Gibson Brands Forums

Albums You Should Own

40 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

91637ou52BL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Heck yeah brother! You beat me to it. I have a 1st pressing (vinyl) of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Greatest Hits/ A&M Recordings. It sounds sooooo good through my system (1,500+ watt, dual sub 7.2 system with high end speakers and a Gemini PDT-6000 turntable)  I grew up listening to this album on my Dad's Panasonic 2 channel stereo tiny speaker home system and loved it then. My mind was blown when I played it through my system after restoring the turntable. I was a Fifth Bone/Bass Trombone player in a HS funk/jazz band in my teens that was rated No. 1 in the USA by Down Beat Magazine. We recorded albums each year, and toured Europe the summer after my sophomore year. (Jim Culbertson was our director. He is the father of recording artist Brian Culbertson, btw.. Check him out on Youtube. Jim plays lead trumpet on his sons albums.) So, obviously, I really appreciate horns.

I always get a kick out of playing "Spanish Flea" for my older friends who all say, "It's a great little car.", when I play it. (per the Mazda GLC ads). Yes, the "Dating Game" references are called out as well, LOL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Heck yeah brother! You beat me to it. I have a 1st pressing (vinyl) of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Greatest Hits/ A&M Recordings. It sounds sooooo good through my system (1,500+ watt, dual sub 7.2 system with high end speakers and a Gemini PDT-6000 turntable)  I grew up listening to this album on my Dad's Panasonic 2 channel stereo tiny speaker home system and loved it then. My mind was blown when I played it through my system after restoring the turntable. I was a Fifth Bone/Bass Trombone player in a HS funk/jazz band in my teens that was rated No. 1 in the USA by Down Beat Magazine. We recorded albums each year, and toured Europe the summer after my sophomore year. (Jim Culbertson was our director. He is the father of recording artist Brian Culbertson, btw.. Check him out on Youtube. Jim plays lead trumpet on his sons albums.) So, obviously, I really appreciate horns.

I always get a kick out of playing "Spanish Flea" for my older friends who all say, "It's a great little car.", when I play it. (per the Mazda GLC ads). Yes, the "Dating Game" references are called out as well, LOL.

Yes sir.

I inherited all of my parents record albums, and going thru them (and dropping the turntable needle on most of them over the past few years) has been a trip down 1960's memory lane.

You have a very rich and interesting musical history, good sir.
I would love to hear more stories about your European tour back in the day.
That had to have been an epic adventure.
Must have been quite a job for Mr. Culbertson, keeping all you young musicians reeled in safely.

🙂

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, saturn said:

I just like it. It reminds me of Abbey Road. Not saying they are anywhere as good as The Beatles. But there are recurring themes like on AR and the production is perfect. I don't think Billy was in his 50s when he recorded it. 

Maybe not but he is 51 right now, and dresses the part of a 15 year old with angst in his pants from a B Movie. 

It reminds you of Abbey Road. Please put the crack pipe down. Did we learn nothing from Whitney Houston?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Yes sir.

I inherited all of my parents record albums, and going thru them (and dropping the turntable needle on most of them over the past few years) has been a trip down 1960's memory lane.

You have a very rich and interesting musical history, good sir.
I would love to hear more stories about your European tour back in the day.
That had to have been an epic adventure.
Must have been quite a job for Mr. Culbertson, keeping all you young musicians reeled in safely.

🙂

Wow, that's a massive story. I will say that because of how it unfolded, (and because of what I was forced to do), Brian Culbertson's life took a different path which led to his successful music career. 

6 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

tGkBFcAVovk5EiSKcy5ivF-650-80.jpg.webp

Indeed. I always though Clapton played better when he was in a band where he was not the main focus.  His solo stuff is good, but I would rather listen to this, and Cream, and Derek than Cocaine or Wonderful Tonight ever again.

On 2/7/2024 at 9:23 PM, rct said:

It is.  They did a great job on that record, they really caught it well.  I just chuckle when people bash them guys.  I've done that stuff, I've had to sing it and play it.  It'll make you work for what little money we get.

rct

If the production is the album is good that is one thing. I just do not click with the so called music they make. If that is called bashing them I guess it is. Its like being picked on when I was younger. It happened to all of us, but now we use the buzz word BULLYING and it sounds so much worse than - picked on. 

Who doesn't click with you? Zappa, Grateful Dead, King Crimson? There is no doubt all of them made well produced records. Is that the mark of a great album the production, or the music that is on it. Lots of people thought The White Album was too muddy in its production, and certainly there is no disagreement that Exile On Main St is muddy as hell. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?

Here is one he produced and played on you might have:

Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell

I have both on some sort of colored vinyl, and CD too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Best Yes solo album of them all. While not a huge fan of Chris singing lead, the music is killer.

yea, I bought all their solo albums that year. his was by far the best. great stuff ...

7 minutes ago, Karloff said:

yea, I bought all their solo albums that year. his was by far the best. great stuff ...

Alan White's was not to bad. At least he chose someone to sing on it. Steve sung on his, and he can not sing at all. He is horrible. 

