got a few P-Funk related albums. I saw George Clinton last year and it was AWFUL. Sound was bad, and I actually think I went to a rap concert instead of a funk show. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Could be? I know she said her date was a creep and never dated him again.