Gibson Brands Forums

2024 J180 Everly Brothers Edition

I have on order the new J180 Everly Brothers guitar that is coming out next month.  I am so glad Gibson decided to reissue this guitar again.  I heard last year that Gibson was going to make this guitar again and I had no clue when it would be released.  This guitar will go right next to the M2M J180 I had built last year.  Thank you Gibson.

• Like 1

Damn you,  motorcitychick…..lol….  Just when I’m content with my current stable, you bring another thoroughbred to my attention.  We just sold our old house (moved into a bigger one) for more than expected and my boss of 53 years has given me permission to buy something nice for myself.  I realize we “can’t take it with us” when we go, but we can sure-as-hell have fun with it while we’re here. ……I have always been drawn to the bigger guitars and I suspect I’ll be watching for this guitar.  Thanks for the inspiration.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 8:39 AM, motorcitychick said:

I have on order the new J180 Everly Brothers guitar that is coming out next month.  I am so glad Gibson decided to reissue this guitar again.  I heard last year that Gibson was going to make this guitar again and I had no clue when it would be released.  This guitar will go right next to the M2M J180 I had built last year.  Thank you Gibson.

I’ve been talking with my local music shop about purchasing the new Gibson everly brothers set to release at the end of March. Guy says he’s not sure what price will be. Can you share how much you paid for it? I wanna be prepared so the moment it hits the store I can go get it

I won't reveal the price I paid, but if your sales guy doesn't know what the price is.  I would find somewhere else to purchase it.  My go to guy is Tony Higbee at the Guitar Center in Nashville, where I ordered it.  He can help you, if you really want to purchase one.  The release date is March 26th on these guitars from Gibson.

• Confused 2

On 2/14/2024 at 12:19 PM, MissouriPicker said:

Damn you,  motorcitychick…..lol….  Just when I’m content with my current stable, you bring another thoroughbred to my attention.  We just sold our old house (moved into a bigger one) for more than expected and my boss of 53 years has given me permission to buy something nice for myself.  I realize we “can’t take it with us” when we go, but we can sure-as-hell have fun with it while we’re here. ……I have always been drawn to the bigger guitars and I suspect I’ll be watching for this guitar.  Thanks for the inspiration.

Here, maybe this will fit the bill, chuckle.  A bit of a pastiche but the story is cool….. https://www.williesguitars.com/product/1963-gibson-everly-brothers/

So I admit, I’m confused. It sounds like you are basing the release on something you read somewhere that hinted it was happening, and that your GC guy took an order for one. 

I just did a deep dive on google, and I can’t find any promo/prerelease blurbs or teaser info about this guitar coming out this year, much less this month. The only posts I could find mentioning it specifically were links back to your posts on other forums talking about the rumor and ordering it.  

And more odd, there was no mention  in the GuitarWorld write up of the private event you went to at NAMM.  You’d think this would be a feature in the story.  

I found the “old vintage” store clip of an Everly, but I didn’t gather they were necessarily saying that was a new model.  If that was the one you were taking to be notice of a new one coming out, I felt it was more one of those “they were getting an old one in” teaser video.  Why would a one off shop like, “Old Vintage” be handed the debut, when there are much more connected Gibson vendors they could give the fun to?  

If it were me, with this much silence around such a big deal, I would be checking with my GC they understood I wanted the official new “Everly” release.  And that they didn’t just write up another order for a M2M.  My GC doesn’t have anything about it either.  

Unless they do this occasionally, and I’ve not happened to catch it, I’d think Gibson would be flogging it by now with pre-release teasers, drumming up interest and pre-orders, especially for a production run model. 

Really, stores should have their orders in, ready for the debut, and stock readied for shipping someplace by now.  These things don’t happen overnight.  What would be the point of keeping a major release like this secret?   

Or maybe Gibson works differently than other large manufacturers.  Really, I do sincerely hope my cynicism is completely unfounded.  Very much looking  forward to be proven dead wrong 🙂

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

My sales receipt has March 26th release date and I was also informed last year from the Montana plant, that Gibson was going to make another Everly edition.  I happened to know people, who keep me informed on guitars that I would be interested in.  I did not go to a private event at Namm.   Gibson had a private showing somewhere at a hotel in Los Angles during Namm.  The person who went there, posted photo's of Gibson guitars that were being released and the Everly guitar was one of them.  This information I found on a forum. 😊

Edited by motorcitychick
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

So I admit, I’m confused. It sounds like you are basing the release on something you read somewhere that hinted it was happening, and that your GC guy took an order for one. 

I just did a deep dive on google, and I can’t find any promo/prerelease blurbs or teaser info about this guitar coming out this year, much less this month. The only posts I could find mentioning it specifically were links back to your posts on other forums talking about the rumor and ordering it.  

And more odd, there was no mention  in the GuitarWorld write up of the private event you went to at NAMM.  You’d think this would be a feature in the story.  

I found the “old vintage” store clip of an Everly, but I didn’t gather they were necessarily saying that was a new model.  If that was the one you were taking to be notice of a new one coming out, I felt it was more one of those “they were getting an old one in” teaser video.  Why would a one off shop like, “Old Vintage” be handed the debut, when there are much more connected Gibson vendors they could give the fun to?  

If it were me, with this much silence around such a big deal, I would be checking with my GC they understood I wanted the official new “Everly” release.  And that they didn’t just write up another order for a M2M.  My GC doesn’t have anything about it either.  

Unless they do this occasionally, and I’ve not happened to catch it, I’d think Gibson would be flogging it by now with pre-release teasers, drumming up interest and pre-orders, especially for a production run model. 

Really, stores should have their orders in, ready for the debut, and stock readied for shipping someplace by now.  These things don’t happen overnight.  What would be the point of keeping a major release like this secret?   

Or maybe Gibson works differently than other large manufacturers.  Really, I do sincerely hope my cynicism is completely unfounded.  Very much looking  forward to be proven dead wrong 🙂

Good work, P-Dog.

3 hours ago, motorcitychick said:

I happened to know people. . .

This information I found on "A" forum. 😊

wow.

Cool, and sure, there, one more dive and I finally found a pic buried in the Music Radar coverage of NAMM. So yes, apparently there is at least one on the hoof.  It wasn’t listed in the March releases in the article, but maybe that got happened after NAMM.  Looking forward to the pics /demo when you get it. 

Glad they're putting them back on the production line up. I still wish they would make a reproduction of the original like they have with other models... got closer with the Cat Stevens model, but still way off from the original.

I had a '92 Everly. I did not care for the sound. I seem to prefer larger bodies for the maple sound. The J185 seems to be my break off point. I've tried a few models, the bigger the better. Here's a list of some maple models that I have or had. Id like to try a J45 maple.

Super 400 - L5 - J200 - J185 - J180 - J165 - L1

The history behind this model is the allure for me. There's been several variations Gibson has produced but never back to the original. Interestingly the 60s and 70s Everly models weren't called the J-180. Nothing in brochures and catalogs until 1987 when after being long discontinued, the "J-180" was announced as a model "inspired by" the Everly acoustic.