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If the production is the album is good that is one thing. I just do not click with the so called music they make. If that is called bashing them I guess it is. Its like being picked on when I was younger. It happened to all of us, but now we use the buzz word BULLYING and it sounds so much worse than - picked on. 

Who doesn't click with you? Zappa, Grateful Dead, King Crimson? There is no doubt all of them made well produced records. Is that the mark of a great album the production, or the music that is on it. Lots of people thought The White Album was too muddy in its production, and certainly there is no disagreement that Exile On Main St is muddy as hell. 

Right.  There's a metric crap tonne of garbage that I, as a 64 year old, am supposed to just adore.  I don't.  The difference is that I keep my mouth shut about it because it is, after all, nothing but pop music and a matter of taste.

The beatles were some lucky twats that got recorded doing certain things first.  If it wasn't them it would have been a completely different bunch of twats the following week, and we would never have heard of any of them.

But I tend to keep those things to myself. And I certainly don't claim to have some ability to judge and determine the overall quality of any music or musician, whether I like it or not.

That's the difference.  No sh1t, most people here do nothing but whine and gripe about what they call whining pop stars when they even talk about music, which is pretty rare.  I don't know where all the guitar players went, but they haven't been showing up here for a long time now.  It's like we are at a guitar forum that has like zero connection to music, making it, (god forbid) selling it, touring it, whatever.  It's a friggin old folks home dayroom.

Or, I'm just old and grumpy.  Either way is ok.

rct

25 minutes ago, rct said:

The beatles were some lucky twats that got recorded doing certain things first.  If it wasn't them it would have been a completely different bunch of twats the following week, and we would never have heard of any of them.

I will admit the stars did align for those guys, but look at their body of work. Its stunning. Sometimes putting out 2 albums a year, and singles, and touring, and all the other BS they did. The Lads just didn't do the boring old rock that was the flavor of the day, they pushed it with the help of Mr. Martin. When compared to what the Stones did at the time, the Stones are laughable, and copied what they did 6 months later, everyone did. And if your theory holds true, why did it not happen for some band a week, two weeks or a year before or a week after them?  Why was it Zeppelin after them. Somethings are just the way they are. 

When was the last time a band put out that much quality music in such a short time? They only recorded from 63 - the early part of 70. And they recorded 12 full studio albums, plus one extra one with only them on side one, and an orchestra score on side 2. 

U2 has taken as much as 6 years between some albums. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I will admit the stars did align for those guys, but look at their body of work. Its stunning. Sometimes putting out 2 albums a year, and singles, and touring, and all the other BS they did. The Lads just didn't do the boring old rock that was the flavor of the day, they pushed it with the help of Mr. Martin. When compared to what the Stones did at the time, the Stones are laughable, and copied what they did 6 months later, everyone did. And if your theory holds true, why did it not happen for some band a week, two weeks or a year before or a week after them?  Why was it Zeppelin after them. Somethings are just the way they are. 

When was the last time a band put out that much quality music in such a short time? They only recorded from 63 - the early part of 70. And they recorded 12 full studio albums, plus one extra one with only them on side one, and an orchestra score on side 2. 

U2 has taken as much as 6 years between some albums. 

Talking about who you hate doesn't make who you love any better.  If I had the singer in U2 I'd take 15 years between records if that is what was needed to make one that sells as many as they have.

There is a reason WHY people make records?  EVerybody who makes records, not just the people you hate.  The beatles were minimum wage musicians, they had to make them that fast, and they had a market that was fairly roomy, so it could absorb and move that much material.  U2 moves 20 friggin million recordings of their own farts, they don't have to do anything if they don't want to.

It is and has been for 40 years an entirely different music business world and not at all a valid comparison.

rct

Well I don’t disagree but I friggin hate Bono/U2. Every time they come on the radio at work I’m embarrassed and rush to turn it down. I sincerely think Bono is a clown with no talent and the rest of the band is no better 

With that said I’m completely pumped for the Swifty Bowl

I think anyone selling more records than me has talent and is usually in a half decent band.  I can hate something such that I can't listen to it, but I don't question their ability.  Even if that ability is just standing out front doing the dirty work on songs that a team of people you'll never see wrote for the pop star.  

rct

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Damn. For some band who can't stand, you devote an awful lot of time and effort typing about them.   

5 hours ago, rct said:

Michael_Jackson_-_Thriller.png

BillyIdolRebelYell.jpg

Adam_and_the_Ants_Prince_Charming.jpg

rct

The MJ Thriller album is a favorite of mine. The production value is great, every song jams, and EVH plays on it so it has to be great, lol. (I was hesitant to post it here for fear of the slings and arrows I expected to be launched at me for posting it 🙂) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

The MJ Thriller album is a favorite of mine. The production value is great, every song jams, and EVH plays on it so it has to be great, lol. (I was hesitant to post it here for fear of the slings and arrows I expected to be launched at me for posting it 🙂) 

It was groundbreaking in a lot of ways, influenced every genre of recording after it, sold more than anything.  Besides being a really good bunch of songs it did everything a record in the music business is supposed to, and did them all well.  It really is one of the greats.

rct

• Like 1