Gibson Brands Forums

NMD Tascam DP-24SD 24 track

Based on the awesome advice, knowledge, and spot on recommendations from Gibson Forum members, I decided on and purchased, a Tascam DP-24SD  24 Track Digital Portastudio Multi-Track Audio Recorder , with 8 XLR Inputs, Effects, Mastering,  and Color Screen. Got it today and I can't wait to start learning!

Anyone interested in viewing my original post/thread, where I asked for and received advice about this purchase, may do so  here:

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/178572-advice-about-buying-a-digital-8-track-recorder/page/2/#comment-2210751

Here she is!

Cv2szq5.jpg?1

• Like 1

Mighty fine.

I used to really enjoy multi-tracking. I seem to have lost the patience lately and prefer live (acoustic) stuff.

You'll get many years of enjoyment out of that fine machine, I'm sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations. That is an excellent choice..

I evolved from Reel to Reel, to 4 Track Cassette Portastudios, to 16 Track ADAT’s, to the 24 Track Tascam 2488.. I really liked the idea of having a complete Recording Studio in one unit that could record our 4 Piece Band simultaneously.. We used it to record “The Larson Brothers Band” first 2 Albums.. The results were great sounding CD’s…

You might want to join the Tascam Forum.. It was a very helpful source & a fun place to hang out…

I hope you have a lot of fun making music on your 2488! Welcome to the Club!

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 10:50 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

time to RTFM.  

So, I had to ask my teenaged daughter what your acronym meant. After finding out, I 100% agree. I am defiantly one of those guys who actually reads the user manual before even turning on a new device. Since I bought the recorder/mixer lightly used, it did not come with the manual. So, I downloaded the pdf and began to print myself a 80 page hard copy, only to be thwarted by Murphy's Law. Heading to the store to buy more printer ink and printer paper soon, LOL.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 8:55 PM, Sheepdog1969 said:

Based on the awesome advice, knowledge, and spot on recommendations from Gibson Forum members, I decided on and purchased, a Tascam DP-24SD  24 Track Digital Portastudio Multi-Track Audio Recorder , with 8 XLR Inputs, Effects, Mastering,  and Color Screen. Got it today and I can't wait to start learning!

Anyone interested in viewing my original post/thread, where I asked for and received advice about this purchase, may do so  here:

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/178572-advice-about-buying-a-digital-8-track-recorder/page/2/#comment-2210751

Here she is!

Cv2szq5.jpg?1

How's the 24 doin you Sheepdog?

rct

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rct said:

How's the 24 doin you Sheepdog?

rct

Still book learnin' and acquiring a few more instrument specific microphones. I am also creating a re-usable, modular, isolation "booth" for clean takes, (and easy take downs, lol).  Shouldn't be long till I can start laying a few practice tracks. I will defiantly post the first song I complete on it.  Thanks for checking in my friend.

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Very nice. I'm still using an ancient (well, two actually) 16 track m/c

wdj1nudkadbmncwoffpg.jpg

Those are great too! I have a friend who had one. I used my 2488 & we’d email each othe WAV File Tracks back & forth & build Songs.. I’ve moved on to Pro Tools & Logic but both of those made good Recordings…. They just lacked more Production Technologies…

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have you guys seen this tiny mixer. Pretty amazing for something so small but its not cheap (nearly £1000). That is very cool though. Even though I dont need it and in no way can afford it, I still want one  😄 

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 7:33 PM, Sheepdog1969 said:

Still book learnin' and acquiring a few more instrument specific microphones. I am also creating a re-usable, modular, isolation "booth" for clean takes, (and easy take downs, lol).  Shouldn't be long till I can start laying a few practice tracks. I will defiantly post the first song I complete on it.  Thanks for checking in my friend.

How are you doing with the Tascam? 

21 hours ago, Larsongs said:

How are you doing with the Tascam? 

Planning to lay the guitar and vocal tracks, for the first song I want to record, this weekend. I picked up a Sennheiser e 609 mic, and I hope it records acoustic guitars as well as it does for my amped electrics.  I recorded a layered version of Nirvana's Something in the way  on a flip phone a few months before buying the Tascam, and want to record it again (properly) on the Tascam. (I used the flip phone's audio record function and internal mic to record one "track", then I would Bluetooth that file to my pc, which is integrated by HDMI into my surround sound system. I then would play that file through my surround sound system as I played the next part/track, while recording on the flip phone. I kept repeating the process until I had 8 layered "tracks". It actually sounded pretty good, thanks to my previous experience recording music, despite the obvious short comings of this "hack job" process).  Thankfully, I have a Yamaha DX 100 and an Alesis Concert electric "piano" with multiple voices, so laying the orchestral lines (strings) really adds to the songs depth in an "at home" recording. I think I have acquired all of the required cabling and accoutrement needed to connect all of my gear/instruments to the Tascam. 

I may be reaching out to you for some "real world" recording/engineering advice, as I muddle my way through this first attempt at a "professional" digital multi-track recording. The Tascam forum has been a great resource too, so thanks for recommending it, btw. 

Wish me luck and a quiet recording environment!

Edited by Sheepdog1969
typo